New Transifex Resource: mx-rofi-manager

For suggestions, procedures and requests for translations of documentation and apps to languages other than English.
dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: New Transifex Resource: mx-rofi-manager

#21 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Melber wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:41 am
kobaian wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:07 am
dolphin_oracle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:47 am in the selection box, the names for the locations (CENTER, NORTHWEST, etc...) are not translated. The only place they are included in localization is in the help text.
Thanks.
So I leave the English names in the help text as they are.
Yes, unfortunately at the moment the selection box only uses english. The output is what gets written to the rasi file, so if the selection box entries get translated they would then need to be translated back to english before writing to the rasi. Another thing to look at...
we came discuss in the dev forum if you like, but one I deal deal with that when I use combo boxes is to pull the index of the values rather than than the values themselves, and after the selection, relate the index selected to what should happen. then you can use translations in the combo box.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#22 Post by Jerry3904 »

Oops
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

#23 Post by Jerry3904 »

Would people understand if we use the abbreviations?

N
NE
E
etc
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#24 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Jerry3904 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:55 am Would people understand if we use the abbreviations?

N
NE
E
etc
people might understand, but the app will not.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

marcelocripe

#25 Post by marcelocripe »

Jerry3904 and Dolphin Oracle, the English language acronyms cause more confusion and make it difficult to understand for translation. I prefer full words and texts with a beginning, middle and end.
... I'm NOT a translator, don't have a login, I struggle with English.
FullScale4Me, I can't read or write in English. I try to interpret the automatic translation from the English language to my Brazilian Portuguese language to build the texts of the translations.

- - - - -

Jerry3904 e Dolphin Oracle, as siglas em idioma Inglês causam mais confusão e dificultam a compreensão para a tradução. Eu prefiro as palavras completas e os textos com começo, meio e fim.
... I'm NOT a translator, don't have a login, I struggle with English.
FullScale4Me, eu não sei ler ou escrever em idioma Inglês. Eu tento interpretar a tradução automática do idioma Inglês para o meu idioma Português do Brasil para construir os textos das traduções.

kobaian

#26 Post by kobaian »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:56 am
Jerry3904 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:55 am Would people understand if we use the abbreviations?

N
NE
E
etc
people might understand, but the app will not.
I think the best solution will be not to change anything in the app but rather in this help text. After adding definitions to the help e.g.: "Northwest=top-left" "South=bottom" etc. I could write in Polish "Northwest=w lewym górnym rogu" "South=na dole", other people could translate it to their own languages in the same way and there will be no problem in translation at all. Everything will be clear for everyone.

My another, maybe not so very important, problem is how to translate all these names with dash like "MX-Rofi-Help", "MX-Rofi-Recolor", "Rofi-Position" etc. I really hate doing this, because I'm always not sure, if preserving these "dashes" and the original word order in translation is important in that case or not. The problem is, that in Polish we use dashes in a little bit different way than in English and we have also a different word order (in most cases in the natural Polish speech there will be no dashes and Rofi will be the last word). But if all this should be treated as a proper name of an app or a script we are more likely to preserve dashes and the original word order. And I know also that preserving dashes is sometimes not only a question of style, but something more important from the developer's point of view. Without knowing the whole context for what these dash-names stands, the decision is really hard.

There is also another, more philosophical question related, if for example the MX-Rofi-Recolor tool should be treated as an MX-tool for recolor rofi, or a recolor tool that is a part of a larger set of tools called "MX-Rofi" (like MX-Fluxbox is also a set of distinct tools and not only MX with Fluxbox). Poles have off course two different word orders for these two options. ;)
Desktop PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, Gigabyte H81M-S2PV, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2000. Laptop: MacBook Late 2008, Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM. Netbook: Asus EEEPC Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM. System: MX23 64bit/32bit Fluxbox.

marcelocripe

#27 Post by marcelocripe »

Hello kobaan.

If I was able to correctly understand the automatic translation from the English language to my Brazilian Portuguese language, the word order in Polish should be the same as the order in Portuguese, where the name "MX" goes to the end of the sentence.

Brazilian users participating in Telegram and WhatsApp groups reported to me that they have great difficulties when there is no pt-BR translation and get lost when the menus (generated by the .desktop files) are not translated. When there is no translation with the adaptation to the pt-BR language, users are bothered by the presence of "MX" at the beginning of the texts and in several different menus, as this is not the natural order for our pt-BR language. For example, the adaptation of the translation to the pt-BR language of the name "MX-Rofi-Manager" became "Gerenciador de Configurações do Rofi MX", because this is the order and way in which Brazilians expect to find text in the interface graphics or in the menus. The dashes are kept when they are used in commands in the Terminal.
The other issue that makes it difficult for us translators is when there is no programmer's comments guiding us on what we can do in the translation of each input. We have no way of guessing whether the text will be used in the graphical interface, in the menus or in the Terminal window. The comment texts can be long and detail what is not present in the sentence to be translated, but I know that adding the comments takes more work for the programmer or for those who manage Transifex in the respective program (resource).
I hope my example will help you choose the way that might be easier for Poles to properly understand your translation.
I am a bit concerned that many languages, including those of some of MXFB's most ardent supporters (German, Greek, Polish etc.), remain empty or nearly so. We are on path for a first public release by mid-December, and if anyone has time we'd very much appreciate seeing progress before we have to pull the files.
Jerry3904, we don't know if all volunteer translators have received notification from Transifex. I received the notification from Transifex after I had already translated the new phrases for this resource. Also, if volunteer translators don't go to the forum and see this topic, they won't be aware of the update to this feature.

Kobaian, please translate my original text straight into your language for you to get a better translation than translating from English which is an automatic translation.

- - - - -

Witaj Kobaanie.

Jeśli udało mi się poprawnie zrozumieć automatyczne tłumaczenie z języka angielskiego na mój brazylijski język portugalski, kolejność wyrazów w języku polskim powinna być taka sama jak w języku portugalskim, gdzie nazwa „MX” znajduje się na końcu zdania.

Brazylijscy użytkownicy uczestniczący w grupach Telegram i WhatsApp zgłosili mi, że mają duże trudności, gdy nie ma tłumaczenia na pt-BR i gubią się, gdy menu (generowane przez pliki .desktop) nie są tłumaczone. Gdy nie ma tłumaczenia z adaptacją do języka pt-BR, użytkownikom przeszkadza obecność „MX” na początku tekstów oraz w kilku różnych menu, gdyż nie jest to naturalna kolejność dla naszego języka pt-BR . Np. adaptacja tłumaczenia na język pt-BR nazwy „MX-Rofi-Manager” stała się "Gerenciador de Configurações do Rofi MX", bo taka jest kolejność i sposób, w jaki Brazylijczycy spodziewają się znaleźć tekst w interfejsie grafiki lub w menu. Myślniki są zachowywane, gdy są używane w poleceniach w Terminalu.
Inną kwestią, która utrudnia nam, tłumaczom, jest brak komentarzy programisty wskazujących na to, co możemy zrobić w tłumaczeniu każdego wejścia. Nie mamy możliwości odgadnięcia, czy tekst będzie używany w interfejsie graficznym, w menu czy w oknie Terminala. Teksty komentarzy mogą być długie i szczegółowo opisywać to, czego nie ma w tłumaczonym zdaniu, ale wiem, że dodanie komentarzy wymaga więcej pracy programiście lub tym, którzy zarządzają Transifexem w danym programie (zasobie).
Mam nadzieję, że mój przykład pomoże Ci wybrać sposób, w jaki Polacy mogą łatwiej zrozumieć Twoje tłumaczenie.
Jestem trochę zaniepokojony tym, że wiele języków, w tym języki niektórych najbardziej zagorzałych zwolenników MXFB (niemiecki, grecki, polski itp.), pozostaje pustych lub prawie pustych. Jesteśmy na ścieżce do pierwszego publicznego wydania do połowy grudnia, a jeśli ktoś ma czas, będziemy bardzo wdzięczni za zobaczenie postępów, zanim będziemy musieli pobrać pliki.
Jerry3904, nie wiemy, czy wszyscy tłumacze-wolontariusze otrzymali powiadomienie od Transifex. Otrzymałem powiadomienie od Transifex po tym, jak przetłumaczyłem już nowe wyrażenia dla tego zasobu. Ponadto, jeśli tłumacze-wolontariusze nie wejdą na forum i nie zobaczą tego tematu, nie będą świadomi aktualizacji tej funkcji.

Kobaian, przetłumacz mój oryginalny tekst bezpośrednio na swój język, aby uzyskać lepsze tłumaczenie niż tłumaczenie z angielskiego, które jest tłumaczeniem automatycznym.

- - - - -

Olá kobaian.

Se eu consegui compreender corretamente a tradução automática do idioma Inglês para o meu idioma Português do Brasil, a ordem das palavras em Polonês deve ser igual a ordem em Português, onde o nome "MX" vai para o final da frase.

Os usuários Brasileiros participantes dos grupos de Telegram e WhatsApp relataram para mim que possuem grande dificuldades quando não há a tradução para pt-BR e ficam perdidos quando os menus (gerados pelos arquivos .desktop) não são traduzidos. Quando não há a tradução com a adaptação para o idioma pt-BR os usuários ficam incomodados por existir "MX" no início dos textos e em vários menus diferentes, pois não é esta a ordem natural para o nosso idioma pt-BR. Por exemplo, a adaptação da tradução para o idioma pt-BR do nome "MX-Rofi-Manager" ficou como "Gerenciador de Configurações do Rofi MX", porque é esta a ordem e a forma como os Brasileiros esperam encontrar um texto na interface gráfica ou nos menus. O traços são mantidos quando são utilizados nos comando no Terminal.
A outra questão que dificulta para nós tradutores é quando não existe os comentários do programador orientando sobre o que podemos fazer na tradução de cada entrada. Não temos como advinhar se o texto será utilizado na interface gráfica, nos menus ou na janela do Terminal. Os textos dos comentários podem ser longos e detalharem aquilo que não está presente na frase a ser traduzida, mas eu sei que adicionar os comentários desprende mais trabalho para o programador ou para quem gerencia o Transifex no respectivo programa (recurso).
Eu espero que o meu exemplo te ajude a escolher a forma que possa ser mais fácil para os Poloneses compreenderem adequadamente a sua tradução.
I am a bit concerned that many languages, including those of some of MXFB's most ardent supporters (German, Greek, Polish etc.), remain empty or nearly so. We are on path for a first public release by mid-December, and if anyone has time we'd very much appreciate seeing progress before we have to pull the files.
Jerry3904, nós não sabemos se todos os tradutores voluntários receberam a notificação do Transifex. Eu recebi a notificação do Transifex após já ter traduzido as novas frases deste recurso. Além do mais, se os tradutores voluntários não acessarem o fórum e verem este tópico, não ficarão sabendo da atualização deste recurso.

Kobaian, por favor, traduza o meu texto original direto para o seu idioma para você obter uma tradução melhor do que traduzir a partir do Inglês que é uma tradução automática.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#28 Post by Jerry3904 »

Hey everybody: we have just added 10 new strings that were needed to solve a problem, (sorry). If you can return and finish them up during the next 2 weeks that would be greatly appreciated.

@marcelocripe Thanks for these comments and suggestions. i'm not totally sure how to implement them, to be honest, since many languages exist with their own conventions. I also don't know how to reach potential translators who do not come to the Forum or look at this particular topic--though I have posted this on the Facebook MX page and, occasionally, I post directly in some of the language forums here.

Wallon

#29 Post by Wallon »

The translations into fr_BE and fr are finished.

The remarks of marcelocripe are also valid for French.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#30 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks.

Return to “Translations”