Internet wifi and ethernet unstable

Help on all MX Re-spins
Sora

Internet wifi and ethernet unstable

#1 Post by Sora »

Hi,

I'm having internet wifi and ethernet problems, and here's what I've tried to solve this:
1. When using wifi the biggest problem is just getting connected. First it takes like an hour or 2 hours, meanwhile it's continually adding new SSID connections - Netgear16 (this is the original), Netgear16 1, Netgear16 2... etc.
2. So I bought an external 3 port USB and Ethernet by ANKER. I turned off the wifi and plugged in the Ethernet cable via the USB. While the Ethernet connects now automatically, it is constantly dropping - every other second it drops (literally), then reconnects. It's so unstable that it's difficult to even download updates. Although today I was able to download 96 new updates, but still the problem exists.
3. On 2 different laptops in our house, one with Windows and the other with Mac, I don't have any of these problems.
4.And my internet provider said that we are receiving the max. and everything looks good from their view. I tested with SpeedTest: Ping 6 Ms, Download 93.28 Mbps., Upload is 94.8 Mbps.

I really enjoy using MX and AV Linux, but maybe my laptop is not compatible? Here are the specs:

Specs of my laptop:
OS Debian GNU/Linux 11 Bullseye - AV Linux with MX21.2 Wildflower
Motherboard HP 86 FD
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3500IU with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx - 1 physical processor, 4 cores, 8 threads
RAM 5993424 KiB
Graphics 3286x 1080 AMD Ryzen Vega 8
Storage Samsung PSSD T7 Shield
Audio USB - Audio - logitech Webcan C930e AND Family 17H models 10 HD Audio controller analog

Thanks so much for your help and for this forum,
Sora

Stevo
Developer

Re: Internet wifi and ethernet unstable

#2 Post by Stevo »

Please run "Quick System Info" from the menu (start button), which will put the info on the clipboard, and then just paste that into a reply here.

That'll tell us more about your hardware and what the issues may be.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

And please do not double post again!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Huckleberry Finn

#4 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Also if possible try with an official MX21.2 iso on live session, whether it's ok there.

Sora

#5 Post by Sora »

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
Memory : 5993MB (2437MB used)
Machine Type : Notebook
Operating System : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
User Name : Sora (Unknown)
Date/Time : Mon 12 Sep 2022 05:00:58 PM MDT
-Display-
Resolution : 3286x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (raven, LLVM 14.0.5, DRM 3.47, 5.19.0-4.2-liquorix-amd64)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - Logitech Webcam C930e
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - Logitech Webcam C930e
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Video Bus
Wireless hotkeys
ELAN071A:00 04F3:30FD Mouse
ELAN071A:00 04F3:30FD Touchpad
HP WMI hotkeys
HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm:3
HD-Audio Generic Mic
HD-Audio Generic Headphone
HP TrueVision HD Camera: HP Tru
Logitech Webcam C930e
Logitech Webcam C930e
Compx 2.4G Receiver
Compx 2.4G Receiver Mouse
Compx 2.4G Receiver
Compx 2.4G Receiver Consumer Control
Compx 2.4G Receiver System Control
ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device
USB OPTICAL MOUSE
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
Samsung PSSD T7 Shield

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

Quick System Info is a small app in the MX Tools menu in MX or AVLinux. It will show more relevant info, including what network hardware your computer contains and what drivers they are using. That's kind of important to have when troubleshooting network problems.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Sora

#7 Post by Sora »

Thanks - I finally found it and copied and pasted here. This was just one category. I found it in System Profiler and Benchmarks. There were other categories - this one was called Computer - Summary. There are a lot more in computer such as... Computer - OS, Computer - Boot etc. and then there is a category for Devices, one for Network and one for Benchmarks. Do you want one in particular or me to copy each?
Thanks,
Sora

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

Sora wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:09 pm Thanks - I finally found it and copied and pasted here. This was just one category. I found it in System Profiler and Benchmarks. There were other categories - this one was called Computer - Summary. There are a lot more in computer such as... Computer - OS, Computer - Boot etc. and then there is a category for Devices, one for Network and one for Benchmarks. Do you want one in particular or me to copy each?
Thanks,
Sora
That doesn't sound right. Type: Quick System Info in the search field in the Whisker menu AKA Application menu. When you click on it to open it should copy automatically, right click and paste it here in the forum.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

timkb4cq
Developer

#9 Post by timkb4cq »

If you are running pure debian, we can get the same information from

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrza
(you may have to install inxi first)
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Sora

#10 Post by Sora »

When I type in Quick System Info into the Application menu...nothing comes up, it literally goes blank. If I type in Quick System then I get AVL-MXE Quick Set-up - totally not what we need.

I found, by trial and error, that if I type in just System Info, then I get System Profiler and Benchmarks. ...which I have been searching for since I got on to AV last February ;) -- But that's not going to help?
Also when I put AV on my computer it said it is MX21.2 Wildflower. So I'm running in MX21.2 right now.

Next I'll try timkb4cq...but what is inxi - do I get that on the internet first? I'll try it anyway.

Return to “MX Respins”