MXDE-EFL 21.1 'stEvo' Released!

Help on all MX Re-spins
siamhie

Re: MXDE-EFL 21.1 'stEvo' Released!

#21 Post by siamhie »

Desktop crashed right after that last post, so I followed the crash report suggestion. fingers-crossed

Code: Select all

╔═[siamhie@mxefl]═[11:54  25 08 22]══════════════════════════════════════════════[~]
╚═> sudo echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope 
bash: /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope: Permission denied
╔═[siamhie@mxefl]═[11:54  25 08 22]══════════════════════════════════════════════[~]
╚═> su -
Password: 
root@mxefl:~# echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope 
root@mxefl:~# exit
logout
╔═[siamhie@mxefl]═[11:55  25 08 22]══════════════════════════════════════════════[~]
╚═> 

This is my Fluxbox . There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My Fluxbox is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Fluxbox is useless. Without my Fluxbox, I am useless.

AVLinux

#22 Post by AVLinux »

Hmmm,

I'm at a bit of a loss at where to begin.. Have you enabled anything new as a 'startup' application? In my experience with MX's 'apt-notifier' running at startup I had regular crashes and once I switched from that to the Enlightenment Packagekit module my crashes disappeared completely but I don't have any startup apps enabled at all here or on the ISO... I'm in wild guess mode here at the moment..

siamhie

#23 Post by siamhie »

AVLinux wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:38 pm Hmmm,

I'm at a bit of a loss at where to begin.. Have you enabled anything new as a 'startup' application? In my experience with MX's 'apt-notifier' running at startup I had regular crashes and once I switched from that to the Enlightenment Packagekit module my crashes disappeared completely but I don't have any startup apps enabled at all here or on the ISO... I'm in wild guess mode here at the moment..
I think I'll re-download the ISO and install. Can you tell me if these are the correct checksums.

checksum.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my Fluxbox . There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My Fluxbox is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Fluxbox is useless. Without my Fluxbox, I am useless.

AVLinux

#24 Post by AVLinux »

siamhie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:04 pm
AVLinux wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:38 pm Hmmm,

I think I'll re-download the ISO and install. Can you tell me if these are the correct checksums.

checksum.png
Hi yes those sums are correct.. If you could humor me there is a slightly older build still on 5.15..
Last edited by AVLinux on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siamhie

#25 Post by siamhie »

AVLinux wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:41 pm
Hi yes those sums are correct.. If you could humor me there is a slightly older build here still on 5.15:

This is not on my VPS it's on my shared hosting so if you decide to try it let me know once you've downloaded it and I'll remove the link.. If the shared hosting starts getting hammered with multiple downloads they'll lock my site..

I'm downloading as we speak, so go ahead and remove the link. I'll give the rc3 a try first and let you know if anything changes.

siamhie

#26 Post by siamhie »

@AVLinux Quick update. Installed and used RC3 for a solid 90 minutes without any crashes. The only difference I did this time was to let the installer format my SWAP partition instead of preserving it. I don't know if that helped or not but I suspect my issue was a PEBKAC moment. I'm going to install the official respin again knowing the sums are correct. I'll keep you posted.

AVLinux

#27 Post by AVLinux »

siamhie wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:47 am @AVLinux Quick update. Installed and used RC3 for a solid 90 minutes without any crashes. The only difference I did this time was to let the installer format my SWAP partition instead of preserving it. I don't know if that helped or not but I suspect my issue was a PEBKAC moment. I'm going to install the official respin again knowing the sums are correct. I'll keep you posted.
Hi,

First I really appreciate your time and efforts to look into this, I know time is a precious commodity so thanks!

That last RC3 ISO you have has the older Liquorix 5.15 Kernel as well as the older AHS Video stack..

My gut feeling is that it may be the recent AHS Video driver updates and/or the Kernel update but I hope I'm wrong... This thread here is ringing some compositing bells:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=71450

Of course it's Compton and not Enlightenment but a driver issue could affect Video on more than one compositor... wait and see I guess

Userlaz

#28 Post by Userlaz »

where could download RC3 ISO?

AVLinux

#29 Post by AVLinux »

Userlaz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:01 pm where could download RC3 ISO?
Hi,

Is there a reason you want the RC3 instead of the actual release? One person has had some issues but we haven't determined the actual cause yet so we don't know if RC3 is actually any 'better' yet..

siamhie

#30 Post by siamhie »

AVLinux wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:29 pm
siamhie wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:47 am @AVLinux Quick update. Installed and used RC3 for a solid 90 minutes without any crashes. The only difference I did this time was to let the installer format my SWAP partition instead of preserving it. I don't know if that helped or not but I suspect my issue was a PEBKAC moment. I'm going to install the official respin again knowing the sums are correct. I'll keep you posted.
Hi,

First I really appreciate your time and efforts to look into this, I know time is a precious commodity so thanks!

That last RC3 ISO you have has the older Liquorix 5.15 Kernel as well as the older AHS Video stack..

My gut feeling is that it may be the recent AHS Video driver updates and/or the Kernel update but I hope I'm wrong... This thread here is ringing some compositing bells:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=71450

Of course it's Compton and not Enlightenment but a driver issue could affect Video on more than one compositor... wait and see I guess
I read over that thread and it seems that he's having an issue with his onboard graphics card and the i965 Intel chipset. I'm using a discrete GPU (AMD Radeon RX580 with the Polaris10 chipset).

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] vendor: XFX Pine 
           driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus-ID: 2b:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:67df class-ID: 0300 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.14 compositor: enlightenment driver: 
           loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1 
           Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 677x381mm (26.7x15.0") 
           s-diag: 777mm (30.6") 
           Monitor-1: DisplayPort-2 res: 2560x1440 hz: 165 dpi: 109 size: 597x336mm (23.5x13.2") 
           diag: 685mm (27") 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series (polaris10 LLVM 14.0.5 DRM 3.47 
           5.19.0-2.1-liquorix-amd64) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 22.0.5 direct render: Yes 
Now the .e-crashdump.txt makes no sense because my Fluxbox install has the same ptrace_scope value applied to it also.

ERROR: /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope is 1 disallowing remote
attachment to a process.
As far as graphics drivers and Mesa package versions are concerned, I've had no issue when upgrading Fluxbox with the AHS repo enabled.

Now when I was comparing inxi results between the two installs, I saw a difference in boot parameters. Notice the difference on the root=UUID line?

EFL
╔═[siamhie@mxefl]═[17:54  26 08 22]══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════[~]
╚═> inxi -Fxxxrza 
System:    Kernel: 5.19.0-2.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 
           parameters: audit=0 intel_pstate=disable hpet=disable rcupdate.rcu_expedited=1 
           BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.19.0-2.1-liquorix-amd64 
           root=UUID=0a2ed21c-7a27-4a6d-9cdc-fe86d1b37d66 ro audit=0 intel_pstate=disable 
           hpet=disable rcupdate.rcu_expedited=1 quiet threadirqs 
Fluxbox
╔═[siamhie@mxflux]═[18:04  26 08 22]═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════[~]
╚═> inxi -Fxxxrza 
System:    Kernel: 5.19.0-2.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 
           parameters: audit=0 intel_pstate=disable hpet=disable rcupdate.rcu_expedited=1 
           BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.19.0-2.1-liquorix-amd64 
           root=UUID=473bb578-9773-41c9-a4bb-eed9003bf29a ro quiet splash 

I wonder if changing the boot parameters in MX Boot Options to match Fluxbox's will make any difference? I have the parameters saved to a file if it doesn't work.

Return to “MX Respins”