Dropbx - Maestral

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
manyroads

Dropbx - Maestral

#1 Post by manyroads »

I have stumbled across a light weight Dropbox client (Open source Python) that seems to work. Interestingly it uses only 94MB of RAM versus Dropbox's typical 890MB (on my system). Here's info on the software (be aware the software has progressed from 2019).

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/m ... opbox.html

EDIT: I forgot to add the github info:
https://github.com/samschott/maestral
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Dropbx - Maestral

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Did you also happen to stumble upon the USD 120 it now costs?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

I'm using it at no-cost. I did not do anything special... but then my mom always said I was special. :happy: I'm using just the client component on Linux.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Wait...where's that? Maestral or Dropbox has that fee?

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

@stevo Dropbox always has a fee unless you can live with their tiny free space allotment.
Maestral is without a fee so far as I know. Maestral seems to be a nice drop-in client for dropbox that is without memory leaks and runs quite skinny (in comparison).
Pax vobiscum,

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

I do not undertand. Maestral is a dropbox client which means to me it accesses Dropbox. So you still need a Dropbox account. What am I missing?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

@richb Dropbox consists of two major components...

1. Dropbox server side (@Jerry3904 $120 annual cost) and
2. Client side which links your desktop/ phone/ etc to the server.

In native Dropbox on Linux & MAC, the native Dropbox client suffers memory leaks and is a resource hog. You can run Maestral (and probably some others) as a non-Dropbox client. Maestral is typically 7 (seven) times less resource intensive. Maestral is opensource and comes at no cost. All that needs to be done is install the 'replacement client' and link it to your server account (a trivial task on Maestral).

From that point forward everything works faster, lighter, and more stable on MAC and Linux. My testing, thus far, is showing very good results on MX Linux 21and PeppermintOS11.

FWIW. Maestral's systray icons also work well; where Droxbox icons do not work universally across Linux.
Pax vobiscum,

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb »

The Dropbox clienrt works perfectly for me. The only drawback is slow speed transfers to Dropbox.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

manyroads

#9 Post by manyroads »

FWIW. I have been moving between wm and the icons for Maestral work differently but more reliably than those in the Dropbox client. The icon image changes completely to a recycle like circle when syncing. It returns to the Maestral wave icon when syncing is complete. Sync times with Maestral run noticeably faster that those of the Dropbox client (so far) (my 800GB synced yesterday in under 2 hours, compared to a my typical 6-8 hours sync when using Drobox-client). It will take awhile before I notice if there any errors. I have to note that I have not found any mention of such on the web (so I'm pretty confident that the past three years of operation on both MAC and Linux are an indicator of stability). But as always, I'll try to "trust but verify..." ;)
Pax vobiscum,

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

I will try Maestral for the speed increase. That woud be a big plus.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Return to “Package Sharing”