MXFB Tips n Tricks

Help for MX Fluxbox
When asking for help, use Quick System Info from MX Tools. It will be properly formatted using the following steps.
1. Click on Quick System Info in MX Tools
2. Right click in your post and paste.
PPC

Re: MXFB Tips n Tricks

#11 Post by PPC »

I made this one available over at the antiX forum:

If you want to read internationa news headlines (with clickable links to the news):

Code: Select all

curl getnews.tech | sed -e '1,2d' | sed 's/getnews.tech/http:\/\/getnews.tech/g'
For more details (and code to a yad GUI script to access news, and how to get local news), you may want to check out the OP over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic ... nd-applet/

P.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#12 Post by Jerry3904 »

So I realized the other day that I always open 3 apps when I log in: browser, email and file manager. It seemed to me that I should automate that to save myself a bunch of keystrokes. After snooping around, I found success by using the apps file.

--file manager(for me thunar), I moved it to W-3 and right-clicked the titlebar > Remember > workspace. That added this in the appropriate stanza in apps:

[workspace] {3}
--email (thunderbird), same thing only putting it in W-2 with result in apps file:

[workspace] {2}
--browser (vivaldi): this browser has swallowed up the titlebar, but by putting it last in the list of the three autostart apps, it automatically gets placed in the remaining empty workspace (I read that somewhere). In startup"

# start basic apps
thunderbird &
thunar &
vivaldi &
Very cool: I login, wait a second picking my teeth and--voilà! Ready to go:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

I use gkrellm for system info instead of (big loud) conky, but still don't like it interfering with most of my wallpapers (exception posted below with invisible theme not in standard collection). Went through the man gkrellm and found exactly what I wanted:

1) change the launch command to

gkrellm -w
2) change the location of the "slit" in ~/.fluxbox/init to upper right corner (or anywhere else you like):

session.screen0.slit.placement:	RightTop
Now when I want to see system info I only need to move the cursor to where the slit is.
-----
This will not work if using the MXFB dock, which itself is located in the slit. If you try to do that, you will end up seeing the dock and gkrellm side-by-side--not a pretty sight!.
::)
Switch to another dock (tint2, plank, etc.) or no dock at all (my preference).
-----

Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

kobaian

#14 Post by kobaian »

Do you know, that there is another trick that helps forcing your Rofi in MX-Fluxbox to act more like a menu form the other DE's?
Just put in your config.rasi file into the configuration{} brackets the following lines:

me-select-entry:	"MouseSecondary";
    me-accept-entry:	"MousePrimary";
    hover-select: 	true;
Now moving mouse over a list item is hovering it, and you can choose and accept the item with the one click.
If you want not only to launch Rofi with your Super-Key but also to abandon it the same way add also this line:

kb-cancel: "Escape,Super_L";
And after that your Rofi behaves exactly like any other Start Menu you know from the other systems and Linux-DE's.
Desktop PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, Gigabyte H81M-S2PV, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2000. Laptop: MacBook Late 2008, Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM. Netbook: Asus EEEPC Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM. System: MX23 64bit/32bit Fluxbox.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#15 Post by Jerry3904 »

Neat idea, thanks!

ceeslans

#16 Post by ceeslans »

Thanks for bringing this feature to our attention.
The 'me-accept-entry' does not work well in rofi-theme-selector - or at least, not on my system. The theme-selector window simply disappears on leftmouse click, so unable to confirm theme change by alt+a keybind. And sofar couldnt find out what 'me-select-entry' rightclick action brings...
The 'hover-select' setting + the usual 'enter' hit remains a sweet and proven combination.
Sony Vaio VPCF23P (2010), Intel Core i7-2670, 6gb RAM, 240GB SSD, MX23 based Fluxbox 1.3.7+

kobaian

#17 Post by kobaian »

ceeslans wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:18 am Thanks for bringing this feature to our attention.
The 'me-accept-entry' does not work well in rofi-theme-selector - or at least, not on my system. The theme-selector window simply disappears on leftmouse click, so unable to confirm theme change by alt+a keybind. And sofar couldnt find out what 'me-select-entry' rightclick action brings...
Ok. For rofi-theme-selector I just use my keyboard arrows and I don't touch the mouse at all. And probably after MX-Rofi-Manager was published I wouldn't have to use this tool any more at all. And if I even would, It is only a configuration tool, not the main tool, that's why I can tolerate its strange behavior.
Desktop PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, Gigabyte H81M-S2PV, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2000. Laptop: MacBook Late 2008, Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM. Netbook: Asus EEEPC Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM. System: MX23 64bit/32bit Fluxbox.

kobaian

#18 Post by kobaian »

ceeslans wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:18 am The 'hover-select' setting + the usual 'enter' hit remains a sweet and proven combination.
And what about accepting by double-click?

me-accept-entry:	"MouseDPrimary";

ceeslans

#19 Post by ceeslans »

kobaian wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:23 am
ceeslans wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:18 am The 'hover-select' setting + the usual 'enter' hit remains a sweet and proven combination.
And what about accepting by double-click?

me-accept-entry:	"MouseDPrimary";
hover-select + MouseDPrimary works fine in rofi, but not in rofi-theme-selector...
But I prefer the 'enter' hit action, it's quick&easy - that I'm familiar with anyway
Sony Vaio VPCF23P (2010), Intel Core i7-2670, 6gb RAM, 240GB SSD, MX23 based Fluxbox 1.3.7+

siamhie

#20 Post by siamhie »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:50 am So here's what made me think of this: I often want to turn off the monitor but leave everything else running. A web search quickly gave me code that works:

sleep 1 ; xset dpms force off
I mapped it to a free Fn key like this in the keys file:

# turn off monitor
none F12 :Exec sleep 1 ; xset dpms force off
To restore the monitor: press Esc, move the mouse or tap the touchpad.

Excellent tip. When I'm away from the computer, I leave it on but turn of the LED's on the keyboard (fn+F5) but have to reach around the back of the monitor for the power button (thanks HP for it's location). This makes it easier to just select F12 instead.
This is my Fluxbox . There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My Fluxbox is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Fluxbox is useless. Without my Fluxbox, I am useless.

Return to “MX Fluxbox Official Release”