Computer freeze after restarting video

Help on all MX Re-spins
tito2023

Re: Computer freeze after restarting video

#11 Post by tito2023 »

On my soundcard there is a FW (FireWire) and a LKD (link) light and often the FW turn off and when i want to return it on sometimes that don't work and i think this is why he freeze that do the same on the DAW now

AVLinux

#12 Post by AVLinux »

OK,

If you have not made any changes to your system then you are using the ALSA Drivers. The sad truth is firewire is an obsolete standard and doesn't get the attention it used to when Firewire Audio devices were common, as Linux Kernels get newer and newer the support, testing and maintenance for the firewire stack is fading to the background very quickly so that is the number one reality..

Number 2 reality is that watching videos and running the Audio through any external device (either Firewire or USB) doesn't seem like a great idea because you are connected with a cable to your sound device instead of it being either part of the motherboard or a card firmly seated in the motherboard.. If your cable is faulty or your firewire ports are a little bit worn or dirty you could easily lose communication with the Saffire after such a long time period.

The first thing to try is viewing Video with your onboard sound device or HDMI port and see if that results in any freezes, if that works without interruption then you will have to assume that something about either the Saffire itself, your Firewire cable or possible the Firewire ALSA drivers in the Kernel (not terribly likely) is to blame.

tito2023

#13 Post by tito2023 »

Ok I tried with the motherboard sound card and the is no freeze at all (I never have this problem before plugin this soundcard) . I have use AVL-MXE since 10 mounths now, and was quite happy with it. I have an other firewire port that i can plug in the motherboard but no other cable and soundcard, i will chech that but i realy think this is a resyncro or sleeping firewire ALSA process that is the problem. Is in the AVL-MXE 2021 the Firewire ALSA drivers in the Kernel is different ??

AVLinux

#14 Post by AVLinux »

Hi,

There is nothing special or different about the Firewire drivers in AVL-MXE nor are there any special settings or config for Firewire, it is simply the vanilla kernel drivers. If there are any special 'sleep' settings for Firewire devices I'm afraid I don't know them. I haven't used a Firewire interface in many years now

Are there any other AVL-MXE Users here with a working Firewire setup to give advice?

korakios

#15 Post by korakios »

@tito2023
Make sure pulse audio uses the onboard
Start jack choosing the firewire driver (not alsa driver)
Start pulse jack plugin
On Pulseaudio make sure it uses the jack plugin
Play some video and post if it works without freezing

Return to “MX Respins”