i3wm and dwm (an idea)

Help on all MX Re-spins
manyroads

i3wm and dwm (an idea)

#1 Post by manyroads »

I am considering perhaps building a tiling window manager respin using MX and/or antiX. But, I don't want to do it alone. My primary interests lie with i3wm & dwm. :lipsrsealed:

I am seeking one, two, three 'partners in crime' to work with me on the effort. I know @andyprough and a few others have shown interest in such topics in the past. If anyone is interested in further discussing and/or planning an effort, please contact me via PM. Let's not discuss it here, just yet. You know this might be just the perfect career opportunity... no pay :eek: .. a lot of work :needcoffee: ... and lots of guidance from uninterested parties... :bagoverhead:

If you are not familiar with the stuff I do and the obscure window manager adventures I have had, they are documented here:

https://eirenicon.org/knowledge-base/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

SwampRabbit

Re: i3wm and dwm (an idea)

#2 Post by SwampRabbit »

Mark, let me know if you need anything updated, I’ve tried to update a few things in MX-19 (in MX Test) Repo, but don’t know what’s important. I have a few things on my list to update at for MX-21 as well, just need to know what would be beneficial.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

SwampRabbit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:21 am Mark, let me know if you need anything updated, I’ve tried to update a few things in MX-19 (in MX Test) Repo, but don’t know what’s important. I have a few things on my list to update at for MX-21 as well, just need to know what would be beneficial.
Thank you very much @SwampRabbit . Here's my list of most critical items (hopefully I haven't forgotten any... but I'm old. Who knows what I will mis-remember.)

dwm is easy, I download that stuff direct from suckless. It is really best not to use repos for suckless tools because everything has to be compiled directly. With my current build(s) on MX21 these pieces all worked when compiling dwm (they all installed fine just using apt):
==> make
==> gcc
==> libx11-dev
==> libxft-dev
==> libxinerama-dev
==> xorg

As for i3wm... I prefer the following (most of which is already in place). Bolded items need update or some sort repo incorporation (personally I don't mind hunting down pieces & compiling, but that's probably not great for a respin effort). Actuall though the list of new items is pretty small. Here's what I can remember of my needs, with notes:
==> i3wm current meta package (not i3-gaps). The current version is 4.19. (current repo version is fine)
==> i3lock-fancy (current repo version is fine)
==> i3status (current repo version is fine)
==> dmenu (current repo version is fine)
==> j4-dmenu-desktop (see GITHUB for details: https://github.com/enkore/j4-dmenu-desktop)
==> feh (current repo version is fine)
==> nitrogen (current repo version is fine)
==> nm-applet (current repo version is fine)
==> dunst (1.6.1) currently the repos have 1.5
==> rofi (1.7) currently epos have 1.5.4
==> yad (current repo version is fine)
==> zenity (current repo version is fine)
==> jgmenu (current repo version is fine)
==> sxhkd (currently repos have the current version 0.6.2)

The "good news" is that there is a lot of overlap between what these two wms use.

Again, thank you! :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

SwampRabbit

#4 Post by SwampRabbit »

Ok Mark, thanks very good breakdown.

Not sure if @andyprough is super busy, but if he jumps on board to help with your little project maybe he can package those 3, if not I'll get to them sooner or later.
We have a few official priorities right now. 9_9
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

No worries @SwampRabbit . Right now, I am still trying to think through approach options, effort, etc. :needcoffee: I really only want to do something that will be worthwhile. I already have these already working just fine for my purposes. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,

SwampRabbit

#6 Post by SwampRabbit »

@manyroads can you prioritize those 3 bold items so we know which are most important?

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

@SwampRabbit Thank you. Here are my priorities:
1. ==> j4-dmenu-desktop (see GITHUB for details: https://github.com/enkore/j4-dmenu-desktop)
2. ==> rofi (1.7) currently epos have 1.5.4
3. ==> dunst (1.6.1) currently the repos have 1.5
Pax vobiscum,

SwampRabbit

#8 Post by SwampRabbit »

manyroads wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:26 pm @SwampRabbit Thank you. Here are my priorities:
1. ==> j4-dmenu-desktop (see GITHUB for details: https://github.com/enkore/j4-dmenu-desktop)
2. ==> rofi (1.7) currently epos have 1.5.4
3. ==> dunst (1.6.1) currently the repos have 1.5
Got it, thanks Mark

SwampRabbit

#9 Post by SwampRabbit »

@manyroads Mark, finally spent some time to see what I could do for you regarding this.

You'll find the following here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10anhuA ... sp=sharing

dunst 1.7.3+git20220116
dwm 6.2
i3 4.20.1
i3-wm 4.20.1
j4-dmenu-desktop 2.18+git20211022
nwg-launchers 0.6.3+git20220107
rofi 1.7.1
rofi-dev 1.7.1
slstatus 2020.11.30

I know there are a few that you didn't ask for, but since I was working in the area, I figured why not.
Plus you're someone who I believe could really test functionality of these.

I did limited testing already, if they seem ok-ish to you... I can at least send them to the MX Test Repo for more testing.

Edit: just an FYI ... dunst was built without wayland and systemd support

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

SwampRabbit wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:46 pm
Edit: just an FYI ... dunst was built without wayland and systemd support
I don't think systemd matters in this case. looks like dbus starts it up.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “MX Respins”