AVL-MXE 2021 Bullseye/MX 21 Roadmap

Help on all MX Re-spins
SwampRabbit

Re: AVL-MXE 2021 Bullseye/MX 21 Roadmap

#21 Post by SwampRabbit »

@fiveangle to tack onto what has already been said, the issues with Ubuntu specific PPAs is that:

1) they are built against the version of Ubuntu the PPA is for which may not align with the or even a actual Debian version, this can sometime cause issues, so it’s not recommended

2) PPAs aren’t always trusted sources, anyone can make them, so while someone may be doing it just to help, they may not know what they are doing and the package built could be missing things (dependencies) or not be build properly and cause issues. This also speaks to testing, who knows if that PPA maintainer tested it much, if at all.

Glen gave us a list of primary packages to try and keep up to date as much as we can. We test them (as much as we can) before adding them to the Repo. You don’t have to wonder as much if it will really work or be stable.

The only down side to this is the packages may not be the absolute newest (sometimes a limitation of the Debian version too) and you may have to wait for the MX packaging team… but it’s a good trade off rather than trying to troubleshoot or wonder why something doesn’t work right when you could be spending time doing cool A/V stuff instead.

We’d be more than happy if someone came alone to support Glen in a dedicated way to keep packages up… until then you’ll have to wait to the very slow packaging team… I mean we’re real slow sometimes… like sometimes the same day kinda slow. ;)
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

AVLinux

#22 Post by AVLinux »

Hi,

Not a huge development and of limited importance but since moving to MX I've been wanting to change my logo and make it more kind of instantly recognizable and efforts to blend the MX Logo with the former AV Linux Logo were not really graphically sound and resulted in a confusing text-heavy logo that didn't scale well for buttons etc. I put out a call for assistance on the linuxmusicians forum and 'bhilmers' knocked it out of the park by helping me get a Waveform logo idea to it's final stage.

You can see the new logo in my Avatar and a full screenshot here:
http://bandshed.net/images/screenshots/ ... enie-2.png

AVL-MXE-Waveform-Log-Text-512px.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pablogvieira

#23 Post by pablogvieira »

I really like it! AVL-MXE 21 is getting really pretty on the eyes. Thanks for all your work Glen!

Adrian
Developer

#24 Post by Adrian »

Nice logo. Screenshot (wallpaper) looks pretty badass.

alextone

#25 Post by alextone »

Glen, i'm in a bit of a quandry here, and I respectfully offer a suggestion.

I've been through the kx repos, and the audiomedia apps the MX packaging emperors have kindly built for us. There's now far less in the kx repos that isn't MX packaged than there is. On top of that, there seems to be quite a few KX apps and plugins that haven't been updated for a while. Then there's the whole PPA Ubuntu/Debian saga of what seems always on the edge of, might/might not work. FalkTX did a mighty job in his day, but is it time for us to evolve, so as to keep things up to date on a regular basis?

In other words, and at the risk of starting a conflict, (and i've already donned the flack jacket and helmet in anticipation) is it time to stop using the KX repos, and stick to "ours", that is the mighty MX emperors work, and yours, where we can all benefit from the simplicity of fewer repos, and as a result, fewer things to go wrong?

I offer this as a point of debate, not a whine.

Alex.

AVLinux

#26 Post by AVLinux »

alextone wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:14 am Glen, i'm in a bit of a quandry here, and I respectfully offer a suggestion.

I've been through the kx repos, and the audiomedia apps the MX packaging emperors have kindly built for us. There's now far less in the kx repos that isn't MX packaged than there is. On top of that, there seems to be quite a few KX apps and plugins that haven't been updated for a while. Then there's the whole PPA Ubuntu/Debian saga of what seems always on the edge of, might/might not work. FalkTX did a mighty job in his day, but is it time for us to evolve, so as to keep things up to date on a regular basis?

In other words, and at the risk of starting a conflict, (and i've already donned the flack jacket and helmet in anticipation) is it time to stop using the KX repos, and stick to "ours", that is the mighty MX emperors work, and yours, where we can all benefit from the simplicity of fewer repos, and as a result, fewer things to go wrong?

I offer this as a point of debate, not a whine.

Alex.
Hi Alex,

I don't disagree and you're absolutely right@SwampRabbit has been extremely receptive and gone far above and beyond to get important Audio/Video 'Applications' into MX Repos for our benefit. However KX still has an important role to fill as a source for Carla and numerous DISTRHO and related Audio 'Plugins' (Calf, LSP etc..) which are still kept up by falkTX. For the incredible workload and the sheer volume of available Plugins out there I have strongly advised the MX Packagers to not get on the slippery slope of Audio Plugins, it would be a bottomless and thankless task and I/we are already asking and receiving a LOT from our MX benefactors.

I have clearly pointed out the external Repositories used in AVL-MXE and their purpose in the User Manual and for the time being the KX PPA is Debian-friendly and still a good resource for Plugins even though the applications have fallen by the wayside for quite some time... I think at the current time with the understanding of the limitations we are in good hands with the combination of KX for Plugins and MX for hosts..

alextone

#27 Post by alextone »

Aaah, ok, understood.

SwampRabbit

#28 Post by SwampRabbit »

I'm good with doing the major packages, often referred to as "gap packages" for AVL-MXE, but its in my voluntary spare time within voluntary spare time.
I try to update these packages to some degree for the previous versions of AVL-MXE if there are critical bugs, but mostly my focus is on the latest major version of AVL-MXE.
I try to update a few extras here and there, but the priority for me at least is on the ones I was told are important to AVL-MXE.

I only do this because Glen is such a great guy, I think AVL-MXE is awesome in general, and I know it is important for many people.
But this is still an genltemen's agreement for unofficial Respin support.
I striked that out on purpose. :p

There is always an open invitation to anyone serious and dedicated to helping AVL-MXE with packaging, its not overly hard as most of the time its just backports, grabbing a few things from the developers upstream, and testing. Its time more than anything else.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Be OK

#29 Post by Be OK »

@SwapRabbit o your not a gentlemen then :) But as user of avl and mx for years, great full for all the time you all put into it.

alextone

#30 Post by alextone »

SwampRabbit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:58 pm I'm good with doing the major packages, often referred to as "gap packages" for AVL-MXE, but its in my voluntary spare time within voluntary spare time.
I try to update these packages to some degree for the previous versions of AVL-MXE if there are critical bugs, but mostly my focus is on the latest major version of AVL-MXE.
I try to update a few extras here and there, but the priority for me at least is on the ones I was told are important to AVL-MXE.

I only do this because Glen is such a great guy, I think AVL-MXE is awesome in general, and I know it is important for many people.
But this is still an genltemen's agreement for unofficial Respin support.
I striked that out on purpose. :p

There is always an open invitation to anyone serious and dedicated to helping AVL-MXE with packaging, its not overly hard as most of the time its just backports, grabbing a few things from the developers upstream, and testing. Its time more than anything else.
If I could package, i'd be on it. AVL-MXE is an excellent distro.

I can relate to the time limitation. Is there a walkthrough somewhere that will give me at least a basic understanding of packaging for Debian/AVL? If i can figure it out, i'll try and assist.

Alex.

Return to “MX Respins”