AVL-MXE 2021 Bullseye/MX 21 Roadmap

Help on all MX Re-spins
korakios

Re: AVL-MXE 2021 Bullseye/MX 21 Roadmap

#11 Post by korakios »

AVLinux wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:52 pm ....
Obviously many people will end up installing KDE applications and that is their prerogative but if Kvantum needs a bunch of KDE stuff I will stay with qt5ct because I understand it and it works predictably.
or switch to Kde :p (Hi Glen!)
My main problem with Xfce is the lack of fractional scaling ,which is a must for me in laptops nowadays , plus nowadays Kde is super light

anticapitalista
Developer

#12 Post by anticapitalista »

korakios wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:07 pm ... plus nowadays Kde is super light
Hardly.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

AVLinux

#13 Post by AVLinux »

korakios wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:07 pm
AVLinux wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:52 pm ....
Obviously many people will end up installing KDE applications and that is their prerogative but if Kvantum needs a bunch of KDE stuff I will stay with qt5ct because I understand it and it works predictably.
or switch to Kde :p (Hi Glen!)
My main problem with Xfce is the lack of fractional scaling ,which is a must for me in laptops nowadays , plus nowadays Kde is super light
Hi there korakios!

BTW your CPU Frequency Utility still works great!!

Haha! Sorry no KDE for this guy, I'm a minimalist and I'm still learning everything about XFCE4! KDE would take a whole other lifetime to learn and I'm on the wrong side of the hill!! I'm starting to go the other way... back toward LXDE like in the early AV Linux days. I'm not as brave (or skillful) as @anticapitalista to go all the way down the minimalist road (well yet anyway).. That said KDE Plasma can indeed be a beautiful D.E. in the hands of those who know how to set it up efficiently.

jaaxx

#14 Post by jaaxx »

I am totally onboard with XFCE and possibly even a modified LXDE (ie. - with a more full featured window manager.)

That being said I really miss the "tweakability" that is available in KDE. When I used to have my RocXshoP distro I insisted on KDE and was able to strip it to the bare essentials, but all that changed with KDE 4 which dragged in everything and the kitchen sink. I've been a happy XFCE user ever since.

afiadi

#15 Post by afiadi »

AVLinux wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:24 pm
afiadi wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:08 am Is this av linux MX Edition with pipewire version? or can pulseaudio replace with pipewire in the new versi of AVL -MXE 2021?

Thanks in Advanced
Hi,

My feeling is that Pipewire is still a future thing and not yet mature enough to make the default sound server. AVL-MXE has a very good setup with JACK and PulseAudio bridges that pretty much can route any Audio from anywhere you want to the selected Sound Device. I don't think Pipewire in Debian Bullseye is quite there (yet). My guess would be that future AVL-MXE releases after Bullseye with likely have Pipewire by default.
Thanks you so much for your reply and explanation :heart: :cool2:

pablogvieira

#16 Post by pablogvieira »

Hi, GMaq! Will there be a release candidate ou test ISO for enthusiasts and early adopters? I would love to give it a go.

AVLinux

#17 Post by AVLinux »

Hi!

Yes I think there will certainly be at least 1 or 2 RC's to go bug hunting with, I will post here when I'm getting closer.. Right now I haven't got time to work on it in a sustained way and I'm picking away at cosmetic stuff and litle details as time permits, there is a lot more work to do!

fiveangle

#18 Post by fiveangle »

First off, thanks so much for your tireless effort on AVL - so many of the silent masses rely on it day to day, you have no idea :)

One thing that seems to be getting rougher with each release is the accelerated release schedules for popular packages combined with the seeming ubiquitous lack of time for all maintainers (yourself very much included !) Because of this, so many are moving away from traditional repo style releases and instead moving to the newer more singular-focused distribution methods like PPA and Flatpack. Like your comment about the time needed to learn new stuff is all but wasted once you have a method to your madness, I for one spent the better part of 3 full days going through the AVL-deploy=>PPA install attempt=>remaster=>fail=>start-over process just to get Mixxx 2.3.0 installed (debian is always so behind that they don't even have 2.3.0 anywhere on their radar at this point - haha).

If you can think of any intermediate utility that you might be able to include that could streamline the process for users to install both PPAs and Flatpacks, it would be a huge win for everyone. Just because a PPA or Flatpack bombs out and doesn't work, at least the users don't have to spend a couple days just figuring out the logistics of PPA/Flatpack deployment within MXL in order to find out.

Anyway, just a thought. Keep up the great work on this wonderful distro ! :)

AVLinux

#19 Post by AVLinux »

Hello!

Thanks for the kind words, I stopped looking at my server metrics years ago and I often wonder if AVL ever works right for anyone or if more than 5 people use it...lol

Since I'm on MX now you can at least take advantage of their own flatpak implementation in their native MX Package installer (so MX-Tools-->MX Package Installer), it works well, MUCH better than the horrid Gnome flatpak store frontend in Debian that I just gave up on after a few attempts to merge it into AV Linux... As far as PPA's that is kind of a bad word here in MX Circles... the general feeling here is PPA's: bad!... requesting desired packages for the MX Repositories: good!

I've had to explain and assure folks here that even a long-term trusted Debian PPA like KX Studio is acceptable so I think we can cover the flatpaks with MX's existing infrastructure but I think as a maintainer I have to leave PPA's and the potential pitfalls that can go with them to the discretion and risk of the end-user. Generally speaking with a few exceptions... PPA's are a Ubuntu-centric thing and often not well tolerated by 'purer' Debian Systems.

fiveangle

#20 Post by fiveangle »

AVLinux wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:47 pm I often wonder if AVL ever works right for anyone or if more than 5 people use it…lol
I think you'd be surprised :)
AVLinux wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:47 pm Since I'm on MX now you can at least take advantage of their own flatpak implementation in their native MX Package installer (so MX-Tools-->MX Package Installer)
As with so many deep crevices of teh Interwebs [sic] there's just too much knowledge to be knowledgeable about - I previously found far-outdated info about the MX "test" repo and seeing only 2.2.0 in it in the MX Package Manager, dismissed it as a lost cause… which curtailed me pursuing further regarding the flatpack support now added to MX Package Manager. Low and behold, my source-install of Mixxxx was premature as 2.3.0 is gloriously present in the not-by-default-available flatpack repos in MX Package Manager (I'm kicking the tires of it now to ensure it behaves as the source-install did) :thumbsup:

For context, I've modified a Numark Party Mix dj controller to have a USB3 internal hub + 512GB MicroSD card with AVL-live installed to it on a 48GB slice of the SD card (with remaining space partitioned as exfat music library) to allow Live efi boot to AVL to run Mixxx 2.3.0 on any EFI-capable system and have my full performance environment available by just plugging in my back-packable mini controller. It's pretty clutch :)

Thanks again for the continued effort. If I can think of some way to be able to more easily communicate to those outside-the-box users like myself to help them reconfigure AVL to their needs, I'll let you know. I just hate the thought of others going through all the pain and suffering I had, when it wasn't necessary.

Cheers !

-=dave

Return to “MX Respins”