space-icewm as default

saturn1955

space-icewm as default

#1 Post by saturn1955 »

Hello,

I want to install antix 1.9.3 with space-icewm desktop as default on my experimental pc, that the pc is starting with automatic login direct to the space-icewm. What do I ve to configure?

Buck Fankers

Re: space-icewm as default

#2 Post by Buck Fankers »

saturn1955 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:57 am I want to install antix 1.9.3 with space-icewm desktop as default on my experimental pc, that the pc is starting with automatic login direct to the space-icewm. What do I ve to configure?
Hmm, from what I remember, when I tried antiX, whatever combo I used, after restart it keept it? Unless you are running it from non persistent USB stick?
Anyway, while waiting on someone with more knowledge to answer you, you can check out this video, it is about space-fluxbox, not space-icewm, but Dolphin shows few tricks, that may be of help to you anyway, can't hurt checking it out while waiting ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW57dCedVQo

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

2 ways.

1. Logout, enter name and password but before pressing Enter, keep pressing F1 until it shows Space-Icewm
2. If in Rox-Icewm: Menu > Desktop > Other Desktops > Space-IceWM
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

arjaybe

#4 Post by arjaybe »

I jumped on this because I'm more comfortable with a "traditional" file browser. Unfortunately, whenever I try to start SpaceFM the CPU pegs at 100% and never opens it. This is on our Dell Inspiron 1501, Celeron, 512MB, ATI Radeon. This problem didn't exist before. Only after I started messing with WM - FM combinations.
Green Comet
Space particles.

arjaybe

#5 Post by arjaybe »

Okay, that's not entirely true. I can start SpaceFM from App Select, whether or not the CPU is pegged at 100% by a previous attempt to start it from an icon or the menu.
Green Comet
Space particles.

catfood

#6 Post by catfood »

If installing, follow anticapitalista's post above.

If live usb w/ persistence:
F6 Desktop : Space-IceWM, then F8 save.
On subsequent startups, any F# settings you changed will be the new defaults, but F8 will revert to off, until you one time use it again to make another new default.

I never paid attention to cpu usage, however, I have noticed, on low powered hardware, sometimes even if I start my WM of choice, nothing seems to work when I first start it, like half the flux or space menu don't seem to function, wallpapers don't load, etc.
Other Desktop usually still works, and just re-selecting the desktop I want or logging out, and loging back in, will reload it, then everything behaves normal. I haven't gotten around to it, but specific issues like that you might want to ask on antiX forum directly as IceWM, and the F6 desktop on startup are not shared parts with MX, so less overall experience here, aside from the developers working both teams...

Adlermania

#7 Post by Adlermania »

Short question, Antix 21 base is without a DE right?
Could I install Antix base and then install LXDE from the terminal to get Antix with LXDE? Or how would this work?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Adlermania wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:58 pm Short question, Antix 21 base is without a DE right?
Could I install Antix base and then install LXDE from the terminal to get Antix with LXDE? Or how would this work?
base has the usual antiX window manager combinations. core doesn't even have X.

and yes, you can build up from core. I've got a couple of video series about it on my youtube channel. the mx19 series I did one building up a KDE/plasma based on antiX, but the process would be similar for LXDE.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZfFwaIY7-W
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

figueroa

#9 Post by figueroa »

saturn1955 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:57 am ... I want to install antix 1.9.3 with space-icewm desktop as default on my experimental pc, that the pc is starting with automatic login direct to the space-icewm. What do I ve to configure?
You want "space-icewm" and your getting "space-icewm" so it sounds like you've got what you wanted.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Return to “antiX”