MX-19: FEEDBACK of latest GRUB 2.04-9~mx19+5 update

arjaybe

Re: MX-19: FEEDBACK of latest GRUB 2.04-9~mx19+5 update

#61 Post by arjaybe »

LinnitXa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:58 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:34 pm when you boot a live-usb, there should be a choice to use grub and then grub rescue menus. it will scan your drive looking for grub setups it can boot.
ok, that worked up to a point, I found Boot rescue menues > searched > found a boot grub loader @HD1.MSDOS1) boot
I selected it and enter and it brought me straight to my FDE password window, logged in all ok.
But - to test if it was fixed I re-booted and the same error message I got originally

"Welcome to GRUB!
error: symbol 'grub_calloc' not found
grub rescue> _ "
Once you're in your OS, run the boot repair from there.
Green Comet
Space particles.

fehlix
Developer

#62 Post by fehlix »

You can actually repair grub either from within the booted encrypted install, booting via LiveUSB Rescue Menus.
Or alternativeyl run MX Boot Repair from the LiveUSB directly.
The trick when you run from LiveUSB, you need to select the encrypted root as root location (e.g. sda2) not boot (sda1).
The grub target for the MBR would be the drive sda.
You will be asked to enter the Luks-encryption password:
MXBR1.png
MXBR2_root_enc.png
MXBR2_root_enc2.png
MXBR2_root_enc3.png
:puppy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

LinnitXa

#63 Post by LinnitXa »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:01 pm you would still need to run the boot repair, did you do that?
I've done that now and this time it worked, using the same locations. I've tested with a re-boot and all is fine now on that pc.

Now - this pc I'm typing on has 40 updates pending - if I get that window again re grub options, what should I choose? I hope to avoid all this fixing, but I am grateful for the very prompt help I've had today.

But if the window with the grub choices could be done more clearly, perhaps not in the middle of 40 updates, with more info for the less expert users like me, it would be better.

LinnitXa

#64 Post by LinnitXa »

arjaybe - thanks, got that!

fehlix - great, I've taken screenshot of that, as well as Dolphin's soluttions.

fehlix
Developer

#65 Post by fehlix »

LinnitXa wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm if I get that window again re grub options, what should I choose?
You choose as the GRUB-Device target to install the GRUB-loader onto the boot-drive: In your case sda.
With this the grub-bootloader gets installed into the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the drive/device sda
BIOS can only boot from the MBR of a drive, not from a PBR (Partition Boot Record) of a partition.
See this:
grub upgrade:
Grub Device selection:
grub-upgrade-GRUB-installe-devices.png
which comes with a help on mouse hoover and help-button:
grub-upgrade-GRUB-installe-devices-HELP.png
you select the full boot drive. not any partition
grub-upgrade-GRUB-installe-devices-to-SDA-MBR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LinnitXa

#66 Post by LinnitXa »

Thanks fehlix, I'll use that.

SwampRabbit

#67 Post by SwampRabbit »

fehlix wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 pm You can actually repair grub either from within the booted encrypted install, booting via LiveUSB Rescue Menus.
Or alternativeyl run MX Boot Repair from the LiveUSB directly.
The trick when you run from LiveUSB, you need to select the encrypted root as root location (e.g. sda2) not boot (sda1).
The grub target for the MBR would be the drive sda.
You will be asked to enter the Luks-encryption password:
MXBR1.pngMXBR2_root_enc.pngMXBR2_root_enc2.pngMXBR2_root_enc3.png
That's awesome fehlix, I was looking to do screenshots, but you are the expert on this so the extra info is great for users.

Should we maybe to a HOWTO for that forum section, maybe add this stuff to the wiki?
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

fehlix
Developer

#68 Post by fehlix »

SwampRabbit wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 pm Should we maybe to a HOWTO for that forum section, maybe add this stuff to the wiki?
That would be awesome :happy:

PeterPiper

#69 Post by PeterPiper »

Hello, everyone,

since yesterday i also have the problem, after an update that only boots grub in secure mode.
I have removed everything like on page 5 here... reinstalled everything... and also tried the repair options. nothing helps.
With the MX Boot Repair option Grub reinstalled I get the error

grub-install: Warning: This GPT partition label has no BIOS boot partition, embedding would be impossible.
grub-install: Warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed using blocklists in this configuration. Blocklists are unreliable and their use is not recommended.
installation completed. No errors occurred.

I am desperate here... please help.

fehlix
Developer

#70 Post by fehlix »

PeterPiper wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 am Hello, everyone,

since yesterday i also have the problem, after an update that only boots grub in secure mode.
I have removed everything like on page 5 here... reinstalled everything... and also tried the repair options. nothing helps.
With the MX Boot Repair option Grub reinstalled I get the error

grub-install: Warning: This GPT partition label has no BIOS boot partition, embedding would be impossible.
grub-install: Warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed using blocklists in this configuration. Blocklists are unreliable and their use is not recommended.
installation completed. No errors occurred.

I am desperate here... please help.
Yes. As stated within the Warning text something is missing. When you originally installed MX Linux in BIOS/legacy mode, you have created all partitions yourself on this GPT drive. But a BIOS/legacy installation performed on a GPT-drive requires an extra small sized bios_grub helper partition. Otherwise GRUB complains utterly. Note, for auto-installation full disk the Installer would have created a non-GPT MBR/BIOS/msdos partion-table disk.
To fix:
Boot from LiveUSB , open Gparted and create a small 1MB sized unformatted (!!) partition on that boot drive. Give it a partition label "bios_grub" and with "Manage flags" mark this partition as "bios_grub" (!!).
Best to create this small bios_grub helper partition as close as possible to the beginning of the disk, just to avoid to have to deal with to big block numbers.
After this is done re-rerun MX Boot Repair.

Return to “General”