About the MX Linux logo

Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive.
Jackseller

About the MX Linux logo

#1 Post by Jackseller »

Hi,

Since MX Linux became the most popular linux distribution, have you ever considered to change your logo to something more modern and professional ?
I'm sorry to sound a bit harsh (specially for my first post here :embarrassed: ), but the actual logo looks really outdated and doesn't fit really well with the standing and the quality of this excellent distribution.

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: About the MX Linux logo

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

1. What makes you think that MX is 'the the most popular linux distribution'?
2. The logo looks modern and professional enough to me. Can you show us your more modern and professional version?
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Jackseller wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:43 am Hi,

Since MX Linux became the most popular linux distribution, have you ever considered to change your logo to something more modern and professional ?
I'm sorry to sound a bit harsh (specially for my first post here :embarrassed: ), but the actual logo looks really outdated and doesn't fit really well with the standing and the quality of this excellent distribution.
Given that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, it is extremely difficult to please everyone (maybe even anyone???) with an(any?) artistic design. Given the current retro rage for things, I'm quite certain I do not really know what modern is or means. I'm pretty certain 10 people might have 8 different opinions... maybe even per person and topic. :lipsrsealed: :eek:

Having said that, and in the spirit of open systems, I would encourage you to put forth suggestions that you believe strongly offer a positive and constructive improvement over the status quo.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Mauser

#4 Post by Mauser »

There are other versions of the MX Linux logo here that might be more to your liking. https://mxlinux.org/art/ The other alternative is depending on your artistic abilities you can design your own in Gimp and ask the developers if you can add it to MX Art.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Mauser wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:08 am There are other versions of the MX Linux logo here that might be more to your liking. https://mxlinux.org/art/ The other alternative is depending on your artistic abilities you can design your own in Gimp and ask the developers if you can add it to MX Art.
Inkscape would probably be a better choice, since a resolution-independent SVG vector image format is preferable.

seaken64

#6 Post by seaken64 »

Jackseller wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:43 am Hi,

Hi Jackseller, welcome to the MX forum.

I don't think MX is the most popular. But it is a great distro! What do you consider "modern and professional"?

I'm not sure what modern is. Is stable modern? Reliable? Excellent? I think MX does a pretty fine job of providing an excellent tool for even the most demanding modern worker to get their work done. And I would guess that a designer would modify their own Linux system to suit they're need for perfect form. Maybe even using MX as a base. Or maybe not. Maybe they'll use a MAC instead. Who knows?

I certainly think MX is professional. The developers know how to make a stable system available to the public and pay attention to the need of it's users. They are responsive and accountable. Is that all shown in a logo? Or does the logo become associated with those qualities?

Am I so old fashioned that I don't choose my tools based on the logo? When I came to antiX and MX I did not think about their logo. But I did think they were professional. And I have learned that they are modern. Many other distros have gone away. But MX remains in the pantheon of stable Debian derivatives. Still here in 2020. That's pretty modern to me.

I realize I am being a little antagonistic. But you did open the door, even suggesting embarrassment. I just think this idea that the logo is outdated and doesn't fit is so subjective. Who decides what fits?

Now, you may have some great ideas about logos. Maybe you're even right about the logo. But I do not personally agree. How many are like me and don't let the logo get in their way of using a great distro? If you are right then maybe as time goes by you can contribute to some artwork that appeals to your own aesthetic. I would have no problem if the developers decide to change the logo. But shouldn't you try to first try to make MX "fit" and see how it can work for you before you share your own distaste for the logo?

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

figueroa

#7 Post by figueroa »

Re: "more modern and professional"

Sounds like the baloney they sell in school these days. The logo is fine.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Adrian
Developer

#8 Post by Adrian »

With MEPIS I remember that we kept changing the logo, that's a pain from design point of view and brand consistency, I'd be happy if we stick with one logo for a long period of time.

SwampRabbit

#9 Post by SwampRabbit »

I personally think the current logo is great.

For those that weren't around for the many conversations about the logo... here is a good one.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52295&hilit=logo
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Jackseller

#10 Post by Jackseller »

First of all, as a non native english speaker, i try to do my best to be understood. I'm sorry if some of my formulations sound like "the baloney they sell in school these days"...

I'm using MX Linux for a while alongside with Manjaro. Both are excellent distros.

According to the numerous discussions on different forums and the ranking on Distrowatch, MX Linux and Manjaro seem to be currently the most popular desktop distros.

About the logo, it was just a question and i was expressing my opinion.
Having a little experience in graphic design, I started yesterday to sketch something with Inkscape after my initial post.
But reading the reactions to my message today, my suggestion seems to have irritated some people.
It was not at all my intention. I just wanted to help.

So I'm going to stop the discussion here and please accept my apologies if I offended some people.

Return to “MX Art”