-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX17 will not allow bios boot install

theber
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MX17 will not allow bios boot install

#21 Post by theber » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm

My boot loader is grub 2. I recovered the Windows MBR using a Rescatux stick. I've also recovered the MBR using the Windows repair DVD that came with my laptop, but Rescatux is faster and easier. Of course this step only restores the Windows installation, and there is no Grub menu afterwards.

After recovering the Windows MBR I either used a Super Grub stick, or just installed another Linux onto the partition where MX17 had been installed, to get back into my other OS's:
  • When I booted using the Super Grub stick there was indeed an entry for MX17, but it would not boot. I could boot into the other Linux desktops using the Super Grub stick however. Running update-grub from another booted linux did not help me boot into MX17 afterwards, although I don't remember if update-grub generated an MX17 entry or not. It just didn't help me get into MX.
  • Instead of using Super Grub, which didn't work, I just installed OpenSUSE Leap, for example, onto the previous MX17 installation. Thereafter every OS could boot, using BIOS mode. I checked each booted OS separately to see that they all were booted in BIOS mode.
...alles ist fertig. es muss nur noch gemacht werden...

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#22 Post by fehlix » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 pm

theber wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm
  • When I booted using the Super Grub stick there was indeed an entry for MX17, but it would not boot.
Thanks, it's now a bit clearer to me.
I'm also using SGD2 fairly often, normaly it could boot nearly into anything ...
You have two options with SGD2: Either "chainload" into an existing grub,
or "source" the grub.cfg. Which one did not work?

In addtion you have also from within running MX17 Live, a "MX Boot repair",
which will recreate / repaire existing grub-installation, mbr and will recreate a new grub-menu.

And finally: You mention Downgrade from Windows 8?
Did the downgrade include an a partion table change from GPT to MBR/msdos partion table?

Or was that an clean install with whiping out the full drive properly,
which even couse problems if not clearing all residual GPT blocks,
as it's known that GPT to MBR transformation can cause lots of issues.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

theber
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#23 Post by theber » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm not sure what you mean with the two options. In Super Grub there are entries showing the partition numbers, and also entries showing the name of the OS. Neither of them allowed me to boot MX17. As an aside, when I used Super Grub without first using Rescatux to restore the Windows MBR, then the Windows entry in Super Grub said something like "BIOS BOOT REQUIRED".

As for running MX Boot repair, I wouldn't think to use that before installing an OS, because the OS usually generates a new grub menu as part of the installation.

I can't answer your question about the downgrade to W7. Where I worked all the PC's still today use Windows 7, but how it gets installed is unknown to me. As I mentioned, I have only had this problem once before, with OpenSUSE Leap 42, but I was able to research the problem and correct it. Now I routinely delete EFI partitions on ISO sticks before installing, and MX17 is the only one that has resisted this procedure.
...alles ist fertig. es muss nur noch gemacht werden...

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Post by fehlix » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:45 pm

theber wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 pm
I'm not sure what you mean with the two options. In Super Grub there are entries showing the partition numbers, and also entries showing the name of the OS. Neither of them allowed me to boot MX17. As an aside, when I used Super Grub without first using Rescatux to restore the Windows MBR, then the Windows entry in Super Grub said something like "BIOS BOOT REQUIRED".
In the main SGD2 menu you have 2 or 3 option to scan the HD, somethin like scan "bootloader" and scan "grub.cfg"....
Chainloading means something like "boot/load" another bootloader (grub2-bootloader or Win-bootloader) and go from there.
"source" in grub.cfg, is loading existing grub.cfg menu into the running grub (i.e. the grub running from SGD2))
theber wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 pm
As for running MX Boot repair, I wouldn't think to use that before installing an OS, because the OS usually generates a new grub menu as part of the installation.
"MX Boot repair" can repair an exiting grub2-installation on the HD, reagardeless of you have installed MX17 or not.
You can think of GRUB2 is kind of independent of exiting OS installation, i.e. you can even install GRUB2 onto an HD having no OS or only WinOS.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Installation”