Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installation issues and concerns

Message
Author
Byteria
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#51 Post by Byteria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

fehlix wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am
@adrian,
my guess: When the practical limit of partitions is reached
the mxinstaller just hangs. If one has more than 3prim and 11 logical,
recreating a partitions might just stuck without further error mesg.
We might think to check this limit of mbr-partitions. I know that's not a theoretical
limit of extended partition design, but an implementation limit within
most linux libs and the MBR holding only 16 ( 3 prim + 1 extended + 12 logical).
@fehlix,
this external USB2 SSD has 3prim and 7 logical.

Just one question: ─ If I edit Live MX /etc/default/grub and disable OS_PROBER, it could make effect to the Installer?

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#52 Post by fehlix » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Byteria wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Just one question: ─ If I edit Live MX /etc/default/grub and disable OS_PROBER, it could make effect to the Installer?
GRUB installer comes fairly at the end of mx-installer. You could even skip grub installation.
So remove disable OS_PROBER would only have an effect on the grub-installer part.

Byteria
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#53 Post by Byteria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 pm
the last time we had this issue, the poster also had several drives with several partitions each (something like 40).

that poster ended up taking out 3 of his drives and the install proceeded.
@dolphin_oracle

I had some problems with Grub, from February to April, ─ and they affected some installations, too.

They were solved disabling OS_PROBER on 10 of 12 installed distros, ─ now just Mageia's and Leap's Grub generate complete Boot Menus. ─ Other distro's Grub generate just their own entries, in order to be read by these 2 "main" Grub.

After solve it, no other new installation did present any problem or delay.

Well... it is a possibility ─ but... since the first moment? Usually, Grub run some time later than this.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 8683
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#54 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Byteria wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm
fehlix wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am
@adrian,
my guess: When the practical limit of partitions is reached
the mxinstaller just hangs. If one has more than 3prim and 11 logical,
recreating a partitions might just stuck without further error mesg.
We might think to check this limit of mbr-partitions. I know that's not a theoretical
limit of extended partition design, but an implementation limit within
most linux libs and the MBR holding only 16 ( 3 prim + 1 extended + 12 logical).
@fehlix,
this external USB2 SSD has 3prim and 7 logical.

Just one question: ─ If I edit Live MX /etc/default/grub and disable OS_PROBER, it could make effect to the Installer?

probably not.

could you post the output of the following:

Code: Select all


partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd2

http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#55 Post by fehlix » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Hunting for partition related issues is always good to start with something like

Code: Select all

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Byteria
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#56 Post by Byteria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:20 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Byteria wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm
fehlix wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am
@adrian,
my guess: When the practical limit of partitions is reached
the mxinstaller just hangs. If one has more than 3prim and 11 logical,
recreating a partitions might just stuck without further error mesg.
We might think to check this limit of mbr-partitions. I know that's not a theoretical
limit of extended partition design, but an implementation limit within
most linux libs and the MBR holding only 16 ( 3 prim + 1 extended + 12 logical).
@fehlix,
this external USB2 SSD has 3prim and 7 logical.

Just one question: ─ If I edit Live MX /etc/default/grub and disable OS_PROBER, it could make effect to the Installer?

probably not.

could you post the output of the following:

Code: Select all


partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd2

Command return:

Code: Select all

flavio@Linux10:~
$ su
Senha:
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd2
sdd 2
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd
sdd

Byteria
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#57 Post by Byteria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm

fehlix wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm
Hunting for partition related issues is always good to start with something like

Code: Select all

fdisk -l /dev/sdd
It returns this:

Code: Select all

root@Linux10:/home/y# fdisk -l /dev/sdd
Disk /dev/sdd: 931,5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xb56924a9

Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1  *          2048   52430847   52428800    25G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd2         52430848  104859647   52428800    25G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd3        104859648  157288447   52428800    25G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd4        157288448 1953523711 1796235264 856,5G  5 Extended
/dev/sdd5        157290496  209719295   52428800    25G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd6        209721344  262150143   52428800    25G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd7        262152192  314580991   52428800    25G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd8        314583040 1927292927 1612709888   769G 83 Linux
/dev/sdd9       1927294976 1936207871    8912896   4,3G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdd10      1936209920 1945122815    8912896   4,3G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdd11      1945124864 1953523711    8398848     4G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 8683
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#58 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm

thank you.

and now

Code: Select all

partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd10
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

Byteria
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#59 Post by Byteria » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm
thank you.

and now

Code: Select all

partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd10
Linux11, Home11 ,Swap11 ─ tryed last night:

Code: Select all

root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd2
sdd 2
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd6
sdd 6
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd10
sdd 10
Linux10, Hom10, Swap10 ─ tryed last month, then installed antiX, and then cli-installed MX:

Code: Select all

root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd1
sdd 1
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd5
sdd 5
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd9
sdd 9
It seems not so useful.

What could it show, if there was some problem?

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 8683
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Installation issues and concerns

#60 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Byteria wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:26 pm
thank you.

and now

Code: Select all

partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd10
Linux11, Home11 ,Swap11 ─ tryed last night:

Code: Select all

root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd2
sdd 2
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd6
sdd 6
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd10
sdd 10
Linux10, Hom10, Swap10 ─ tryed last month, then installed antiX, and then cli-installed MX:

Code: Select all

root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd1
sdd 1
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd5
sdd 5
root@Linux10:/home/y# partition-info split-device=/dev/sdd9
sdd 9
It seems not so useful.

What could it show, if there was some problem?
I don't know, I'm looking for problems, but I don't have a linux box in front of me right now. I was working on the theory that the large number of drives in use was a factor.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

Post Reply

Return to “Installation”