-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New Buntu's

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: New Buntu's

#11 Post by malspa » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 pm

I have Kubuntu 18.04 installed but haven't yet looked at the 18.04 releases of any of the other flavors. The Kubuntu release looks very good here. YMMV, of course. I used the "Minimal Installation" option; I'm really happy that they have that in the installer. I don't know if the MX installer has a similar option (I don't see it in the manual) but something like that would be very attractive. I've had good luck with each LTS release, going all the way back to 6.06 ("Dapper"), whether I've gone with Ubuntu or with one of the flavors.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by dreamer » Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Dedoimedo has reviewed Xubuntu 18.04. MX-17 seems the place to be at least for Xfce.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-beaver.html

Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by Danum » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 pm
Thanks Danum. Good to see you. Hope all has been well. I've heard good things about Neon. I take it they're putting out a new spin based on *buntu 18.04? What would distinguish it from Kubuntu?
Hi Mark, yes they are doing a spin on 18.04, most of it is already built.
the thing with Neon is it is built by the developers of KDE,using the latest release of KDE so if they do not know what they are doing there is no hope for the distro's that are building it, it is a minimal install.
One of the problems with KDE these days, if you can call it a problem is by other DE's standards the fast update cycle it uses with Neon
you will get these.
The user release is for me the most stable KDE I have ever used,
If you are coming from KDE4 it will be a learning curve but in my opinion well worth it.

Danum
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by KBD » Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm

sunrat wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm
Stevo has also been threatening to do a proper MX KDE remix for recent Plasma.
I would be very interested in trying that out.

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by rokytnji.1 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 pm

I am KDE dyslexic. Otherwise. I'd give https://kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng a try.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by KBD » Thu May 17, 2018 5:55 pm

rokytnji.1 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 pm
I am KDE dyslexic. Otherwise. I'd give https://kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng a try.
That's one I have not heard of. I mostly stayed away from KDE recently, but the new Plasma desktop looks nice, and they have it running really light. I saw where it came out about even with the MATE desktop: 500mb ram use on Kubuntu 18.04. That is impressive for a KDE desktop.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by asqwerth » Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 am

Kanotix is of roughly the same vintage as Mepis, and the main guy, Kano, is respected. He knows his stuff.

I was running Kanotix KDE4 and LXDE - Wheezy and Jessie versions - for some time and both ran very well and efficiently, even on a 1GB Pentium 4 with a graphics card that wouldn't run Gnome3 or Cinnamon.

However, with MX14 to 16 running so smoothly with great tools and packaging team, and being primarily English-language in its support (Kanotix's forum support is mainly German with a small English section), I decided there was no point continuing with Kanotix once Stretch rolled in.

But if you're self-sufficient and really want Plasma in a Debian-based distro, I'm sure their Plasma version will be as competent and efficient as their stuff always is. You get their updated kernels and the distro's graphics recognition is pretty good. But you won't get the vast number of tools you see in MX Linux and aesthetics are not a priority for them (ie, customisation is all up to the user).

Don't be fooled by their outdated website. They have the latest Stretch versions AND nightly builds of their isos here: https://nightly.kanotix.acritox.com/

Steelfire = Stretch
Spitfire = Jessie
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#18 Post by malspa » Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 am

asqwerth wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 am
Kanotix is of roughly the same vintage as Mepis, and the main guy, Kano, is respected. He knows his stuff.
Indeed, I still have a Kanotix live CD that someone gave me back in late 2007. The disk is labeled "Kanotix 2007-RC6B".

Return to “Chat”