-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Installing to my hard drive with Mint 18.3 in use

awsim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Installing to my hard drive with Mint 18.3 in use

#1 Post by awsim » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I want to install Mx 17 on my hard drive which already has Mint Cinnamon installed on it.If I use the install button displayed on the opening page of the install of MX17 on my bootable usb will the installation partition the hard drive and do the install automatically without a affecting Mint or wiping the data already on the hard drive

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Installing to my hard drive with Mint 18.3 in use

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:14 pm

No.

You need to manually do your partitions. there is a link to gparted in the installer, or you can run gparted from the live-usb ahead of time.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:29 pm

You also need to decide if you want Mint's boot manager to handle GRUB, or install and use MX's. You'll be asked if you want to install GRUB during the install process. If you keep Mint's, you'll have to boot to Mint and run "update-grub" in it.

awsim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by awsim » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 pm

When partitioning the hard drive I would like to reduce the size of the partition used by Mint . Can this be done without affecting the Mint install and if so how much space %age wise should be left in the Mint partition.Will this work Mint and MX 17 root partition 15 GiB each,Home 35 GiB, Swap 3Gib

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Stevo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes, you can shrink the Mint partitions, though because of the way that Linux file systems distribute the files evenly through the partition, this may take hours and hours, depending on how much Mint data has to be moved. You can have Mint and MX share the same swap partition if you don't use hibernation in either one, since MX and maybe Mint put the hibernation file in the swap partition. Your partition sizes look OK to me.

awsim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by awsim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 am

Can I partition my hard drive when booted into MX17 on my usb persistent stick. My understanding is that I cant do this while operating my hard drive .Is there any connection between my hard drive and the usb stick and my hdd because I need to unmount the partition to alter it and the actiion for this is greyed out.Thanks in anticipation.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Yes, you should be able to use GParted from a live MX session to shrink the Mint Partions and create new ones for MX in the new empty space.

In what program are you seeing the unmount option as greyed out?

Return to “Forum How-to's”