-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MS Font install?

dirkme
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

MS Font install?

#1 Post by dirkme » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 am

Hello there,

is there a way to install the MS Fonts like under ubuntu?

With onlyOffice and MS Fonts on ubuntu, there are very little format errors, I would love to get this running on my MX16 install.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MS Font install?

#2 Post by Stevo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:44 am

Core XP fonts can be installed by installing the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package.

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by i_ri » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:35 am

hello dirkme and Stevo
see repository package ttf-mscorefonts-installer ? is that similar to your experience prior?
see repository package libwine ? [tahoma?]
repository package winetricks claims to include corefonts?
yup Stevo said that first one. beat me to it. and Stevo probably knows the answer to what fonts come in winetricks?

okay . here added fonts-wine and libwine. did not see any tahoma show up in the usual places. maybe that is for the wine side not here.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:43 am

For future reference, try this:

Atl-F1
Ctrl-F
"fonts"
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

dirkme
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by dirkme » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:05 am

i_ri wrote:hello dirkme and Stevo
see repository package ttf-mscorefonts-installer ? is that similar to your experience prior?
see repository package libwine ? [tahoma?]
repository package winetricks claims to include corefonts?
yup Stevo said that first one. beat me to it. and Stevo probably knows the answer to what fonts come in winetricks?

okay . here added fonts-wine and libwine. did not see any tahoma show up in the usual places. maybe that is for the wine side not here.
Just checked, it is installed by default.

Thanks a lot, sometimes i just need a refresher ;-)

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by i_ri » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:53 am

okay dirkme. very nice. Let's create documents! enjoy.

Toasted-Bagel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by Toasted-Bagel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi,

I just installed MX 17.1

The fonts look awful especially in the browser. I see the drop down menu inside of MX TWEAKS > appearance

But i dont know which one to choose in the drop down. Please advise me.

Look at how bad it is (using Vivaldi browser) :

UPDATE: Wow, that is cool as sh1t the way that the screenshot tool automatically uploads to Imgur. Im also loving the copy paste clipboard history. Such cool tolls that i never even knew existed back when I was using ubuntu Mate 18.04

EDIT: Actually its just in the browser that I dont like the fonts, its not system-wide. So here is the font setup of the browser:

Please advise me what to change it to. And also I want to verify that by default this distro contains all the same fonts as mscorefonts + Ubuntu distro contains (and if not how do I obtain these)

I notice that I do have the package installed "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" but I never actually RAN THE INSTALLER with a ./

So do I need to actually RUN the installer to have the fonts?

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Is Vivaldi the only browser where the fonts look bad?

MS fonts should be already installed--check that out by looking to see if they appear in one of those drop-down lists--just look for Arial. But if Vivaldi is set to use those old MS fonts already, I would suggest setting them all to a modern Noto font instead to see if that improves the rendering.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by manyroads » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 pm

I have to say I have not used MSfonts for the last 10 years without difficulty. I tend to use roboto or noto sans as the default in everything and am more than happy with the results. I know I'm old, nearly blind and only have 44+ years of software experience, but those seem to work for me. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
ManyRoads (Mark Rabideau)
http://many-roads.com
MX-18b1_x64 Continuum
Platform: Dell Latitude E5470
CPU: Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 8GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130
:bagoverhead:

Toasted-Bagel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by Toasted-Bagel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 am

Thank you guys,

I will give that a shot. Maybe it is not accurate to say they look "bad fonts"

What I mean is that they look "different" than what I am accustomed to with Ubuntu and with Windows 10

In fact I will boot into the other distro and see what the default fonts are set to.

But other than that I am "all set" as far as fully migrating over from Ubuntu Mate 18.04 over to MX Linux 17.1 as my main distro for production.

I would normally test out a distro for at least a week but this MX linux is working so exceptionally well that I am jumping in head first.

When I go to bed I usually set the system to suspend mode and in the morning when I wake it back up I was having problem with Ubuntu Mate 18.04 that the system would completely hang when I tried to wake it back up and I would be forced to press the power button on my desktop PC and hold it in until the PC would "hard-poweroff"

That was just one of many issues but this is not the place for me to complain about Ubuntu. Suffice it to say that MX Linux is working alot better for me and this forum is really the best I have ever seen.

Round of applause for MX Linux Horizon :happybday:

Return to “Software / Configuration”