[SOLVED] Cannot Save Any Change to DE  [Solved]

denial

[SOLVED] Cannot Save Any Change to DE

#1 Post by denial »

Hi guys!,
I'm using MX-21.2.1 with Xfce 4.16.0 as DE. Everything was OK 'til I created a new user (with admin permissions) and I had the brilliant idea to export my DE settings from one user to another: so I copied my .config/xfce4 folder from one home to another.

Now, result is that I do have all configurations I wanted but if I'd like to change anything (e.g. desktop background image) it lasts 'till session end, so that every login I have to change it again.

Any way to fix this?

Cheers in advance,

Denial
Last edited by denial on Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Huckleberry Finn

Re: Cannot Save Any Change to DE

#2 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

How did you do the create new user/export/copy ? Manually?

Do it again (if you like) from the Original User to the new one using "MX User Manager" - "Copy/Sync" tab.

denial

#3 Post by denial »

Thanks for helping.
Huckleberry Finn wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:14 pm How did you do the create new user/export/copy ? Manually?

Do it again (if you like) from the Original User to the new one using "MX User Manager" - "Copy/Sync" tab.
I created the new user using "MX user manager" tool. Then I've manually copied the .config/xfce4 folder from a user to another.

I tried doing that again using "mx user manager" tool, tab "coopy/export" but I cannot use it: it only allows me to copy/export the:
- entire home folder;
- Document folder;
- Shared Folder;
- Mozilla Settings;

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Cannot Save Any Change to DE  [Solved]

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

so did you need sudo privledges to make the copy? if so, then likey one set has been changed owner from your user to root. and Xfce won't be able to change those files until the owner is changed to the user.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

denial

#5 Post by denial »

true story!!! the permissions! thanks mate, it was so easy I've been looking around for a solution for 3 days! problem solved!

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”