Snapshot Exclusion List (for .config)

Madison

Snapshot Exclusion List (for .config)

#1 Post by Madison »

Hi

I have made some changes in /home/username/.config/

I want to keep my configs when I create a snapshot, how can I achieve that?

Thank you

--
Regards,
Madison

Adrian
Developer

Re: Snapshot Exclusion List (for .config)

#2 Post by Adrian »

Comment out ".config" line in /etc/mx-snapshot-exclude.list (there's a button to open that file in the editor)

Stuart_M

Re: Snapshot Exclusion List (for .config)

#3 Post by Stuart_M »

By making a "Personal Snapshot", which is the default method.
  • At the bottom of the second window when creating a snapshot, under "Type of snapshot:", enable "Preserving accounts (for personal backup)". That is the default setting. That is what I use and with only two exceptions that I'm aware of, all my configurations in .config are kept when using this type of Snapshot.

The only two exceptions where my configurations are not carried over (that I know of) are the network DNS settings, which revert to their default settings (I use "1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1" which reverts to a blank entry on my Personal Snapshots). And the second is the PulseAudio Mixer which reverts to "Analog Stereo Output" on a Snapshot (I had it set to "PCM2704 16-bit stereo audio DAC"). Otherwise all my configurations are carried over. Are your configuration settings from ~/.config not carried over?
  • The second method would be to comment out .config on the "mx-snapshot-exclude-list", which should be Line 6. However, I have never tried it and don't see a need for it unless maybe it would be used when creating a "general" snapshot (selecting "Resetting accounts (for distribution to others)" when selecting the type of snapshot to use).

That file can be accessed by clicking the "Edit Exclusion File" button on the same window mentioned in the first bullet point. But then I think excluding .config here is done automatically when making a Personal Snapshot as shown above, but I'm not sure.

Return to “Software / Configuration”