How to Change One Menu/Toolbar Icon? ICEWM

shrinker09

How to Change One Menu/Toolbar Icon? ICEWM

#1 Post by shrinker09 »

I'm using Firefox-ESR and I'd like it to show the regular firefox.png icon instead of the firefox-esr.png icon everywhere -- in the menu, in the toolbar when it's open, etc. I've looked in control center/ICEWM under preferences and toolbar but I haven't found a place to change the icon. Under the menu, where it lets you add or remove items, there's a box to check to edit the icon, but even when I check the box, it doesn't let me change the icon. I tried opening firefox.png in GIMP so I could change its name to firefox-esr.png, but it says I'm not authorized.

shrinker09

Re: How to Change One Menu/Toolbar Icon? ICEWM

#2 Post by shrinker09 »

I opened the folder with sudo in the terminal and changed the name of firefox-esr.png to firefox-esr2.png, and then I changed the name of firefox.png to firefox-esr.png. I rebooted the computer, but it's still showing the icon I don't want.

shrinker09

#3 Post by shrinker09 »

There must be another place for this icon. I'm clicking on all the firefox icons in the usr/share/icons/papyrus-antix/app folder and they all look the same. The one I don't want is not in that folder.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

you'll want to edit the ~/.icewm/toolbar file, find the entry for the firefox-esr and modify the icon shown there.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

shrinker09

#5 Post by shrinker09 »

I have edited it, it shows one of my icon changes but not the other, and it's ignoring my addition. I did find a way to add Firefox ESR to the toolbar, and it actually used the icon I wanted.

I still haven't found a way to change the icon everywhere, but I think it may be a Firefox thing, not an antiX thing. I found this:

home/pc/.local/share/plasma-icons

When I added an icon to that list of options, it changed it in one place (desktop apps). I guess I need to keep looking.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

note that sometimes the menu and/or toolbar entries point to whatever default browser is defined by desktop-defaults.

also, since most of icewm is not actually built from desktop files (the application menu is, but not the top level or the the toolbar) there may be a lot of places to make such a change, depending on what you are actually doing.

you can manually update the application menu I think via the update menu entry somewhere in the icewm menu (top level I think, maybe top of the applications menu, I don't remember).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

oops

#7 Post by oops »

Example of /home/user/.icewm/menu (or toolbar)

Code: Select all

menu "Terminal..." /usr/share/icewm/icons/xfce4-appfinder {
prog "Terminal Defaut" /usr/share/icewm/icons/xterm x-terminal-emulator
#prog Terminal /usr/share/icewm/icons/xterm xfce4-terminal
#or
#prog Terminal /mydir/myicone.png xfce4-terminal
	}
menu "Web Browser..." /usr/share/icewm/icons/palemoon {
prog "Palemoon" /usr/share/icewm/icons/palemoon palemoon
# or
#prog "Palemoon" /mydir/palemoon.svg palemoon
prog "firefox-esr" /usr/share/icewm/icons/firefox-esr firefox-esr
prog "default" ! x-www-browser
	}
# etc...
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

shrinker09

#8 Post by shrinker09 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:44 pm note that sometimes the menu and/or toolbar entries point to whatever default browser is defined by desktop-defaults.
I was able to change the default browser and even get it to show the correct icon in the menu and toolbar -- that part was easy to figure out.

shrinker09

#9 Post by shrinker09 »

I'll compare my toolbar code with your example, maybe I did something wrong.

oops

#10 Post by oops »

FI: icons by default into IceWM are the icons.xpm format. (with or without the .xpm extension specified)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “antiX”