Youtube-dl-gui not in MX-21?

keos

Youtube-dl-gui not in MX-21?

#1 Post by keos »

Hello,

The youtube-dl-gui, youtubedlg application, does not find it for MX installer. Does not it come in this new version, Wildflower?

Thanks for the clarification.

Greetings.
Acer Aspire A315-58
Intel Core i7-1165G7
Iris Xe Graphics
MX-23.2-Xfce4 - 4.18.2

*Matthew 5:11

SwampRabbit

Re: Youtube-dl-gui not in MX-21?

#2 Post by SwampRabbit »

youtube-dl has been abandoned by the actual developer, this happened very recently (like within a month), the new package to use is yt-dlp. I don't know if any of the GUI applications have actually switched over to use yt-dlp. Sorry, you'll probably have to wait a bit for things to catch up.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Buck Fankers

#3 Post by Buck Fankers »

Youtube-dl is not being maintained/updated any more. And GUI uses it. There is new version that someone else works on it, but programmer who works on GUI probably needs to implement change.

There is another GUI, works very well and it is in MX PI: ClipGrab

When you install it and run it, it will offer to DL new "Youtube-dl" which has different name, something like youtube-dlp or similar. Confirm DL and you will have latest, updated, maintained YT downloader with nice GUI.

P.s. I did this on MX19, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on MX21

Buck Fankers

#4 Post by Buck Fankers »

SwampRabbit wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:09 am I don't know if any of the GUI applications have actually switched over to use yt-dlp.
ClipGrab does, it DL yt-dlp for you. Winner :number1:

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

@SwampRabbit I see in MX Test repo youtube-dl, but it errors out:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
youtube-dl : Depends: youtube-dlp but it is not installable
We probably need to remove that from MX Test.

SwampRabbit

#6 Post by SwampRabbit »

@Adrian are you talking about youtube-dl for MX-19?

yt-dlp has a youtube-dl transitional package.

I know Stevo was working these and I don't think he was finished, which is most likely the reason its all in MX Test repo.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

Adrian
Developer

#7 Post by Adrian »

I'm talking about MX Test in MX-21, coming from this repo:

Code: Select all

http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/ bullseye test

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

FWIW Clipgrab looks to be only available these days as an appimage (https://clipgrab.org/download-clipgrab/). Based on what I find, the other versions appear to be abandoned (no activity since 2019).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

SwampRabbit

#9 Post by SwampRabbit »

@Adrian the only MX-21 YouTube-dl package I see is that transitional package for yt-dlp which “should” be ok.

Buck Fankers

#10 Post by Buck Fankers »

manyroads wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:47 am FWIW Clipgrab looks to be only available these days as an appimage (https://clipgrab.org/download-clipgrab/). Based on what I find, the other versions appear to be abandoned (no activity since 2019).
[edit: this is for my MX19, don't have XM21 yet]

I installed it from MXPI, stable and I have the newest version 3.9.7-1 which is new with new yt-dlp and uses Python 3.7.3 (older version used old Python 2.7)

I would guess, you have old version, which is not updating any more, and you will need to uninstall old version then install new. I guess this is needed, since new is not just upgrade but completely rewritten with Python 3.7

Interestingly in MXPI MX Test Repo has older version

Return to “Software / Configuration”