[24 hours left] Calling for MX21 Wallpaper Submissions

Any MX member can start threads and post in this section. Feel free to express your views, make requests, offer support, give ideas - basically anything to do with MX art. Art usually is an "in the eye of the beholder" thing - so please respect everyone's right to their own personal taste!
asqwerth
Developer

[24 hours left] Calling for MX21 Wallpaper Submissions

#1 Post by asqwerth »

Dear forum members,

Wallpaper submissions for MX21 are now open. Deadline: 12 midnight (0000h), Monday 9 August 2021 (California time)

MX21 will be codenamed "Wildflower", which is an indirect callback to Dolphin's blog post "A rose by any other name" [ https://mxlinux.org/blog/all-about-vers ... ther-name/ ] .

While on-theme wallpapers are certainly appreciated, please don't go overboard and submit nothing but flower pictures. Like before, we are looking for a varied collection, e.g.:
- nature/landscape/wildlife
- graphic/digital art
- urban/buildings/industrial/etc

What are we looking for?

The wallpaper images could be photographs, photo manipulations, graphic art including explorations of the MX name or logo, computer-generated images, etc. You’re restricted only by your creativity.

See : https://mxlinux.org/blog/calling-all-ar ... ive-types/

You can submit your own creations or the creations of other parties for consideration, provided all licences and conditions for distribution are respected. See note at the bottom of this post for information on licences and copyright.

Please note that submitted images must conform to the Forum rules about appropriate content, as set out here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29041

Wallpaper details and how to submit:

1. WP picture size: 1920 x 1200, of sufficiently high resolution at that size.

2. Please submit by hosting the actual pic on a picture hosting site of your choice, and then post a link to the picture, in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65640

Provide a thumbnail of the picture in your post [size limit per the rules for MX screenshots: maximum of 640 x 620] .

DO NOT POST YOUR WALLPAPERS IN THIS THREAD.

3. for each picture submitted, post these relevant details:
a) the source of the pic (e.g. yours? someone you know? Located at stated URL address?)
b) state the licence type and terms for the said pic (eg Creative Commons, CC0, etc),
c) if attribution is required under the licence, give the required details of creator/artist. We will include it in our attribution text file.

4. file size per image submitted: no more than 2MB per picture submitted.

5. [NOTE CHANGES TO PREVIOUS PRACTICE]
Addition of MX Linux logo on your wallpaper submissions no longer required

The affixation of our MX logo/name on the wallpaper is now optional. If you still wish to do so, the preference would be for said logo/name (you don't need to include both) to be translucent with a colour shade that blends more with the background behind it. The intention is to be more subtle.

For those who wish to affix the logo and/or name, please position the logo/MX name so that they are not blocked by either a horizontal or vertical panel. Note that while the XFCE flagship has a left vertical panel, MX-KDE's default panel is bottom horizontal (as will be MX-FB's) and placing the logo too low in the bottom right corner will cause it to be blocked by the panel.

For those who do want to affix the logo and/or name, or use them in a creative way, resources are set out below.

Resources:

link: https://mxlinux.org/art/

There are resources for the logo, name, the Crackdown font used for the name portion of the logo, even an overlay sheet "Logo on transparent background 1920×1200 for overlay on similar-sized wallpaper (svg)"

For the overlay: Download this said file, open your wallpaper in GIMP, then “Open [the Overlay Sheet] As Layer" from the File Menu option in GIMP and affix onto your wallpaper. You can then save/export the combined image as a jpg or png file.

You may wish to adjust colour or translucency first.

The team may also consider other artwork, or artwork already submitted by members that didn't have the opportunity to be showcased in the previous wallpaper packs.

There is nothing stopping forum members from refining/reworking images posted to the forum which have not been included in our previous packs. For instance you may wish to adjust any affixed logos/names to be more subtle, or remove it altogether.

Even if your submissions aren't selected for the MX21 default WP pack, your wallpapers will still be available for download by the community, searchable in the relevant Wallpaper Submissions thread, as long as you continue to host them.

Note on licences and copyright:

1. the source/provenance of the WP and terms of any licence attached to it are important, as we don't want copyright disputes with people claiming to be the rightful artist/creator.

2. Our preference would be to have photos/art created by forum members themselves, or by people who are willing to let MX use their art without any conditions except credit/attribution. As an example, the wallpaper in MX19 called "Marsh Grass at dawn" was from a friend of a Dev Team member, and she granted MX permission to use it.

3. However, we have no problems with work:
a) carrying liberal licences like CC0 provided the source/origin of the WP is not some questionable** site, or
b) under Creative Commons Share Alike licences, EXCEPT FOR the CC variants that prohibit derivative work (since we may add the MX logo or otherwise modify the work) or commercial use.

4. For members contributing suggestions from other sources, you may wish to consider (just some examples):
- Flickr or Unsplash contributors with acceptable licence terms for their pics who, from the picture details provided (e.g. camera used, lens, location, time, date, occasion), are credible as the creator/taker of the pics
- https://pixabay.com/ , with hundreds of thousands of free images released under CC0 Public Domain Free for commercial use. No attribution required.
- another CC0 site: https://www.pexels.com/

NOTE: Although no attribution is needed for legitimate pics from these sites, for the purposes of WP submissions we are asking for details of the pic (URL source, licence terms, whether attribution is required, details of creator/artist). This is so that we can do some checking. I would also still like to give credit/attribution to these artists.

**It is true that some people may upload copyrighted material to sites like the above and claim them as their own. The origin of each pic can be checked at https://www.tineye.com/
If it doesn't appear in too many different places, it's more likely to be aboveboard. Use common sense.
Last edited by asqwerth on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

agnivo007

Re: Calling for Wallpaper Submissions for MX21

#2 Post by agnivo007 »

Probably this thread should be locked as submission thread is different.
- Roy, Kolkata, IN. "REDUCE-REUSE-RECYCLE-REPURPOSE"
MX-21-AHS-KDE on [ H110M-H : Modded BIOS | Core i3-9350K | 8GB DDR4 | SP A60 NVMe PCIe3x4 | Samsung Evo 870 SSD | WD Black Mobile HDD ]

linexer2016

#3 Post by linexer2016 »

And I see asqwerth where this thread supersedes that "placeholder". It just threw me seeing that momentarily :)

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

This thread will be for any questions or updates about the submission process.

The other thread (link is found in my first post) will be for the actual wallpapers. That was the placeholder thread, now suitably renamed.

I want to separate the two.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

asqwerth
Developer

Re: [24 hours left] Calling for MX21 Wallpaper Submissions

#5 Post by asqwerth »

I'm happy to see so many different members submit really terrific pictures this round! :number1:

Submissions close in roughly 24 hours.

So if you have other stuff to submit, get them in soon!

Return to “Art Discussion”