After updated Suspension isn't working right!  [Solved]

aldQueiroz

Re: After updated Suspension isn't working right!

#11 Post by aldQueiroz »

Ok, I've got a new swap partition by using Gparted in a live session; it's still named as /dev/sda5, but it's a new one, with different UUID.
But now, I'm not finding how to access /etc/fstab at MX19 partition (in my SSD)! I've tried to mount the partition, but it doesn't appear in Thunar (the default File Manager)...
What to do now?!...
Last edited by aldQueiroz on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huckleberry Finn

Re: After updated Hibernation isn't working right!

#12 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

"Chroot Rescue Scan" from Menu.. hit Enter when (if) it finds your MX..

Then

Code: Select all

nano /etc/fstab

Note (copy-paste) the new uuid to a text file and close GParted ..

Or you can again issue blkid in a terminal (or within that chroot terminal) and copy-paste the uuid ...

You can retry in file manager after you close GParted.

In case you manage to change the fstab this or that way, don't forget to update initramfs , as above.

aldQueiroz

Re: After updated Suspension isn't working right!  [Solved]

#13 Post by aldQueiroz »

Right! With a little help form my friends (as always!), I've got the correct /etc/fstab (within SSD's MX19 !) edited. Actually, I had to create a "dummy" directory into /mnt (at the live session) to mount /dev/sdc1 (the SSD device)...
But it worked!
Then, I followed the instructions:
"Chroot Rescue Scan" (from the Launch Menu). Hit Enter.. It found the MX19, I selected it, then at the chroot> prompt I issued

update-initramfs -uk all
... it did all that stuff (including some warnings about cryptsetup-initramfs I may uninstall later...), and that's all, folk!
I've just checked if it's working as planned...! And, "surprise!", it is!! The menu of Actions buttons is showing the option of Hibernation too now (what I didn't choose...), but Suspension worked apparently fine, even with Firefox running!!
So, I think I can mark this thread as SOLVED!! :happy:
Thank you all, again!!
Last edited by aldQueiroz on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huckleberry Finn

Re: After updated Hibernation isn't working right!

#14 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

aldQueiroz wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:00 amAnd, "surprise!", it is!! The menu of Actions buttons is showing the option of Hibernation too now ...
So glad and thank you for the feedback and also for marking the thread :)

aldQueiroz

#15 Post by aldQueiroz »

Just to clarify: Suspension is working, but Hibernation is not..! I've just realized it!
Anyway, Suspension feature is enough for me, and I'll maintain this thread as solved.
I'll keep checking out what is still impeaching Hibernation feature in my system! I've tried the procedure as described at a former thread, but Hibernation button, athough appearing at logout window, doesn't work... I guess it's because I don't use systemd by default (the very reason I chose MX Linux!), and I intend keeping without it..!

Huckleberry Finn

#16 Post by Huckleberry Finn »

Ok. For now: Suspend uses just the Ram. Therefore faster :)

You can try these in a terminal if they work for hibernation or hybrid (both suspend and hibernation, that's better and faster than just hibernation)

sudo s2disk

sudo s2both

sudo pm-hibernate

sudo pm-suspend-hybrid
P.S. Memory: 7.77 and your swap partition needs to be big enough for hibernation. Generally they say as big as or 2 times of Ram. Ooth :
Stevo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:41 pm... RAM is compressed by a factor of maybe three times by default before it's written to the disk file, so swap doesn't necessarily have to be the same size as physical RAM. Compressing RAM beforehand actually speeds up the hiberfile write and read process, too...

Return to “General”