[SOLVED]Plex Media Server not working

KBD

[SOLVED]Plex Media Server not working

#1 Post by KBD »

This has worked great until the last Plex update. I updated within the Plex app itself on MX, and now when I launch it I get "No Connection". It has been launching with Firefox, so I tried making Chrome the default browser and no luck with that either. I also tried booting into systemd kernel, but it made no difference, still shows no connection and the Plex server is not showing up when I look on my Roku either. I do have a working Internet connection on the MX 18 server.
Appreciate any help with getting this working again. Thanks.

EDIT: Though I'm marking this solved I really have no idea what fixed it. I completely removed Plex using Synaptic, then tried to reinstall using MX Package Manager. During the install it stopped toward the end saying their was no default plexmediaserver file. I rebooted anyway and everything seems to be working now, Plex launches and shows up on my Roku. I'm also booting into the systemd kernel.
Last edited by KBD on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Plex Media Server not working

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

sounds like maybe the update removed the init script, although it should have work under systemd I would think.

check out the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=51744&hilit=plex+ ... er#p517488

there is a post no.4 with a new init script and a post 6 with some additional steps, plus post 9 with the plex defaults file.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 pm sounds like maybe the update removed the init script, although it should have work under systemd I would think.

check out the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=51744&hilit=plex+ ... er#p517488

there is a post no.4 with a new init script and a post 6 with some additional steps, plus post 9 with the plex defaults file.
Thanks dolphin! Will check it out.

KBD

#4 Post by KBD »

Here is my default file for plex

Code: Select all

# default script for Plex Media Server

# the number of plugins that can run at the same time
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6

# ulimit -s $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE=3000

# where the mediaserver should store the transcodes
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_TMPDIR=/tmp

# uncomment to set it to something else
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support"

# the user that PMS should run as, defaults to 'plex'
# note that if you change this you might need to move
# the Application Support directory to not lose your
# media library (match what is in /etc/passwd)
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=plex

# Uncomment this to use syslog for logging instead of
# sending logs to Plex Media Server.log
#export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USE_SYSLOG=true
Am I correct in thginking that: /var/lib/plexmediaserver

line is incorrect?
On another post you have it:

# export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="${HOME}/Library/Application Support"

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

I can get it to work doing the following:

Code: Select all

$ sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for viking:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for viking:
● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
viking@mx:~
$ service plexmediaserver start
viking@mx:~
$ sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver
● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2019-08-09 10:35:37 EDT; 33s ago
  Process: 3777 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DI
 Main PID: 3780 (sh)
    Tasks: 79 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service
           ├─3780 /bin/sh -c  PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_INFO_VENDOR="$(grep ^NAME= /etc/os-release | awk -F=
           ├─3791 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server
           ├─3807 Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.system] /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-2292
           ├─3860 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Tuner Service /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Tun
           ├─3868 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server
           └─3895 Plex Plug-in [com.plexapp.agents.imdb] /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins

Aug 09 10:35:37 mx systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server...
Aug 09 10:35:37 mx systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server.

And it works fine until I reboot, then nothing again unless I do all that above again in a terminal.
Is there a way to keep this server turned on, or to start the server at boot?

kb50

Re: [SOLVED]Plex Media Server not working

#6 Post by kb50 »

I have tried everything under the sun. Nothing works.
I cannot get it to even load at all.
Looks like MX-18 will need to look into why it just is no longer working in MX-Package installer.
I pretty much give up.

I also looked into Emby which was stated as an alternative to Plex. But it even does not install, although it does not exist in MX-Package Installer.
It will get removed now.

I hate to say it but it does work in Windows 10.
But my goal is to get it working in MX-18 and MX-19 when that updates itself.

One of the things I would like to see is to allow seeing the startup script while booting, so one can see the lines from plexmediaserver in the startup, and see that it loaded or where it failed.
How can one look at the startup log and see what error it might contain in terms of Plexmediaserver.
In older times you could see that and know it even attempted to install the server properly.

Can one just press ESC over the hidden startup while starting up?
Will that show you what is going on?

junoluna

#7 Post by junoluna »

kb50 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:48 am
But my goal is to get it working in MX-18 and MX-19 when that updates itself.

^

Hi

I have Plex working perfectly with MX 19 with the plex app from MXPI repos and it is is working 24/7 as a server for the family and some friends

It was only slightly more involved than getting it to work on windows ... the only trouble was getting plex to recognise the external hard drives my media lives on but was quite an easy fix.

with several people connecting to my host, it uses considerably less of my laptop resources than windows did

Probably you should do a new thread since this one is marked as solved ...
what do you mean when MX updates itself? I don't think it is ever going to do that

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

I had too many issues with Plex and MX.
I'm using vanilla Debian 10 with Xfce and it is working fine, no issues.
Keep in mind some of the bugs are due to Plex itself. They are constantly tweaking Plex and breaking things. About the only guarantee that you can keep a working system with Plex is to never update the software.

junoluna

#9 Post by junoluna »

KBD wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 pm They are constantly tweaking Plex and breaking things. About the only guarantee that you can keep a working system with Plex is to never update the software.
yes ... i have learned that

the plex forum is about the busiest forum i have ever seen and 98% of the posts are troubleshooting problems - OS agnostic too ...

it's a great app when it is up and running though .... i would struggle without it

KBD

#10 Post by KBD »

junoluna wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 pm yes ... i have learned that

the plex forum is about the busiest forum i have ever seen and 98% of the posts are troubleshooting problems - OS agnostic too ...

it's a great app when it is up and running though .... i would struggle without it
This summer they had a stupid update that hid the home menu options. It's definitely not intuitive on the browser anymore. One of the few pieces of software that literally gets worse with every update 9_9

Return to “Software / Configuration”