MX Linux Facebook group

seaken64

Re: MX Linux Facebook group

#21 Post by seaken64 »

chrispop99 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm A short time ago a Facebook group for MX Linux users was set up. There was some doubt as to whether it would get enough support to warrant it, but I'm pleased to say that today we welcomed out 2,000th member.

The group is very active, with multiple posts daily, and has members from all over the world.

Chris
How do I find this Facebook group? Do I need to sign up for Facebook? If I sign up for Facebook am I now in the public social media soup that will get spammed by other social media users or constantly dinged on my phone every time someone posts to the group?

What makes Facebook better than a forum? Why do some people not like the forum but prefer facebook?

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#22 Post by chrispop99 »

You need to be a Facebook member.
You need to search Facebook to find the group.
You need to make a group member request before you can post.
The amount of spam you get, and what notifications your phone gives you, are entirely under your control.

The answers to your last questions are subjective, but my take is that neither one is better or worse than the other. They are different things for different purposes, with some overlap.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#23 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Mom always told me to try something first before deciding if I would like it.
Not to take other peoples word.
Been working good so far.

I am facebook member before MX came on line in groups because of family and friend ties there.
Also belong to the antiX facebook group.
Totally back up what chrispop posted also.

Utopia
Administrator

#24 Post by Utopia »

public social media soup
You can lock it down completely, no Facebook spam and no friends. Only your name visible.
Takes some tweaking to turn of every possible way to contact you.
Henry

Jerry3904
Administrator

#25 Post by Jerry3904 »

To find it: just click on the icon on the top of the MX home page
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

seaken64

#26 Post by seaken64 »

Ok, thanks. I will check it out. But I still don't understand why a Facebook group is needed since we already have this nice forum.

Seaken64

Jerry3904
Administrator

#27 Post by Jerry3904 »

Not needed, wanted. Many people apparently don't like or even fear the Forum.

It's kind of interesting, actually. The Facebook site is a real bazaar, where the Forum is more of a cathedral.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#28 Post by JayM »

seaken64 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 am What makes Facebook better than a forum? Why do some people not like the forum but prefer facebook?
You'll have to ask them, and since they're in Facebook, not here, you'll have to ask your questions there. Prepare to be assimilated! :happy:
Last edited by JayM on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#29 Post by chrispop99 »

seaken64 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:32 pm Ok, thanks. I will check it out. But I still don't understand why a Facebook group is needed since we already have this nice forum.

Seaken64
There are probably multiple reasons why some users would rather use Facebook than a forum.

We are all different; some are confident, and will ask questions regardless of whether the question might be felt to be inappropriate or not, others won't. If you have very limited computer knowledge, and look at the issues dealt with here, you might feel intimidated, especially if you have seen how novice users are treated in some other technology forums.

Many of the users in our Facebook group don't have English as their first (or even second!) language. The 'Translate' feature of Facebook gives speakers of other languages a fair chance of helping out. In fact sometimes when a user as struggling to explain in fractured English, they are asked to post in their own language as 'Translate' makes a better job.

Although everyone here responds as well as could ever be expected, Facebook has more immediacy. The ration of problem solvers here to the number of members is lower than on Facebook, where most users seem prepared to at least try to help.

Facebook is very easy to use when compared to the Forum. Adding photos, video, and URLs is a much simpler process. It is also simpler to carry out administration.

There were some fears that Facebook would just become a duplicate of the forum, but in my opinion that hasn't happened. It won't be for everyone as there are a fair amount of posts that you just need to scroll by. Overall, I feel that it has helped some users that might have given up with MX Linux, or even Linux in general, whilst keeping some of the pressure from the team of problem-solvers here.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

seaken64

#30 Post by seaken64 »

Ok, fair enough. But I guess the flip side of this is that I will never see a post on Facebook unless I go looking for it. To me, that limits the number of eyes on the problem. And I did check out the Facebook page and while I understand what you are saying about it's ease of use I do not find Facebook easy to follow. I find it confusing and things are always popping up on the screen and there does not seem to be any structure for Topics. I can see the ease of placing pictures or videos. But overall I do not personally find Facebook easier than a good forum. As for replacing the forum, maybe that will happen one day. Everything changes. But I think that as long as there are a lot of old-timers using Linux we will keep the forum. Maybe we'll glance at Facebook once in a while. When the next generation takes over maybe it will all be on Facebook.

And what happens on Facebook if someone is rude or a troll? Are you saying that type of behavior is absent on Facebook? People stay away from forums because they don't want to be mistreated? I doubt that is the case in general. I would imagine they would stay away on Facebook too if they didn't like the way they were talked to (or typed to).

And can the developers be expected to support an unofficial user forum like Facebook? I can see a developer group choosing to support a Facebook page. But should they be EXPECTED to support both a forum and Facebook, and Twitter, Instagram, etc. etc. etc.? Is a distro going to lose favor if they don't officially support Facebook, or Twitter, or whatever? Maybe. I'm old, so I don't understand this obsession with all these social media outlets. But I sure wouldn't like it if I was told support is only available through Facebook. I would adjust. But I wouldn't like it, since I like the good old-fashioned Forum.

I also question the sanity of everything going on Facebook, or any corporate controlled social platform. It seems to me the community is better off staying away from potential manipulation of a corporate overlord. I like that I don't have to watch ads or toe the line to be here in this forum. I'm not so sure that can be preserved if everything goes to Facebook or the like.

Just my opinions. I can see your point of view. No worries.

Seaken64

Return to “General”