Is it just me?

brolly

Is it just me?

#1 Post by brolly »

I visited the debian forums to ask a simple question. They made me feel like i was spoiling an elitist convention. I have to say they were not as tolerant and as nice as you guys. Has anyone had that experience in the debian forum?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Is it just me?

#2 Post by JayM »

Oh, p**s off, newbie! :bouncing:

(Couldn't resist.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

turtlebay777

#3 Post by turtlebay777 »

I think it may be that as Debian is the basis for many distros including MX and Antix, they feel that general questions ought to be directed to the individual distro's forums rather than themselves. Also the main answerers in some forums - not here! - tend to frown on newbies, a fact I've noticed about the Mint forums recently.

brolly

#4 Post by brolly »

JayM wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 am Oh, p**s off, newbie! :bouncing:

(Couldn't resist.)
:clown: hahaha.Exactly. They might as well have said that.

brolly

#5 Post by brolly »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:10 am I think it may be that as Debian is the basis for many distros including MX and Antix, they feel that general questions ought to be directed to the individual distro's forums rather than themselves. Also the main answerers in some forums - not here! - tend to frown on newbies, a fact I've noticed about the Mint forums recently.
I get where you are coming from. The question was specifically for Debian not it's derivitives. I second your point about Mint forums.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by JayM »

It may be due to burn out on the part of the Debian devs and forum regulars, answering the same questions over and over if yours was one that had already been asked and answered. It's like any forum, search it first (and search the web for answers too) prior to posting and asking a question, and also provide enough information to help people to answer (a la Quick System Info in this forum.) It's just normal netiquette.

(OTOH it could be due to other things. Maybe the regulars there are unfriendly elitists. I don't know, I've never registered and posted there or even read their forum that much.)

Newbs often have the same complaint about many distros' support forums. IMO one of the things to look for when choosing a distro is how the forum treats its newbs. It pays to research.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Mod note: let us not bash other distro's Forums. That is not the purpose of these forums and does not provide help for MX. Thanks.

Topic closed.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “General”