What are your favorite sports to watch - and why

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
MAYBL8
MX Packager

Re: What are your favorite sports to watch - and why

#11 Post by MAYBL8 »

NFL Football.
I have subscription to NFL Redzone. Non stop action. No commercials.
I am in some Fantasy leagues so I keep up with the stats.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I love motorbike racing: World Superbikes, British Superbikes, the TT and especially MotoGP. I ride a motorbike for a living so it's good to get some tips :happy:
m_pav wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:36 am the horizon tipping over to 60 degrees when cornering
Did you see Marc Marquez at Sachsenring this weekend? 66° of lean at turn 3 :eek:
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

uncle mark

#13 Post by uncle mark »

I know it might be hard to believe, but for me it's IU football and basketball.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

jj1j1

#14 Post by jj1j1 »

When I quit drinking I would still to go to bars, drink cokes, and hang out. Watching folks get drunk, and act like fools while I was sober was eye opening. To me it seems the same when I'm around folks watching sports.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

m_pav
Developer

#15 Post by m_pav »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm Did you see Marc Marquez at Sachsenring this weekend? 66° of lean at turn 3 :eek:
No I didn't. That's mental and I love it. The town I live in used to have an annual Paeroa Battle of the Streets all-day Bike Race event and it was just so awesome, but the 20-year license expired and the new regulations made it just too expensive to re-apply. Talk about a real stinker.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

jackdanielsesq

#16 Post by jackdanielsesq »

5-day cricket ..... not

malspa

#17 Post by malspa »

Old Giza wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:27 am Watch less and less as time goes on.
Same here. I still follow sports quite a bit -- reading articles, checking standings and stats -- but I don't sit and watch nearly as much as I used to. And I don't like to pay to watch anything anymore.
Old Giza wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:27 amDo more listening on the radio than watch on TV because that seems like such a wasted commitment of time.
Yep. Or if I do have something on tv, I'm usually listening more than watching, or glancing over at the tube here and there.
uncle mark wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm I know it might be hard to believe, but for me it's IU football and basketball.
There you go! Well, I'm not really an IU fan, but I always like seeing your avatar, man! I grew up in Michigan, watching the Spartans, Wolverines, etc. I liked IU in hoop, when I wasn't hating them! These days, when it comes to Big Ten hoop and football, I'm more a fan of the game than a fan of any particular team, though. (That's really how it is for me now when it comes to all sports -- I like the competition, and I'm usually pulling for the underdogs instead of always pulling for a certain team. I love upsets!)

Anyway...

- The Olympics (just about any event), World Cup soccer, the Grand Slam tennis tournaments.
- The NBA, the WNBA, and college basketball -- mostly during the playoffs and the NCAA tournament.
- The NFL. And I'll look at some college football, but I don't bother watching bowl games anymore.
- I have a hard time sitting through MLB games on tv. Being at the ballpark is a lot more fun for me, but it's been a while since I've been able to attend any MLB games. And sometimes I like to kick back in the stands and watch high school baseball and softball.

asqwerth
Developer

#18 Post by asqwerth »

(non-American) Football.

Others that I do watch occasionally are badminton, tennis, rugby (well, 7-a-side at least), even golf.

Nothing where vehicles, humans or animals go round and round (or up and down) a track or circuit numerous times ad nauseam.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

LU344928

#19 Post by LU344928 »

jj1j1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm When I quit drinking
I once didn't drink for 14 years.

Then I turned 15.
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

LU344928

#20 Post by LU344928 »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 am 5-day cricket ..... not
Many decades ago it used to be longer, until a result was achieved, even if it took 10 or 11 days.

Hence, why did the English invent cricket?

Because they're not a particularly religious lot so the game of cricket gave them some idea of the concept of eternity.
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

Return to “General”