icwm configuration

leaf

icwm configuration

#1 Post by leaf »

I have been trying to configure icewm on mx Linux . I am trying to add the file manger to the bar and move the bar
from the bottom of the screen to the top

What I have done is edit the files in the /usr/shared/icewm directory and place them were it said to place them in the
files them selves( followed the instruction ) but no mater were I place these files they seemed to be
ignored . except for the key binding file which I placed it my home directory that works fine

how do I add the file manger to the bar ?

how do I move the bar to the top of the screen ?

Were do I put the configuration file so they will be read ?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: icwm configuration

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I suggest you take a look at Tweak in MX Tools.

As for adding things, right click that bar, panel, add new items.

Press Alt F1 to look these things up in the manual :)

Welcome to the forums!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

re "I edited /usr/share/icewm/*"
Really, we should not tamper with those (and) customized files in that path are subject to being silently overwritten during package upgrade operations. Given that the files have been tampered, I'll suggest a clean slate approach at this point ~~ "sudo apt purge icewm", then reinstall icewm. Copy any customized files elsewhere, for safekeeping/reuse, before performing the purge operation.

iceWM expects to find its config files residing in
~/.icewm/

FYI, the iceWM configuration (and theming) is well documented. See:
https://ice-wm.org/
or
man icewm
or
/usr/share/doc/icewm-common/html/icewm.html
/usr/share/doc/icewm-common/FAQ/index.html

leaf

#4 Post by leaf »

As to edwine you can right click on the bar you can not move the bar to the top this works with most other GUI I have seen but not with icewm

that is why I posted the question here

I have read the manual it say to do what I have been doing and it has not worked
that is why I posted here

1. as to skidoo it say not to tamper with them to change thing icewm claims it is very customization able I am just doing that as the manual and instruction in the file say to do
I got this from the MX repository and was looking for support here

in summary

the method stated here to move the bar to the top of the screen dose not work

and no way has been proffered to add the file manger to the bar the instruction in the manual do not seem to be working .

I read the instruction several times before posting here and looked on the internet as well

was hopping for some with experience with icewm it is in the mx repository

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

In Xfce the "bar" (it's called the "panel") is locked in position by default. You have to unlock it first, then you can drag it by one of its ends (handles.) Right-click, go to Panel then to Panel Preferences to unlock it. Lock it again to get rid of those handles (spaces) at the ends after you've moved it.

To add application shortcuts to the panel just right-click on their menu icons and select "add to panel". Then right-click on them in the panel, select "move" and drag them to where you want them.

I have no idea how to add apps to the icewm equivalent of Xfce's panel as I use an unmodified MX with the Xfce desktop environment and Xfwm window manager that it comes with. They do their jobs perfectly and I have no need to change them. If you're still using Xfce along with IceWM instead of Xfwm then the above instructions still apply. You didn't give any details regarding how you modified MX (using the Ice window manager instead of a desktop environment similar to antiX, or along with one) so I have no way of knowing what your setup is.

I highly recommend looking over the user manual. (alt F1) There's tons of information in there. Also spend some time exploring the operating system and desktop environment (Xfce), right-clicking on things to see what options are available, and also checking out all of the various MX tools to see what they do.

As far as icewm goes, if I were you I'd spend some time, several weeks at least, getting to know MX just the way it is, studying all available documentation for it, and searching the forum for particular topics you're curious about before attempting to customize or alter MX. It will be a lot easier to change MX to what you want it to be after you're very familiar with MX as it is, with less chance of breaking your OS. It's always best practice before planning and implementing any changes to document and understand where you are now so you can better figure out where you want to be and how to get there. This is true in business as well as in IT, and actually in most things in life.
Last edited by JayM on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

leaf

#6 Post by leaf »

The question is about icewm not xfce . it is in the mx repository . I am looking for support with icewm from your repository not xfce

what an attitude you have if you do not no icewm why post ?

you do not know the answer .

was icewm assembled in the deb package with theses configuration files enabled if you were to have read the icewm manual it say some distro aseble it diffrenly than others can you tell me how mx assembled it

unlike the people responding I have read the manual and spent much time with this I was expecting a thoughtful answer but I have not seen one .

very unfriendly here other must use icewm it is in the repository

I will give it a few days and if these are the only type of answer I can get well their is no support here really .

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

leaf wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:33 pm [...]
unlike the people responding I have read the manual and spent much time with this I was expecting a thoughtful answer but I have not seen one .

very unfriendly here other must use icewm it is in the repository

I will give it a few days and if these are the only type of answer I can get well their is no support here really .
So in order to insure you are not disappointed with my unfriendliness let me offer the following thoughts.

1. iceWM and xfce4 idle at about the same memory use on MX. I can skinny both down to about the same size assuming equivalent functionality (oh and I'm not great expert. :lipsrsealed: ) My observation (FWIW) there's no significant advantage to using iceWM on this base. The MX base is really beautifully built to support xfce.
2. If you really want to run an excellent version of iceWM, and stay within the MX/antiX family of distros) use antiX. iceWM is completely setup, fully functional and can be made beautiful. All manner of user instructions and help are there. Pretty much everyone on antiX use a wm (of one flavor or another).
3. If you want to play around with wms (I do), then the antiX base is the platform to use. MX is geared to a more medium sized Desktop, antiX is more targeted & built to being as they say: "Lean & mean".

If you care to read about all the research I have done and published look for my posts here and on antiX (also look for posts started or responded to by skidoo, oops, Koo, ppc and I apologize for not remembering others. These folks are all excellently knowledgeable on wms.) You may read my knowledgebase on what I learn and share here:

https://eirenicon.org/knowledge-base/

Ok now to close on a very friendly note... :hug: :eek:

Enjoy!
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Richard

#8 Post by Richard »

@leaf,
Calm down a bit and remember that IceWM is not in common use on MX.

Moving the taskbar up or down is easy, but I have to look it up. I have IceWM installed but not configured on this box but it is on my netbook with a weak battery.
** And the lights just went off... I'll post again if data plan on Android comes back, else I'll post after 2pm when lights should come back.
how do I add the file manger to the bar ?
/home/leaf/.icewm/prefernces

[how do I move the bar to the top of the screen ?

Were do I put the configuration file so they will be read ?
It is already here, /home/leaf/.icewm/prefernces
And there are a few more: menu, personal, menu-applications

antiX uses IceWM by default and has the config in their Control Center.

As skidoo mentioned, look in /home/leaf/.icewm for the config files.
He was just trying to warn you that editing /user/share/* files is not the recomenned way.
The icewm config files are in your home folder.

Be patient.
Confucius says, "Perseverance furthers."
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

leaf

#9 Post by leaf »

as to skidoo saying not to change the files in the /user/share/* directory this is were the example configuration files are . To have them acted on you needed to change them and copy them to

which I have done it say to do this in the files

but while the file for key binding worked fine the other files seemed to be ignored

When I was reading the manual it say that some distro assemble the program in a way were theses files are ignored so no changes are possible .

But in this instant the key binding file place in /home/leaf/.icewm/ worked just fine it is the other files that seemed to be ignored

so in mx linux can you change were the bar is by changes these files . I have changed the tool bar file and the preference file . But the changes have been ignored

are you tell me that you have changed these files the preference and the tool bar file placed them in your equivalent to /home/leaf/.icewm/ and the changes have not been ignored ?

gosia

#10 Post by gosia »

Code: Select all

TaskBarAtTop=1
then the following command

icewm --replace
or register again. This helps me.

icewm --directories