Planned Buster release 7-6-19

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Planned Buster release 7-6-19

#1 Post by KBD »

Stevo
Developer

Re: Planned Buster release 7-6-19

#2 Post by Stevo »

Hmmm--that's earlier than I thought it would be. We should probably get serious about populating the MX 19 repo.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

I've been using it on and off the past couple of months and it is already very solid. MX 19 will be awesome built upon it.

malspa

#4 Post by malspa »

I installed Buster (w/ Xfce) in late April. Looks great to me. I was guessing that the release would be here in June. I did another Buster installation last week. That 2nd one, I went with Openbox and Fluxbox, no DE. Thanks for the info, KBD!

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

malspa wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:31 pm I installed Buster (w/ Xfce) in late April. Looks great to me. I was guessing that the release would be here in June. I did another Buster installation last week. That 2nd one, I went with Openbox and Fluxbox, no DE. Thanks for the info, KBD!
No problem :)
I've done about 4 installs over the past couple of months and it has been impressive. I've done a couple of Xfce, at least one MATE, and last one was KDE--all worked well.

KoO

#6 Post by KoO »

I installed it on my main machine about 3 months ago and it has be my daily driver even since. It just works so well and still can't get over how stable it is even using non standard Debian kernels like Liquorix.
To me with Debian not wanting to update for long periods of time just to keep the system stable. This just shows me how far this company has come, now running sid and buster releases and stable for me at leased.

I can now see why antiX an MX use Debian for their base..
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

penguin

#7 Post by penguin »

Till now I have tried Debian 10, 2 times on Sparky Linux. Lastly on the last week. Not bad at all with some small issues. I will suggest a careful investigation. Do not be in worry to be on time.I see totally logically to be a little bit late on launching of MX 19, instead having a lot of small issues with different utilities that not working properly or not at all. Many complains you can have for the new XFCE configuration of right click or some not compatibilities between Thunar custom actions and XFCE menu. Also other minor problems

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've been using buster since the freeze and I've had trouble finding any bugs at all, it is an awesome system.

My favourite feature is the Secure Boot support:

Code: Select all

user@debian:~ $ mokutil --sb-state                                         
SecureBoot enabled
user@debian:~ $
Debian now sign their kernels & bootloaders with Microsoft's keys so the stock Secure Boot configuration just works™ :happy:

@Stevo: will MX 19 switch to Debian's kernels so that Secure Boot can be used?
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 am I've been using buster since the freeze and I've had trouble finding any bugs at all, it is an awesome system.

My favourite feature is the Secure Boot support:

Code: Select all

user@debian:~ $ mokutil --sb-state                                         
SecureBoot enabled
user@debian:~ $
Debian now sign their kernels & bootloaders with Microsoft's keys so the stock Secure Boot configuration just works™ :happy:

@Stevo: will MX 19 switch to Debian's kernels so that Secure Boot can be used?
I don't know at all if our installer supports the Secure Boot method used by Debian's. It wouldn't, if I had to make a guess.

MX 19 will also very probably be using a newer version of XFCE than Buster's, hopefully 4.14 final (4.1.4 pre1 is already in the MX 19 repo, thanks to Tim) so that will need testing. I know we will lose a few panel plugins that haven't been maintained for years.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Stevo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm I don't know at all if our installer supports the Secure Boot method used by Debian's.
It's the kernel image & bootloader that are signed so as long as MX installs using those packages then it should work.

I can install GRUB manually and it will still support SecureBoot.
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

Return to “General”