MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
skidoo

Re: MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

#91 Post by skidoo »

After adding/removing packaged programs and performing other customizations, you can visit
MX Tools }} RemasterCC }} MX Snapshot
to generate an ISO containing your customized O/S.

You can even create a snapshot from within a liveboot session (no need to install to disk beforehand).

manyroads

#92 Post by manyroads »

guido67 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:47 pm Hi manyroads,
I'm aware of that. :) Can I use your script to create my own personal iso?
Thanks
You are free to use anything I have posted. If you can't find the scripts, let me know and I'll provide them.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

guido67

#93 Post by guido67 »

Thanks skidoo and manyroads for the help.

peter_li

#94 Post by peter_li »

manyroads wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm Hello all.

Not having done this before in the MX-world, I am pleased to announce the "release" of MX18 Continuum (Minimal). :happy: I have completed everything I can think of to build a MX18 Minimal install image (iso).

For those of you who have not been following the forum discussion on the creation of a Minimal MX Install be advised, this is not a re-creation of antiX. This is truly a "minimalist version" of MX 18 Continuum.

This 'minimal' MX Linux 18 Continuum build is designed to provide you with the basic core of MX Continuum --minus-- all major applications, extra Conkies, icons and themes. The intent of this build is to provide you with a 'reasonably' clean MX base from which to build personal and/or shared MX Desktops. I am using this base both for my personal Desktop and to build a Children's Education Desk using MXLinux 18 as its base.

Should you decide that you would rather build this manually, from the regular MX19 install set, you certainly may. There are a few items, in addition to those in the script, you will need to remove via MXPI. They are enumerated below:

#################################
# Remove the following with MXPI:
# Numix (Icon & Window Themes)
# Faenza (Icon theme)
# Faenza-cupertino (Icon theme)
# Arc (Window Theme)

In addition to all the applications that have been removed, all Conky scripts, excepting those in MX-Default & MX-Elementary folders, have been removed.

If you wish to run my script and/or build a script of your own here is mine to edit as a basis for yours:

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get remove --purge aisleriot asunder chromium-bsu chromium-bsu-data clementine clipit dconf-editor dict fbreader featherpad feh firefox galculator
geany geany-common gimp gimp-data gmtp gnome-hearts gnome-mahjongg gnome-ppp gnome-schedule gscan2pdf gsmartcontrol gtkhash gtkhash-common guvcview* hexchat htop lbreakout2 lbreakout2-data libreoffice* lightning luckybackup luckybackup-data mc mc-data nomacs nomacs-l10n onboard onboard-common onboard-data orage pdfshuffler peg-e pppoeconf qpdfview* samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs simple-scan smtube swell-foop thunar-gtkhash thunderbird vlc xfce4-notes xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-taskmanager
#
sudo apt autoremove --purge

The download for the materials I created will be housed in my Dropbox folder for a while. Hopefully someone has a better place for these to reside; if so, please transfer them there and let me know so I can recover my space for additional Genealogy data!

Enjoy. :bagoverhead:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w0g0nzahapkx ... NbePa?dl=0
At first my congratulations that you have solved it to strip the image size down to 872MB.

But it was not so simple to find it. Please update the link from dropbox.com to archive.org.
Would it be possible to offer it at Sourceforge, too? So you can check how many downloads there are.
Would you check if it will be possible to upload it once a month or so, so there is not this annoying GPG-waning in Synaptic when update the package infos?

After the installation I did the updates.
But I have seen that only transmission is in the internet-group. No browser.
I also missed a editor.

So I had to install featherbird and midori to keep lightwight.

Now df shows:
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdc6 40054040 3440556 34549100 10% /

Thats really good I think.

But for which reasons you leave the following packages on the system:
transmission-gtk transmission-common

Synaptic shows these are the biggesst, which are at least questionable, I think:
libgl1-mesa-dri 151MB
openjdk-8-jre-headless 99,8MB
libllvm7 65,7MB
libwebkit2gtk 47,5MB
libqt5webkit5 39,0MB
mx17-artwork 34,6MB, there is mx18-artwork already
git 29,5MB
adwaita-icon-theme 29,1MB
libflite1 28,0MB
gcc-6 25,7MB
g++6 24,5MB
binutils 23,9MB
cpp-6 23,2MB
gnome-icon-theme 15,6MB

Are you a develper so that you need the developer packages?
I would remove them so that I have space for firefox so that I am able to view music videos on youtube.
DELL Latitude E6510 i5, 4 threads with Kernel 5.10, MX-21 Mate and Windows 10.
Deutsches Wiki: https://wiki.mxlinuxusers.de/wiki/Hauptseite unter Verwendung von MediaWiki

manyroads

#95 Post by manyroads »

Hallo Peter

No, I'm not a developer or anything important. ;) My recommendation is that you adjust my script(s) to meet your desires and run the altered script (modified as you chose) against the desired MX base. Should you encounter script problems, I am happy to help you with any script related issues, as I am able.

I have no intention of maintaining a minimal version of MX on archive or sourceforge or github. However, if you would like to do so feel free to 'fork my work'.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

peter_li

#96 Post by peter_li »

manyroads wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 am I have no intention of maintaining a minimal version of MX on archive or sourceforge or github. However, if you would like to do so feel free to 'fork my work'.
Hallo manyroads,

so at least correct the link to the iso which is no longer in your dropbox, please.
Deutsches Wiki: https://wiki.mxlinuxusers.de/wiki/Hauptseite unter Verwendung von MediaWiki

peter_li

#97 Post by peter_li »

I got the following notice:

Code: Select all

root@Monastir:~# apt-get remove --purge gcc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox-guest-utils : Depends: virtualbox-guest-dkms (= 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1) but it is not going to be installed or
                                   virtualbox-guest-source (= 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1) but it is not going to be installed or
                                   virtualbox-guest-modules
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
So I wonder what do I have to do with virtualbox?
Where i the relationship?

Is gcc not only used for developers? So save to uninstall?

manyroads

#98 Post by manyroads »

peter_li wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:41 am
manyroads wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 am I have no intention of maintaining a minimal version of MX on archive or sourceforge or github. However, if you would like to do so feel free to 'fork my work'.
Hallo manyroads,

so at least correct the link to the iso which is no longer in your dropbox, please.
The link is removed...
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#99 Post by manyroads »

peter_li wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 am I got the following notice:

Code: Select all

root@Monastir:~# apt-get remove --purge gcc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox-guest-utils : Depends: virtualbox-guest-dkms (= 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1) but it is not going to be installed or
                                   virtualbox-guest-source (= 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1) but it is not going to be installed or
                                   virtualbox-guest-modules
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
So I wonder what do I have to do with virtualbox?
Where i the relationship?

Is gcc not only used for developers? So save to uninstall?
I have no idea.
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Package Sharing”