Trying re-install xfce [Solved]

mkbdd

Trying re-install xfce [Solved]

#1 Post by mkbdd »

I get my xfce environment misbehave. The panel won’t load any apps and I can’t jump in to another apps. I have already renstalled the xfce4 package, but it seems not working. After I run the Inxi command I found out that it doesn’t have xfce, screenshot below. Any suggestion?

Code: Select all

[code]
System:    Host: Mx-Linux Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
          [b]Desktop: N/A[/b] Distro: MX-18.2_x64 Continuum March 14  2018 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K42Jc v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K42Jc v: 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends 
           v: K42Jc.216 date: 09/26/2011 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 100% condition: N/A model: N/A status: Unknown 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3 M 370 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem 
           rev: 5 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19153 
           Speed: 1463 MHz min/max: 933/2399 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1256 2: 1091 3: 943 
           4: 1084 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting,nouveau unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile v: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter 
           vendor: AzureWave AW-NE785 / AW-NE785H 802.11bgn driver: ath9k v: kernel port: d000 
           bus ID: 03:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: JMicron JMC250 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: jme 
           v: 1.0.8 port: 9000 bus ID: 07:00.5 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 51.26 GiB (17.2%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9320325AS size: 298.09 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 18.58 GiB used: 9.85 GiB (53.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: /home size: 271.74 GiB used: 41.40 GiB (15.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 46 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
Last edited by mkbdd on Fri May 24, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

figueroa

Re: Trying re-install xfce

#2 Post by figueroa »

Add another user. XFCE will probably behave fine. Learn as you go.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by JayM »

MX Tweak/Panel tab/Restore default panel might fix it.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

mkbdd

#4 Post by mkbdd »

Here are the feedback:
- I’ve restored the panel to default: Mx Tweak → Panel tab→ Restore default panel and it doesn’t solve the problem.
- I have added a new user. Let’s say user2 is my choice. User2 and it’s xfce is doing, very fine. But the problem is user2’s Home directory stay empty like nothing. Of course I still can access the user1 Home directory (where I store all my files) when I log in as user1 but the problem with its DE still exist right? I hope you get what I’m saying.

thank’s to figueroa & JayM by the way

Any other suggestion?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by JayM »

I have no idea what happened to your system but if your second user's home directory didn't get populated with the usual directory structure I would say your system is completely hosed. At this point I would suggest backing up all of your personal data files, redownloading the MX ISO being careful to check its md5 value to ensure that you have a good download, burning it to a USB, booting from it, checking data integrity again from the USB's boot screen to make sure the burn is OK, and reinstalling. If you didn't do anything to cause these problems then it sounds like either you installed from a bad download of the ISO or you have some hardware (RAM, maybe) that's going bad. If you still have problems after a reinstall, boot from the USB again and run memtest. It could also possibly be your USB stick starting to have problems, so you might try a different one than you used last time.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

mkbdd

#6 Post by mkbdd »

it sounds like a quite things to do, But It's fine I got your point.
Thank's for your help

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

It's possible that when you installed you forgot to tell it to mount /home in separate home partition that you created, so it mounted /home inside of root which is causing your root partition to be too full. That would explain why your second user's home directory didn't get populated with the directory structure and files from /etc/skel. If you reinstall and reuse your existing partitions take extra care where the root, swap and home partitions are specified in that screen of the installer. Otherwise everything except swap gets mounted inside of /.

Idea: check your /etc/fstab file, and post its contents here please. If /home is inside of / on sda1 it may be possible to change it to mount /home on sda3 instead, without having to reinstall. Your existing system may still be able to be recovered.

mkbdd

#8 Post by mkbdd »

I am not sure if I mounted my Home inside root partition while I install my compter. But yeah as you said it probably is.
I'll check that on Gparted also the flag parameter too.

Thank's Jay

figueroa

#9 Post by figueroa »

mkbdd wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm But the problem is user2’s Home directory stay empty like nothing. Of course I still can access the user1 Home directory (where I store all my files) when I log in as user1 but the problem with its DE still exist right? I hope you get what I’m saying.
Copy the files you want, but not the hidden files (those that begin with a .) from user1 to user2. When you are happy with the results, then you are done. Or, if you are really happy, then you can remove user1.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

mkbdd

#10 Post by mkbdd »

Copy the files you want, but not the hidden files (those that begin with a .) from user1 to user2. When you are happy with the results, then you are done. Or, if you are really happy, then you can remove user1.
Okay, How do I copy my file? is it possible to use cp or mv command?
I'm ok if I have to delete my user1 accocunt, is that don't have effect with all my app configuration setting?

Return to “General”