[SOLVED] native nordvpn app on MX linux

ludolph

[SOLVED] native nordvpn app on MX linux

#1 Post by ludolph »

I am using nordVPN as a good and reliable VPN services provider more than two years. Few months ago I completely switched from Linux Mint to MX Linux. I am using standard openVPN tools for access to nordVPN servers, but now I test native nordvpn app (see: https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivit ... -Linux.htm), which works on Linux Mint very well but on MX Linux 18.1 does not work at all.

After some experimentation I found the main reason: this app works well only with systemd!!!

1. Is there anybody, who is using this native nordVPN app on MX Linux 18 without systemd (as default boot option of MX Linux)?
2. Is possible in general run app like nordvpn without systemd?

I will be very happy for any help, because this CLI app is very user friendly.
Last edited by ludolph on Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: native nordvpn app on MX linux

#2 Post by JayM »

A quick Google (DuckDuckGo actually) shows that NordVPN can be connected to using the openvpn app, which is in the MX repos, if that helps.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

ludolph

#3 Post by ludolph »

JayM wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 am A quick Google (DuckDuckGo actually) shows that NordVPN can be connected to using the openvpn app, which is in the MX repos, if that helps.
Yes, of course, as I said in my post: I am using now openVPN app from MX repo!

But my question is more general. I would like to know if is possible, in principle, use application which works well with "systemd" without "systemd", because MX Linux does not use "systemd" as default service.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

Serves me right for not reading your post more carefully. :embarrassed:
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

fouigee

#5 Post by fouigee »

I got it running by doing this :

sudo update-rc.d nordvpn defaults
sudo reboot

ludolph

#6 Post by ludolph »

fouigee wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:55 am I got it running by doing this :

sudo update-rc.d nordvpn defaults
sudo reboot
Yes this solution looks like a good one. Thanks!

ludolph

Re: [UNSOLVED] native nordvpn app on MX linux

#7 Post by ludolph »

Yesterday was nordvpn app for Linux significantly upgraded from version 2.2 to version 3.0. The one of main change is cancellation of sysVinit support. So from now is supported only systemd. Of course is still possible to connect to nordVPN servers via openvpn or downgrade and lock to nordvpn app version 2.2 (the only solution for MX Linux users), but the latest nordvpn v3.0 app is far more better ... :frown:

I am afraid that this situation will be more and more frequent in the near future, because systemd is practically standard for all main Linux distributions. On the other hand I still agree that systemd is a bit problematic (basic assumption of MX developers), but ... Any opinion?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

it doesn't shock me. sysVinit scripts are harder to write than systemd service unit files.

However, usually there is just some service that needs started up. you can usually do this manually if you know the name of the executable for the service.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

ludolph

#9 Post by ludolph »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 am However, usually there is just some service that needs started up. you can usually do this manually if you know the name of the executable for the service.
Could you recommend me how to investigate this problem? Where are typically stored services or executable for systemd?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ludolph wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 am
dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 am However, usually there is just some service that needs started up. you can usually do this manually if you know the name of the executable for the service.
Could you recommend me how to investigate this problem? Where are typically stored services or executable for systemd?
usually in /lib/systemd/system. they can also be in /etc/systemd/system. they should have .service extensions. they will be simple text files, and there an execstart line and possibly an execstop line inside with the name and path of the executable
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Software / Configuration”