XFCE Default Look

dr_fsmo_

XFCE Default Look

#1 Post by dr_fsmo_ »

Is there a way to take the modiified MX XFCE interface and change it to the default uncustomized XFCE look before modded by MX? I am kinda stuck on the old familiar look of the stock XFCE Desktop.

figueroa

Re: XFCE Default Look

#2 Post by figueroa »

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Most of the developer's choices for the XFCE desktop are quite excellent. It's obvious that the developers have different preferences for look and feel than I like, but all such things are only a click away.

Everything is configurable and very easy to change. Open the XFCE menu, and select the All Settings button next to the screen lock button. Work is small steps so you can easily reverse the changes you have made. It may be useful to create a throw away user so you can log in as that user and play around with various settings, then apply the settings selectively to your main user after you have gained some expertise.

I suggest in the Window Manager settings, pick the Daloa style. This will immediate give you nice looking windows. That's almost the only change that's necessary to suit my tastes. On my desktop computer I like the panel on the top which is also an easy setting to change.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

I'm assuming you are referring to the stock debian xfce look.

In MX Tools >> Tweaks >> Appearance:
Style/gtk theme tab: change from greybird-mx17 to greybird [the MX modification added theming to the panel and whisker menu]
Icons tab: I think the default xfce icons were either gnome or tango, but I'm not sure

Tweaks >> Window Manager
Change the WM theme (for the window bar) from Arc-dark to greybird.

Tweaks >> you can change Panel orientation to horizontal, top. Do a backup (from Tweak) of the current panel first, just in case.

If you really like the default xfce look so much, you could also right click on the panel and in "Preferences" remove the Whisker menu and change back to the very old-school menu.

And for the stock xfce light-blue mouse wallpaper, you can find it in /usr/share/backgrounds/xfce , I think.

If you decide that the bare bones look is really too sparse, it's not difficult to change it to whatever you want thereafter.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

I would simply say... yes you can make Xfce look like almost anything you want. As Jean-Luc Picard always said: "Make it so..." Look at the MX18 Screenshots for ideas. If, like me, you prefer a different from standard layout; it is easy to do.
Screenshot_2019-04-16_07-10-27.jpg
Here's a basic article describing how-to tweak the Xfce4 Desktop (DE).
https://www.lifewire.com/customize-xfce ... nt-2202080
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

Xfce is awesome as far as customizing, but because I use it on small screens the default look works well for me. If I used a large monitor I'd probably want something like manyroads screenshot.
Interesting how different tastes go, in Debian the default Xfce looks sort of horrible to me, so I set about changing it right away.

dr_fsmo_

#6 Post by dr_fsmo_ »

I will try the MX XFCE for a while and see how I like it. So far I am enjoying the distro.

BitJam
Developer

#7 Post by BitJam »

dr_fsmo_ wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 pm I will try the MX XFCE for a while and see how I like it. So far I am enjoying the distro.
Excellent! Welcome! I hope you will be able to configure MX to suit your needs and make it comfortable for yourself.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

malspa

#8 Post by malspa »

I actually prefer to start off with the "stock" Xfce (and by that, of course, I mean like what Debian gives you). Doesn't matter much, though, because either way, I'm gonna change everything up, first thing. That's why I never get too caught up in the default appearance that devs decide to go with. So I probably wouldn't bother to tweak MX to look like that unless it was a simple, one-step procedure, or maybe a choice at the time of installation.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”