Bedrock

Jerry3904
Administrator

Bedrock

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

Just read Jesse Smith's review of Bedrock Linux:

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 15#bedrock

It sounds pretty wild--has anybody tried it? At the end, Jesse talks specifically about using it with MX Linux. He ran into problems but, after discussing those with the developer, concludes:
We found the login and permission issues were due to some missing directories the login process was looking for under the /run directory and my connection problems were mostly tied to /etc/resolv.conf not being linked to a file containing DNS information. There are still a few minor issues to sort out, such as not being able to reboot the computer from within the desktop environment, and he recommended not running Bedrock with MX Linux in a production environment until this problem is resolved. However, personally, with my main two problems sorted out, I found I was able to use my hybrid MX/Bedrock/Void system fairly well and it sounds as though the remaining issues with MX and other (SysV init distributions) will probably be resolved in the next release of Bedrock.
I can imagine wasting some quality time on this some rainy day in the future!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

BitJam
Developer

Re: Bedrock

#3 Post by BitJam »

I've read about Bedrock before. Some of the tricks they use are similar to the tricks we use to make an installed system look like a live system for snapshot (and a live system look like a virgin live system for live-remaster). I don't know of any other distros that use these tricks but they might exist. I was considering suggesting doing this to try to support sysVinit and systemd on the same system but I thought it might be a bit too wacky/unstable.

It is an extremely cool thing but IMO for practical purposes you are better off with virtual machines or the chroot rescue system so you don't mix apples with oranges. I've been testing it a lot by chrooting into mounted linuxfs files from mounted iso files (using isomount to do the mounting). I think we could even run mounted iso files live with static root persistence. It would be a cool trick but I don't know how much demand there would be for it. You could also use this to chroot into a linux system on another partition and save all of your changes in a static root persistence file. This approach could have some advantages over what Bedrock is doing.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

manyroads

Re: Bedrock

#4 Post by manyroads »

I saw that article, and was curious as well. :needcoffee:

Reading around the site hurt my head. :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”