MX 18 for photographers

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
betazoid

MX 18 for photographers

#1 Post by betazoid »

Hi,

I have created a modified Version of MX Linux for photographers. It includes more or less all the important open source photo apps: Rawtherapee, darktable, GIMP, Krita, Digikam, Displaycal, Argyll, Hugin, G’mic and 2 desktop environments (XFCE and Gnome). I have tried to choose versions of the apps that are as new as possible - this was not always easy since MX is based on Debian. As the official version 5.5 of Rawtherapee has one or two bugs, I have included one of the newest bugfixed development versions as Appimage - it is in the folder /home/demo/Downloads. Unfortunately, Digikam is not the newest version because the new version form the “testing” repo does not work. I know, I could have chosen the flatpak but I will do that in one of the next releases. So far I only had time for this.
With MX Linux, it is really easy to create respins, however, it is still a bit of work.
I modified the appearance of XFCE a bit and included some new wallpapers. Modifying the default appearance of Gnome is a bit more complicated, so that was also left for future releases.
I also plan to add more wallpapers, especially wallpapers in AdobeRGB and for 4/5-K-screens. For now they are only in sRGB.
I guess the next step would be removing XFCE and Evolution. Maybe there will also be versions with Cinnamon and Budgie.
I have created the ISO on a laptop with Intel i5 processor. I have not really tested it thoroughly - only launched the system in Vmware. It started both in UEFI and BIOS mode.

You can download it here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... b2dpefWXbg. Unfortunately I had to split up the ISO since my internet connection is not so fast.

What do you think?

I would be grateful for tips concerning the hosting of large files because I do not have much space left on Google drive.

Regards from Vienna

b

Be OK

Re: MX 18 for photographers

#2 Post by Be OK »

Nice idea ,maybe you can use https://mega.nz next to google ?
Make me wonder if you tweaked some things or its possible to install separate parts ?
I am not so into pictures any more, as old grumpy i can`t work with that lcd screen :)
I love rotary buttons.Must confess that i do have a modern one bit old now :)
Canon powershot g2, got that because it could do raw.

betazoid

#3 Post by betazoid »

If I understand you correctly: I did not "tweak" anything - you need all 8 parts of the archive to access the ISO.
What do you mean by rotary buttons? Cameras with rotary buttons?

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Archive.org will host Linux ISOs without fuss, allows direct downloads from the link, and also creates and maintains a torrent for your file. I seriously can't think of why anyone would go anywhere else, unless you want to sell ads on your download page and annoy the downloader.

Upload some screenshot jpgs with your ISO if you want the site to automatically create a slideshow, too.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Do you know where I can find the patches for Rawtherapee 5.5, or should I build from a git pull to get them?

galaxysurfer

#7 Post by galaxysurfer »

Thanks for your efforts! I will be checking this out as I venture into the visual creation end of things for my website.

Return to “MX Modified”