MX-18 beta 1 feedback

caprea

Re: MX-18 beta 1 feedback

#201 Post by caprea »

Paul.. wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Code: Select all

I'm using the 4.15.5-antix.1-amd64-smp and I checked CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y
If the Typical Current Idle works the way its supposed to do, a rcu_nocbs-parameter should not be necessary.

paulfsams

#202 Post by paulfsams »

@richb Thank you richb. I know just enough to be dangerous.

richb
Administrator

#203 Post by richb »

paulfsams wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm @richb Thank you richb. I know just enough to be dangerous.
Don't worry I am in the same boat.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

entropyfoe

MX18 Beta1 MXPI

#204 Post by entropyfoe »

I am trying to install the 4.19.4-antix.1-amd64-smp kernel with the MX Package installer.
This may be useful as it was the 4.15 antix kernel that was stable. I think as caprea wrote, the antix kernels have another rcu parameter set so the rcu_nocbs=0-11 fix for Ryzen crashing. There may also be some new BIOS fixes that Paul is testing that may make the parameter un-necessary. Though reading on AMD boards, some report that it is still necessary. I think it is way too complex, and may depend on the motherboard, the BIOS, the kernel, and on maybe even the power supply !

But it hangs up with this message

Hit:1 http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo mx18 InRelease
Hit:2 http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo stretch InRelease
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease [91.0 kB]
Ign:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch Release
Hit:7 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Err:8 http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch stretch InRelease
  Could not connect to iso.mxrepo.com:80 (168.235.87.212), connection timed out [IP: 168.235.87.212 80]
Fetched 91.0 kB in 4min 0s (378 B/s)
Reading package lists...
W: Failed to fetch http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch/dists/stretch/InRelease  Could not connect to iso.mxrepo.com:80 (168.235.87.212), connection timed out [IP: 168.235.87.212 80]
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  ecryptfs-utils libecryptfs1 libtspi1
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-headers-4.19.4-antix.1-amd64-smp linux-image-4.19.4-antix.1-amd64-smp
:
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

freefreeno

#205 Post by freefreeno »

Nomacs image viewer stopped following system theme in my system sometime between yesterday and today. I'm Mx18b1

skidoo

#206 Post by skidoo »

The MX Welcome window cannot be minimized. Okay, but... after closing it, a brand new user would need to hunt for it.
If a desktop icon for it isn't amenable, please at least consider listing it among the WhiskerMenu "favorites".

Quick access to MX User Manual is a standout feature. IIRC, what tripped me up while wearing my "noob user" tester hat:
When MXUM is launched from the welcome dialog, the welcome dialog autohides (and no taskbar item for it).
Please consider using nohup or disown in the Welcome--}MXUM launchstring, as well as for a select few other launchers presented within the Welcome dialog.

The panel icon contains a paperclip icon. No mouseover "hint" is provided for that item (suggest adding hint text).
Left click on paperclip icon does nothing. Upon right click, we discover it is the "clipit" clipboard manager utility.
While attempting to check whether the pre-assigned clipit "Hot Key" keybinds conflict with the predefined firefox shortcut keybinds, I discovered a clipit bug.
-=-
When the clipit preferences window is open (but not necessarily focused), pressing Ctrl+Alt+h causes clipit to hang // becomes unresponsive & must be killed.
Launched from commandline, we can note the details of the "gtk:Critical" error. I reckon this is something that must be fixed by the upstream maintainer.
-=-
Separately, upon entering a fresh session, I noted that htop indicates THREE clipit processes are running.
After "killall clipit" and launching from commandline, yep, three clipit processes (hmm, or are they just multiple "threads" of one precess?)

noticed: Volume Label of the LiveUSB is "antiXlive". Maybe you'll want to replace that with "MXlive"?

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#207 Post by chrispop99 »

skidoo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 am The panel icon contains a paperclip icon. No mouseover "hint" is provided for that item (suggest adding hint text).
Left click on paperclip icon does nothing. Upon right click, we discover it is the "clipit" clipboard manager utility.
While attempting to check whether the pre-assigned clipit "Hot Key" keybinds conflict with the predefined firefox shortcut keybinds, I discovered a clipit bug.
-=-
When the clipit preferences window is open (but not necessarily focused), pressing Ctrl+Alt+h causes clipit to hang // becomes unresponsive & must be killed.
Launched from commandline, we can note the details of the "gtk:Critical" error. I reckon this is something that must be fixed by the upstream maintainer.
(Checked on 2xMX-18 installs.)

Both L-click and R-click do exactly the same thing here - open the ClipIt dialogue. That's not new behaviour; ClipIt has always been like that.

With ClipIt Preferences open, Ctrl-Alt-h just flashes the currently open tab. It performs normally afterwards, with no need to kill it.

I agree a tool-tip would be a useful addition.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#208 Post by chrispop99 »

skidoo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 am Separately, upon entering a fresh session, I noted that htop indicates THREE clipit processes are running.
After "killall clipit" and launching from commandline, yep, three clipit processes (hmm, or are they just multiple "threads" of one precess?)
htop here only shows one instance of ClipIt on boot. If I launch it from the terminal, it starts with a message about the Ctrl-Alt-H keybinding failing. A second instance starts, as shown by two icons on the panel. htop then shows two running instances. That is expected behaviour.

Not sure what is going on with your install, but it's not happening here.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Paul..

#209 Post by Paul.. »

caprea wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 pm
Paul.. wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm using the 4.15.5-antix.1-amd64-smp and I checked CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU=y
If the Typical Current Idle works the way its supposed to do, a rcu_nocbs-parameter should not be necessary.
Ran all night with no problems using: Typical Current Idle + rcu_nocbs + 4.15.5-antix.1-amd64-smp

Will remove rcu_nocbs today and see...

Thanks caprea!!

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

Gerson

#210 Post by Gerson »

How can I place a screensaver? The option does not appear and neither Grub-customizer.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Return to “General”