MX18-LMDE Respin

For issues with MX that has been modified from the initial install. Example: adding packages that then cause issues.
dphn

MX18-LMDE Respin

#1 Post by dphn »

Hi there,

my creation is now finished. I'm a german guy but I try to describe it in english in the right thread for this.

The system is a completly new build based on antiX 17.2.1 (Helen Keller). It provides different software packages than original MX-17. No games, but more multimedia apps. You find audacity, handbrake, avidemux, devede, dvd95, easymp3gain (thx to MX-Team for mp3gain), kid3-qt, mediathekview, qmmp and vlc. An interesting CD burning application also included. It's called X-CD-Roast and works with mkisofs and cdrecord. For CD-Ripping you can use the fantastic command-line tool abcde. You must configure it, but it works like a charm. So, the burning application and abcde not for purely beginners.

In this respin, deb-multimedia is activated by default, the system is build with it. Also included LMDE3 Repo from Linux Mint. I'm using their icons and the mint-y-theme by default but it's no clone. A little bit "mint-like", but I have created a different xfce-configuration. Original MX-17 Layout also included when you login with the root account.

The respin comes with no libreoffice and gimp pre-installed. But you can easily do a post-install for this offline. LibreOffice 6 (Packages from Debian-Backports) and GIMP 2.10 (Packages from MX-Testrepo). One-Click Install for both programs, very completly with english and german help and language files. After the installation or when you don't like it you can per One-Click easily remove the install-files.

So, a hard work goes to the end. Have tested this and the MX-Installer in my respin crashes from time to time after the copy of the system files to the HD/SSD. When I open a terminal and start the installer with sudo -E minstall it works without a crash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dphn on Thu May 02, 2019 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX17-LMDE Respin

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

I like the name!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dphn

#3 Post by dphn »

thx, Jerry.

changed this in the whole system. boot-sequences, themes, lsb-release and so on.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Much appreciated
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

I've found that if you upload them to archive.org, one ISO per upload, it'll also automatically create a torrent download for your files. You can also include a screenshot jpg with your files so that appears as a preview, like so:

https://archive.org/details/MX18b1X64

dphn

#6 Post by dphn »

thx for this stevo. Will look at that.

Note for GIMP 2.10 with deb-multimedia-repo:

deb-multimedia install a dmo-version of libbabl-0.1-0 via update. GIMP runs only with the MX-Version of that package. (0.58) You must set

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold libbabl-0.1-0
before updating.

dphn

#7 Post by dphn »

New ISO uploaded. qt5-gtk-platformtheme is installed, I have forgotten it in the 1st Release. So the qt5-apps and the MX-Tools looking better. A few more audio-codecs for XFCA-Converter and (of course) the new MX-Tool MX-Boot-Options now included. System ist up-to-date. Build-Date 2018-12-07

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

I have GOT to take a look!

sivaraj

#9 Post by sivaraj »

Just checked the MX17-LMDE-respin in USB live mode
LMDE mint Theme looks good and nice work.
I liked the Synaptic graphical fast repository selector and editor tool from mint. It has better features than Mx Repo Manager tool

Noticed the Tunar file manager is without menu bar by default.
Of course Control + M can show it.But better show by default .

I feel Menu layout of MX17 is better.

Is there a script or procedure to install this theme directly into mx17 or 18.

dphn

#10 Post by dphn »

Hi,

thx for replies.

The original layout is also included. Login with the root account, here ist the original configuration. So, you can put roots .config/xfce4 folder to normal users or in /etc/skel. Last one stores the default layout for all new users. Note: user-profiles in the /home folder must be owned by the users, not root. So you must set chown -R username:username for the userprofiles you have changed.

A restart gives you the original MX17 layout on my release. So you can modify /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf with the original background. This is located in /usr/share/backgrounds/MXLinux/lightdm/MX-Gold

New ISO online (2018-12-09). Better offline-install for libreoffice and gimp. After the software-install the packages deleted automatically. gimp-install sets automatically the libbabl 0.1-0 package to hold after the installation. New package included: libcanberra-gtk3-modules.

That's it for MX17-LMDE I think. Hope you enjoy it.

Return to “MX Modified”