Ad blocking extension

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
wulf

Ad blocking extension

#1 Post by wulf »

I stumbled upon this a couple of weeks ago > Incognito Adblocker > Firefox extension. I downloaded and ran it, and my first thoughts were that this was uBlock Origin with a different gui. I went to the website half expecting it to be a gorhill project that I'd missed the news about, but it was not. I read the reviews for it yesterday, and an anonymous commentator had ripped into the developers in a lengthy post implying that the extension is a "skinned copy" of uBO...I think I'm inclined to agree..

Stevo
Developer

Re: Ad blocking extension

#2 Post by Stevo »

wulf wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm I stumbled upon this a couple of weeks ago > Incognito Adblocker > Firefox extension. I downloaded and ran it, and my first thoughts were that this was uBlock Origin with a different gui. I went to the website half expecting it to be a gorhill project that I'd missed the news about, but it was not. I read the reviews for it yesterday, and an anonymous commentator had ripped into the developers in a lengthy post implying that the extension is a "skinned copy" of uBO...I think I'm inclined to agree..
If it's open source like uBO, that should easy to determine. If it's not open, that's a strike against it.

Redacted

#3 Post by Redacted »

FWIW, in a lengthy response by the developer (in the reviews section), he says
Incognito Adblocker's source code is open source...

wulf

#4 Post by wulf »

Stevo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:05 pm
wulf wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm I stumbled upon this a couple of weeks ago > Incognito Adblocker > Firefox extension. I downloaded and ran it, and my first thoughts were that this was uBlock Origin with a different gui. I went to the website half expecting it to be a gorhill project that I'd missed the news about, but it was not. I read the reviews for it yesterday, and an anonymous commentator had ripped into the developers in a lengthy post implying that the extension is a "skinned copy" of uBO...I think I'm inclined to agree..
If it's open source like uBO, that should easy to determine. If it's not open, that's a strike against it.
Yup, it is open source, and I don't dispute the claim of the devs to make a uBO with a more friendly user panel, but at the same time, I can appreciate what the reviewer is complaining about. I guess it comes down to a matter of personal opinion and how many degrees of separation constitute one product being different from another..

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

I am confused. If it is open source what is the issue of adapting the code to put a gui wrap around it?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

wulf

#6 Post by wulf »

richb wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:36 pm I am confused. If it is open source what is the issue of adapting the code to put a gui wrap around it?
Well, technically, none I suppose rich. Under the licence, they are entitled to create what they have made. Installing and running it was an interesting experiment for me, but I'll be sticking with uBO.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by ChrisUK »

Although I see no problem with the program (Open Source etc), I also see no need for it... uBlock Origin has a default easy mode, and a more advanced mode (I'm guessing many of us long-term users use the advanced mode). Then again, I guess "pretty colours and icons" are good for new users.

Don't forget that Antix Advert Block (advert-block-antix) does a pretty good job without adding extensions to Browsers - and the hosts file is system-wide, not limited to the Browser.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “General”