New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
oops

Re: New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

#21 Post by oops »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm
oops wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm FI:
I have an issue when I went to go to the flatpak tab via sudo by the mx-packageinstaller item:

Code: Select all

gksudo mx-packageinstaller &
If this hasn't changed you shall start it such from the command line:

su-to-root -X -c mx-packageinstaller
there might be other alternatives from the command line. But the one you used is not recommended.
Thank you fehlix, but it's too late ;-) ... I have tried to delete all repo via:

flatpak remote-delete flathub
flatpak remote-delete gnome-apps
flatpak remote-delete kdeapps
... to test your commande line, but the flathub repo. remains.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

fehlix
Developer

#22 Post by fehlix »

oops wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:16 pm ... to test your commande line, but the flathub repo. remains.
Not sure what you are going to achieve...
flathub repo is the default flatpak repo of MXPI and shall be stay enabled.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops

#23 Post by oops »

@fehlix
Anyway, I will try in the future to use your "su-to-root -X -c ..." instead the not recommended one "gksudo ..." (my old practice into Ubuntu). Thanks for that.

Edit: For only 2 app installed (~32Mib) ... flatpak needs a big part of HDD (2.8GiB).

ncdu /var/lib/flatpak
--- /var/lib/flatpak ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         /..                                                                                            
    1,4 GiB [##########] /repo
    1,4 GiB [######### ] /runtime
   31,8 MiB [          ] /app
  160,0 KiB [          ] /exports
    0,0   B [          ]  .changed

ncdu 1.12 ~ Use the arrow keys to navigate, press ? for help                                                            
--- /var/lib/flatpak/app -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         /..                                                                                            
   30,2 MiB [##########] /org.gnome.Lollypop
    1,6 MiB [          ] /org.kde.kompare
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#24 Post by asqwerth »

I thought gksudo has been deprecated?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#25 Post by asqwerth »

oops wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm FI:
I have an issue when I went to go to the flatpak tab via sudo by the mx-packageinstaller item:

gksudo mx-packageinstaller &
... To access to the flatpak tab i have to enter an other time the sudo password. (two times is one time too much)...

Was that just the first time you opened MXPI after the new update with flatpak functionality?

As I understand it, the first time you click on the new flatpaks tab, flathub is installed as a remote automatically. Because it's being done on a system-wide basis, root privilege is needed, which is why there was that second request for password. Once done that very first time to add flathub remote, there will be no more requirement for root password when you visit that tab, UNLESS you go to advanced options and add another remote of your choice on a system-wide basis.

If you look at the flatpaks tab, in the advanced options view, there is an option to choose system-wide or per-user installation of remote.

The rest of flatpak usage can be done in user mode instead of root (which you can tell from using the command line), so even though MXPI itself is opened with root password or sudo, the flatpaks tab does various tasks as user except things like remote addition.

I think during testing when certain flatpak tasks were done in root when not required, it led to strange results.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

Adrian
Developer

#26 Post by Adrian »

asqwerth is correct, we had problems when we tried to run flatpak as root, we run flatpak as normal user but flatpak will require elevation when doing some stuff so it will request root password for that, I would not run flatpak as root directly because that's not how it's supposed to be run. Unfortunately I don't see a way around this.

asqwerth
Developer

#27 Post by asqwerth »

oops wrote:For only 2 app installed (~32Mib) ... flatpak needs a big part of HDD (2.8GiB).
@oops,

One last thing re: Lollypop, it is available in MX17 (either Stable or MX Test Repo) so there is no need to install lollypop as a flatpak in MX17, except as a test.

I made the package request quite some time ago, and there was no problem packaging it for Debian Stretch.

I only use lollypop as a flatpak in Debian Jessie (MX15/16) because it can't be backported so far back. Of course, the current flatpak version is the gnome 3.28 one, so my version of lollypop in MX15/16 is actually newer than the version Stevo compiled for MX17. But I actually prefer the older version, since like I said, in the newer versions the developer began hiding some music options, like internet radio, "play random album", etc. and you have to right click to make them visible again.

In Adrian's thread asking for testers to try the MXPI prototype:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=46322

he did give a warning about the size of a runtime when you install flatpak apps for the first time.

That is of course one of the disadvantages of flatpak, which is why it is still best to check first to see if a package can be backported by the Packaging Team.

oops

#28 Post by oops »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:40 pm ...
Was that just the first time you opened MXPI after the new update with flatpak functionality?
Yes asqwerth (occurs only the first time).
One last thing re: Lollypop, it is available in MX17 (either Stable or MX Test Repo) so there is no need to install lollypop as a flatpak in MX17, except as a test.
... I have seen that, it was only for a test.

PS: After cleaning installed app and installed runtimes into the Flatpaks tab, I have:
* with these 3 repositories.

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists gnome-apps https://sdk.gnome.org/gnome-apps.flatpakrepo
flatpak remote-add kdeapps --if-not-exists https://distribute.kde.org/kdeapps.flatpakrepo

ncdu 1.12 ~ Use the arrow keys to navigate, press ? for help                                                            
--- /var/lib/flatpak ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   10,6 MiB [##########] /repo                                                                                          
  112,0 KiB [          ] /exports
e   4,0 KiB [          ] /runtime
e   4,0 KiB [          ] /app
e   4,0 KiB [          ] /.removed
    0,0   B [          ]  .changed

oops

#29 Post by oops »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:16 pm I thought gksudo has been deprecated?
I do not know.
I have seen in some forums than pkexec must be now used ? ... but fehlix recommendation's is to use: " su-to-root -X -c ..." instead, so ?

oops

#30 Post by oops »

In Adrian's thread asking for testers to try the MXPI prototype:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=46322
...@asqwerth PS: tried but: Information: You are not authorised to read this forum.

Return to “Documentation and videos”