New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

Topics relating to MX Docs and MX Videos
oops

Re: New features in MX Package Installer (Now with flatpaks)

#11 Post by oops »

@asqwerth ... You are right, the both have some advantages and inconveniences, and sometime, users do not want to go to the latest version automatically ex: a LibreOffice new version .The latest is not always the better because it needs some extra learning/skilling.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

dreamer

#12 Post by dreamer »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 am Snap = systemd needed.

Appimage is not 100% compatible outside of the distro base the Appimage was created on. [ADDED: based on what dolphin has said and also from the experience of testing dolphin's appimage for LUM)
The compatibility likely depends on how many files that are bundled. The official LO AppImages state broader compatibility than any other Linux app (of similar size).

I'm in the AppImage camp, but realize that corporate backing is behind flatpak. It's a meaningless discussion - much like discussing QT vs GTK - because we can have both. I think it's great that flatpak has been added to MXPI. Well done!

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

dreamer wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:13 am ... It's a meaningless discussion - much like discussing QT vs GTK - because we can have both....
Indeed.

My MX15/16 installs have Libreoffice 6 and krita appimages, and Lollypop flatpak (my favourite music player just for the simplicity and UI, although Clementine is also a great and very comprehensive player).
oops wrote:...sometime, users do not want to go to the latest version automatically ex: a LibreOffice new version .
Haha, until the recent testing of the flatpak manager in MXPI, I hadn't updated my Lollypop flatpak in ages, and I couldn't be bothered to download a newer LO 6 appimage for the longest time!

I did try download a new krita appimage fairly recently, and found it no longer worked on MX15/16. That's another reason I don't think appimages are that universal. Like dreamer said, it depends on how many files and dependencies the appimage dev squeezes into the appimage.

The newest krita (ver 4) had some dependencies that were not included but that MX15/16 needed. I don't actually need or want the newest version; I was just testing some things, and discovered that fact.

The older one on my system (ver 3+) works fine.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

oops

#14 Post by oops »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 am...
Do not worry, flatpak is a nice tool too (both are great).
An other advantage of appimage is than it is a only one file (easy to save and/or use with an usb-key to an other computer)
PS: I am going to trying Lollypop ...
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#15 Post by asqwerth »

oops wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 pm...
PS: I am going to trying Lollypop ...
If you are trying the flatpak version, don't forget to right-click on the list of music sources/options in the top left corner. Newer versions annoyingly started to hide some of the options, e.g. internet radio.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

KBD

#16 Post by KBD »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:11 pm On another note, the MXPI has become such an awesome installer!

I love that you can flip back and forth between so many different Repos to search for apps so quickly.

So kudos and thanks to Adrian and all the other devs who worked on the coding!
I've become a fan of MXPI. It makes doing a fresh install much easier than about any other dostro.

Adrian
Developer

#17 Post by Adrian »

KBD wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 pm
asqwerth wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:11 pm On another note, the MXPI has become such an awesome installer!

I love that you can flip back and forth between so many different Repos to search for apps so quickly.

So kudos and thanks to Adrian and all the other devs who worked on the coding!
I've become a fan of MXPI. It makes doing a fresh install much easier than about any other dostro.
I was thinking that it would be nice to create a "save custom installed packages" listing, basically a .pm file that would list all the packages installed since the MX installation and list that as an entry in Popular Apps tab. That would make reinstalling so much easier. D_O, what do you think?

KBD

#18 Post by KBD »

Adrian, that sounds good to me :)

oops

#19 Post by oops »

FI:
I have an issue when I went to go to the flatpak tab via sudo by the mx-packageinstaller item:

Code: Select all

gksudo mx-packageinstaller &
... To access to the flatpak tab i have to enter an other time the sudo password. (two times is one time too much)

Eit: for a workaround, I had to do this before via the terminal to add the repo.:

# flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

#optional:
# flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists gnome-apps https://sdk.gnome.org/gnome-apps.flatpakrepo
# flatpak remote-add kdeapps --if-not-exists https://distribute.kde.org/kdeapps.flatpakrepo

Last edited by oops on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

#20 Post by fehlix »

oops wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 pm FI:
I have an issue when I went to go to the flatpak tab via sudo by the mx-packageinstaller item:

gksudo mx-packageinstaller &
If this hasn't changed you shall start it such from the command line:

su-to-root -X -c mx-packageinstaller
there might be other alternatives from the command line. But the one you used is not recommended.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Documentation and videos”