Distrowatch review grumbles

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Mauser

Re: Distrowatch reveiw grumbles

#61 Post by Mauser »

Stevo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:09 pm We have a slightly newer 20180807 intel-microcode release in our test repo for now, having been burned once before in the last year with a buggy version. It's also in Stretch-backports...Stretch has 20180703. This person didn't take the time to learn much about MX before bashing it, but we can't help that.

What the heck do antiX kernels have to do with MX? We have plenty of our own updated kernels. Really stinks of troll now--adventurers, be wary! But that's what our success leads to: haters.
You can "do onto others as others do onto you." :eureka: Troll the Troll. :p
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

anticapitalista
Developer

#62 Post by anticapitalista »

Stevo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 pm Any thoughts about changing this?
Version: 17.1
Rating: 10
Date: 2018-08-20
Votes: 2

In limited use, I find it one of the best, easy to use distros, in what is a rather small collection.

I would be using it full time, except for one thing: they put their superb collection of helper scripts in /usr/local. I have my own large collection of (perhaps not-so-superb) admin scripts which I keep there as well, and I would prefer not to mix them.

In the past, /usr/local was supposed to be reserved for the local installation. Now I know there is presently a geek slap fight going on as to whether that should matter. which I choose to remain silent on.

I'd be happier if MX would either integrate their scripts into /usr (which they probably don't want to do for the same reason), or maybe move them to /opt, although I realize there is likely no best solution.

/usr/distro, maybe? Don't like that either.

Anyway, MX is one of the best distros around right now.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think Debian policy says that helper scripts can go into /usr/lib/<packagename>, but if they're talking about the ones in /usr/local/bin, they really should be going into /usr/bin instead.
antiX is not going to move its scripts out of /usr/local/bin so users will just have to get used to it. As far as I know, MX devs did move theirs to /usr/bin.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the 4.18.4 antiX kernel and firefox. I'm using it as I type

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux antix1 4.18.4-antix.2-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 22 12:09:25 BST 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Jerry3904
Administrator

#63 Post by Jerry3904 »

Trolly trolly troll!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

anticapitalista
Developer

#64 Post by anticapitalista »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:42 am Trolly trolly troll!
The one about the antiX kernel and firefox. yes a troll. The post quoted by stevo (and me in my post above) is not a troll, but warrants a reply.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Adrian
Developer

#65 Post by Adrian »

I agree with the guy, I mentioned a while ago that we shouldn't stick scripts in /usr/local it's against Debian and Linux conventions, not sure if the suggested solution "/usr/distro, maybe? Don't like that either." is the right one, I don't like that either. One of the good things about mx-* apps is that they do have a mx- prefix so we can put them directly in /usr/bin/ without risking to clobber anything there... but for GUI apps the name doesn't really matter because you launch them mostly from menu, for CLI scripts it might be cumbersome to have a prefix antiX-blah. What about a /usr/bin/antiX/ would that make sense?

Richard

#66 Post by Richard »

not helpful -- deleted.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

colin_b

#67 Post by colin_b »

The following is thew most ill informed MX review you're likely to see on DistroWatch:
Version: 17.1
Rating: 6
Date: 2018-09-09
Votes: 0

Very strange start menu. A odd bar at left with a tiny clock on top left. Seriously we want a normal and decent menu. Just put LXDE or other alike. Works fine and all but the menu is freaking horrible. I give a 6. Can't install a linux operating system with a start menu like that. No way.
:duh:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#68 Post by Jerry3904 »

Agreed. I have a conspiracy theory that some members of the top older distros are not pleased to see MX rise so high and are trying to drop its numbers with specious complaints.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#69 Post by Stevo »

Most other XFCE distros use the same exact Whiskermenu that MX does, too. LXDE, seriously? Too bad they don't have a system for comments on troll reviews like this.

asqwerth
Developer

#70 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 pm Most other XFCE distros use the same exact Whiskermenu that MX does, too. LXDE, seriously? Too bad they don't have a system for comments on troll reviews like this.
Not only that, Gnome 3 and Unity have always had their dash/dock/launcher icons on the left by default.

And in their announcement of the release of Solus 3, the Solus devs stated that Budgie desktop could now have its panel set vertically. This was in Aug 2017.

https://solus-project.com/2017/08/15/solus-3-released/

What's so weird about MX having its panel on the left?

My view is that no matter how popular or well-regarded a distro is, you will always have some bad reviews, whether it's for valid reasons (you can't please everyone all of the time, people have personal preferences, and MX is not perfect and can always improve) or for silly or malicious reasons. As long as the overall average score is fine, we're ok.

It's like the judging in ice skating competitions where you discard the highest and lowest scores and then average out the rest, to try to even out the effect of partisan/biased judges)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_Judging_System

;)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”