Dark theme tweak [solved]

Report Bugs, Issues and non- package Requests
Gordon Cooper

Re: Dark theme tweak [solved]

#21 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Don't think it is Witchcraft Colin. More likely to be internal smoke like most other electrical devices. When the smoke leaks out, they stop working properly.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

colin_b

#22 Post by colin_b »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 am Don't think it is Witchcraft Colin. More likely to be internal smoke like most other electrical devices. When the smoke leaks out, they stop working properly.
I wondered why my house was so foggy. I thought my eyes were failing ;)

clicktician

#23 Post by clicktician »

colin_b wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14 pm Is this down to running MX on a live USB?
I had this same issue, only my MX17.1 instance is installed, not live.

All I did to fix it is opened Firefox menu (far right). Select Add-ons => Themes. Enabled Dark and disabled Light.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

clicktician

Re: Dark theme tweak

#24 Post by clicktician »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 pm so stumped, but at least its working now for you!
Could it be that, for whatever reason, the dark theme was accidentally disabled (mine came that way and I installed from the June snapshot), and so it couldn't be selected from the environment?
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

colin_b

#25 Post by colin_b »

clicktician wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 am I had this same issue, only my MX17.1 instance is installed, not live.

All I did to fix it is opened Firefox menu (far right). Select Add-ons => Themes. Enabled Dark and disabled Light.
This might explain the problem. I downloaded the Adapta gtk theme from from the popular packages of the PM. I liked its dark theme, so I selected it and shortly afterward enabled the ff tweak. I didn't enable the MX dark theme.
dolphin_oracle wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 pm ...I suppose its possible that somewhere along the way mx-tweak got sideways and displayed a checkbox that wasn't actually working.

Does the default MX theme setting disable the ff tweak as I have found it has once again failed.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#26 Post by dolphin_oracle »

actually, the current gtk/xfce theme has nothing to do with the Firefox Dark Theme Tweak. All the FDTT does is force adwaita onto firefox regardless of the system theme chosen. This can actually be done at anytime, although it makes the most sense with dark gtk themes that don't display text boxes correctly (like the youtube search box). adwaita is a very light theme, but since its the default gtk3 theme, text boxes always display correctly. At the time of FDTT's creation, firefox had just gone gtk3 and it displayed text boxes on many sites in a poor fashion if a dark theme was in use. Either firefox or gtk theme creators have gotten smarter about that of late, but it still crops up.

some firefox settings can actually override this again, but our defaults do not ship that way. For instance, if you added a firefox-specific theme there the firefox add-ons manager (or use the light/dark settings as described by clicktician). I did try a bit with firefox last nite to duplicate the behavior but I was unsuccessful.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#27 Post by colin_b »

I applied the dark theme as suggested by clicktician, as soon as I did so a notification appeared telling me that ff has to be restarted, thus indicating the ff dark tweak was now working. I then reset my theme to Adapta gtk dark and rebooted.

FF now seems to be correct again.

colin_b

#28 Post by colin_b »

I think I've cracked it.

I've just booted and I found that I must have left FF open when I closed down MX as it started automatically on boot. The dark theme tweak was not applied. I closed FF and restarted it. The dark tweak is now applied.

Does FF opening at boot up bypass the tweak?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#29 Post by dolphin_oracle »

colin_b wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 pm I think I've cracked it.

I've just booted and I found that I must have left FF open when I closed down MX as it started automatically on boot. The dark theme tweak was not applied. I closed FF and restarted it. The dark tweak is now applied.

Does FF opening at boot up bypass the tweak?

ah, yes probably. because its launch by the session manager, which is probably launching by full path /usr/bin/firefox.

good detective work!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

colin_b

#30 Post by colin_b »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm good detective work!
Elementary, my dear Dolphin :happy:

Just out of curiosity, can this be addressed as others will undoubtedly come across it, or is it simply a case of close FF if it starts at boot up?

Return to “Bugs and Non-Package Requests Forum”