[Solved]Routers and Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

[Solved]Routers and Linux

#1 Post by KBD »

Wondering what wireless routers you folks use and would recommend? I'm going to need a new one and would like to manage it via browser without having to depend upon Windows for management or firmware updates.

Edit: chose Netgear. Setup was mostly easy with one glitch. Was able to setup in the browser so no Windows needed.
Last edited by KBD on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Routers and Linux

#2 Post by fehlix »

I use:
- FritzBox 7490 - a fairly easy to use alrounder - safe and secure
- Ubiquiti UniFi AP - amazing powerfull, rather for experts
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

I'm happy with my Linksys E2500. I haven't been happy in the past with their firmware so I installed dd-wrt on it before I put it into service.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

KBD

#4 Post by KBD »

fehlix wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 am I use:
- FritzBox 7490 - a fairly easy to use alrounder - safe and secure
- Ubiquiti UniFi AP - amazing powerfull, rather for experts
Will check it out. Had not heard of that one.
I should add I have a single story dwelling and only need to cover about 800 square feet, so I do not need a "monster" size router. I've always used Linksys routers. An EA2700 died on me last night, so I'm using an old back up router right now.

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

timkb4cq wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:04 am I'm happy with my Linksys E2500. I haven't been happy in the past with their firmware so I installed dd-wrt on it before I put it into service.
I bet it runs better with the dd-wrt firmware. How hard was that to flash?
The E2500 looks nearly identical to my EA2700 that died yesterday. First the 5ghz band went out about a week ago, I thought there was an issue with my Roku, but then I started getting dial up speeds last night and reset didn't help :( I remember when I got it the thing was a pain to load updated firmware onto, and now Linksys wants you to set up an online account to manage your router--which seems another point of failure to me if they get hacked.

whell

#6 Post by whell »

I've had the ASUS RT-AC68U for almost 2 years now. Love it for a host of reasons.

- Browser based set up and management (including firmware updates).
- Linux based so 3rd party firmware is available
- Asus firmware very stable and still receiving frequent updates.
- Not one but two USB ports. Great if you're into accessing movies or music from anywhere on the network.
- A number of options to extend functionality of router (VPN, client bridge, UPNP media server, etc.).
- Pretty good range on both bands.

EDIT - oh, and about 18 - 20 devices hooked up wired or wirelessly to this router doesn't seem to bother it at all. TV, printer, work networking, iPhones, iPads, Kindle fires, iPods, etc.
Last edited by whell on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

timkb4cq
Developer

#7 Post by timkb4cq »

For my version 2 e2500 it wasn't too difficult, although the 30-30-30 resets involved are a pain, and for the features I wanted I had to then upgrade to a different build (you can't install it first).
Looks like the version 3 that you would probably find now is a bit harder.
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2500

To be fair, I bought that router because my local tiger direct store (now closed - they went online only) had it refurbished for $25 but it's been reliable.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

whell wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:26 am I've had the ASUS RT-AC68U for almost 2 years now. Love it for a host of reasons.

- Browser based set up and management (including firmware updates).
- Linux based so 3rd party firmware is available
- Asus firmware very stable and still receiving frequent updates.
- Not one but two USB ports. Great if you're into accessing movies or music from anywhere on the network.
- A number of options to extend functionality of router (VPN, client bridge, UPNP media server, etc.).
- Pretty good range on both bands.
That sounds good. Will check it out. Thanks.

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

timkb4cq wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am For my version 2 e2500 it wasn't too difficult, although the 30-30-30 resets involved are a pain, and for the features I wanted I had to then upgrade to a different build (you can't install it first).

To be fair, I bought that router because my local tiger direct store (now closed - they went online only) had it refurbished for $25 but it's been reliable.
That's a good price. Probably flashing the firmware made a big difference on dependability. Flashing the firmware might be a bit above my paygrade though :)

whell

#10 Post by whell »

KBD wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 am
timkb4cq wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am For my version 2 e2500 it wasn't too difficult, although the 30-30-30 resets involved are a pain, and for the features I wanted I had to then upgrade to a different build (you can't install it first).

That's a good price. Probably flashing the firmware made a big difference on dependability. Flashing the firmware might be a bit above my paygrade though :)
It really isn't. I'm by no means technically oriented but was able to figure out how to put DD-WRT on my older Linksys e4200. You do need to very closely follow the instructions, but they are laid out in step-by-step on the DD-WRT site. I still us that router as a bridge / extender when I'm going to be out in the yard and want music out there.

Return to “General”