Alternatives to Mp3Tag

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gerson

Alternatives to Mp3Tag

#1 Post by Gerson »

Hello everyone. Does anyone know a program similar to mp3tag to use it in MX?
I need to embed the metadata of my songs including the covers that I already have. Currently I use mp3tag in VirtualBox with W7 over MX but I do not want to depend on Windows but a program for MX; I have used EasyTag but I have to do each individual file and not in batch; neither does Puddletag do that.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

nanoSYS

Re: Alternatives to Mp3Tag

#2 Post by nanoSYS »

deleted my reply

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

I use kid3-qt. You can work on individual files or select any group (in the same directory) to add common tags. Has drag & drop to add artwork.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

asqwerth
Developer

#4 Post by asqwerth »

Easytag can do some batch work as far as I can recall. In the middle panel you can "select all" of the tracks and fill in the common information in the right pane, like album name, artiste, total number of tracks, etc.

Then you click the apply option (can't recall where it is; maybe right click on all the selected tracks ).

That done you can individually select tracks from middle panel to fill information like track title, track number.

Click apply after each change is done. All this should change the meta data.

There is a final option you can use to rename all the files themselves at one go when you're done with the metadata changes.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gerson

#5 Post by Gerson »

Thanks @timkb4cq; I did not know kid3-qt I just installed it and I liked it because it does everything in batches and works the covers.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

nathan2423

#6 Post by nathan2423 »

My variation on this question: I am working on a series of MP3 files in various directories where I want to find and add cover art.

Clementine has in my view probably the best lookup feature for finding cover art. But if I understand what I am seeing, and this thread, correctly, Clementine cannot embed the cover in the file - apparently it saves it elsewhere and therefore the cover art it uses is not usable in other player applications: https://github.com/clementine-player/Cl ... ssues/1176 The latest post there is October 2017, and there is no indication the feature is provided now. I use audacious and Qmplay2 and move files from computer to computer with other players so art embedding is a necessity.

Kid3 allows searching and adding cover art fairly easily, but in a browser external to the program, and i find that unwieldy and not nearly as elegant as clementine. Further, the program itself oddly laid out. The cover art panel is way down the page on my small-screen monitor, so every time I use it i have to close the Tag1 panel, which seems odd, unnecessary, and no way to hide or turn off that panel in configurations. The layout of Puddletag and Easytag seem far preferable (much more like MP3tag in windows, which is really pretty much the gold standard), but Puddletag and Easytag seem to have no capacity to assist in searching the internet for covers.

So the reason I post this is to ask whether anyone here has an alternative that does a good job both searching for individual covers and then adding them to the internal file tag? Something like Puddletag or Easytag with cover searching added, or a way to get Clementine to save the cover to the file itself.

thanks!

tiger1001

#7 Post by tiger1001 »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 am Easytag can do some ..........
There is a final option you can use to rename all the files themselves at one go when you're done with the metadata changes.
hi
where is this funktion in easy-tag. i can not find the same aktion like in puddletag.
> Filename to Tag or > Tag to Filename . . .and so on.

if you know puddletag, maybe you can tell me why it dont want to work if i put covers in. always hanging.

thanks and have a nice day

sunrat

#8 Post by sunrat »

tiger1001 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:23 am where is this funktion in easy-tag. i can not find the same aktion like in puddletag.
Use the Scanner, there's an icon to bring it up in the toolbar. Easytag can embed images as well.

Friedrich

#9 Post by Friedrich »

Mp3tag seems to run fine here using wine (via playonlinux).
Though, being a tagging maniac, I prefer to use mediamonkey (using wine) for all tagging operations.

tiger1001

#10 Post by tiger1001 »

sunrat wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:36 am
tiger1001 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:23 am where is this funktion in easy-tag. i can not find the same aktion like in puddletag.
Use the Scanner, there's an icon to bring it up in the toolbar. Easytag can embed images as well.
thank you very much. i will try to use it. for me "easytag" is more complicated then "puddletag".

>>maybe someone could help me to find out why puddletag takes houres to finish his work (including covers to the files, normaly seconds but in mxlinux houres)

have a good time

Return to “General”