Wildlife wallpapers

Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive. Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: Wildlife wallpapers

#41 Post by asqwerth »

Thanks for the new pics! That fox is a handsome fellow (my sis in the UK hates urban foxes though, since they overturn rubbish bins and leave the trash - including soiled diapers - all over the ground).

Please don't feel obligated to do them though, if you're busy. This is meant to be for fun.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#42 Post by ChrisUK »

asqwerth wrote:Thanks for the new pics! That fox is a handsome fellow (my sis in the UK hates urban foxes though, since they overturn rubbish bins and leave the trash - including soiled diapers - all over the ground).

Please don't feel obligated to do them though, if you're busy. This is meant to be for fun.
The Urban Foxes are welcome around here... the Rats make more mess ;)

I do feel an obligation to help if I'm able to, but I don't feel pressured to do so ;)

Here's a Sparrowhawk pic to start off with... and some info that might be of interest:

The bird is a juvenile (hatched the year that I took the picture) Sparrowhawk - I can tell the age by the plumage and by the time of year. Sparrowhawks, like most Raptors, don't moult into their adult plumage until their second year. It's probably a female, based on size compared to the prey and prey choice. Top left of the pic you should be able to make out a spread wing of the Sparrowhawk - bottom right of the pic is the back of a Pigeon. Don't worry, despite the Sparrowhawk mantling the Pigeon for a while, inexperience meant that the Pigeon escaped.

Oh, this was in my garden. (1920*1200 image uploaded to usual place)

(Ring-necked Parakeet images and others when I have the time tomorrow.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Jerry3904
Administrator

#43 Post by Jerry3904 »

Gorgeous! Nice depth of field on the head, BTW
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#44 Post by ChrisUK »

She was a striking bird... she won't have that plumage now ;) Actually, she won't have moulted yet, but she'll have worn rather than fresh new feathers.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

asqwerth
Developer

#45 Post by asqwerth »

That eye.....
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#46 Post by Jerry3904 »

Now one of my standard 4 desktops

Did anybody else read H is for hawk?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#47 Post by ChrisUK »

Jerry3904 wrote:Now one of my standard 4 desktops

Did anybody else read H is for hawk?
I've heard of the book, but I can't say that I've read it (I think the author is in one of the forums that I frequent). Most of my time is spent observing and photographing wildlife - much of my remaining time is spent processing pictures. I have a bit of time for wildlife forums and a bit for Linux forums... I don't have much time left for reading a book ;)

I'm glad that you seem to appreciate Raptors, they have a hard time in many parts of the world. There's still people that feed the birds yet bang on the window to scare off a Hawk if one shows up. I've been fortunate to watch Sparrowhawks at close range for years, not the breeding/nesting, but the hunting/ambushing/subduing prey/feeding etc.

I've done it again... wandered off-topic into Nature... I'll stop now. I'll try to find some interesting Sparrowhawk pics, maybe blur the unpleasant parts of the image while still showing the behaviour. I'll test out the images on my wife, as she's squeamish - if she doesn't scream or run away the pics will probably be OK to upload ;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Jerry3904
Administrator

#48 Post by Jerry3904 »

I have a breeding pair of redtails in the ravine next to my house, hear and see them all the time.

arjaybe

#49 Post by arjaybe »

We have kestrels (sparrow hawks) and merlins (pigeon hawks) that visit the yard. They keep the birds at the feeder alert. There are larger hawks that patrol the nearby fields -- cooper's, red-tailed, etc -- they keep the voles alert. Bald eagles and osprey lurk over the river, keeping the fish alert. Golden eagles live on a nearby bluff. I recently watched a standoff between a merlin and a squirrel. Too bad I don't take pictures, eh?-)
Green Comet
Space particles.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#50 Post by ChrisUK »

Jerry3904 wrote:I have a breeding pair of redtails in the ravine next to my house, hear and see them all the time.
Must be great seeing them, especially the flight displays during the breeding season.

I'm one of very few that feeds the birds in a very urban setting (people here hate greenery and love concrete). The first year Sparrowhawks seem to find my garden each year - as their territories overlap, I likely get birds from different nest sites. They are very inexperienced when they first show up, often taking minutes just to subdue small prey that wasn't killed on the strike, whereas the experienced adults take seconds to subdue and start eating prey up to about the size of a Starling. (As you probably know, Hawks, unlike Falcons, don't have the ability to kill instantly (although some learn to kill quickly) they start to eat as soon as they pin down the prey).
arjaybe wrote:We have kestrels (sparrow hawks) and merlins (pigeon hawks) that visit the yard. They keep the birds at the feeder alert. There are larger hawks that patrol the nearby fields -- cooper's, red-tailed, etc -- they keep the voles alert. Bald eagles and osprey lurk over the river, keeping the fish alert. Golden eagles live on a nearby bluff. I recently watched a standoff between a merlin and a squirrel. Too bad I don't take pictures, eh?-)
That sounds like a great area. If your Merlin is the same size as ours, it's lucky that the Merlin flew off - an adult Squirrel is quite formidable with those claws and teeth. The only Hawk that we have that takes Squirrels is the Goshawk. Even large female Sparrowhawks won't tackle a Squirrel, although they will stand their ground and look menacing for as long as possible.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “User contributed Wallpaper”