News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

ZIP File Containing All Artwork for Individual Releases for Downloading

Help for Current Versions of MX
lhb1142
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

ZIP File Containing All Artwork for Individual Releases for Downloading

Post by lhb1142 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm

This is just a question: would it be possible to create a ZIP file which contains all of the artwork for individual releases (for example, all of the MX-17 artwork) so it would be possible to download all at one time instead of selecting each individual artwork creation? I believe that this would save a lot of time. I thank you for your consideration.

lhb1142
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: ZIP File Containing All Artwork for Individual Releases for Downloading

Post by lhb1142 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am

I should also mention that the backdrops for MX-17 are so beautiful that I hope that they will be retained in future versions of MX Linux. In other words, even though new backdrops will be introduced, these current one should, in my opinion, be retained. Unlike those for MX-16, none of the current backdrops have a version number listed on them and I hope that that will remain the case in the future.

In my opinion, the backdrops on MX Linux are the most beautiful of ANY other GNU/Linux distribution I have ever seen.

And I thank the developers for this.

Lawrence H. Bulk

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Paul.. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:54 pm

I agree, it's a good idea Lawrence...

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

skidoo
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by skidoo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Unlike those for MX-16, none of the current backdrops have a version number
Thank you for mentioning this. I agree -- without specific version number, the wallpapers become timeless, can be repurposed.

Separate from the (prospective) zipfile, I'll repeat a suggestion I presented a while back:

To raise (and maintain) brand awareness, post one per week to opendesktop.org site
https://www.opendesktop.org/browse/cat/295/
Weekly, versus all in a batch, because the default display order is SortBy latest

lhb1142
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by lhb1142 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Just in case the developers choose to eliminate some or all of the current backdrops, I have saved them in my Pictures section. That way I can always add them if the developers choose to not do so. But I really hope they'll keep all of the current ones; they are really beautiful.

Lawrence H. Bulk

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 pm

You could just install the package mx17-artwork package (or something like that) from the repo. I think you can also find the mx15-artwork, mx16-artwork and mx16-artwork-extra (for MX16.1) packages as well. You'll also get the grayscale versions of the wallpapers for the login screen in those packages.

After installation, mx15 and mx16 artwork will be saved in usr/local/share/backgrounds, while mx17 (and subsequent versions, I think) will have the backgrounds saved in the more traditional location of usr/share/backgrounds.

The removal of the version number from the WPs was specifically decided on by the Dev team so that the WPs would be better reusable without their age being dated by the version number.

As for artwork, now that we have more users of MX and the forum community has grown, I would welcome more contributors to contribute MX-related wallpaper for the benefit of the community. We have very few creators (creators include people who manipulate photos and graphics) right now taking the time to even post 1 or 2 backgrounds, and I'm sure there must be more of you around with all sorts of different ideas and abilities.

There is a whole sub-forum here: viewforum.php?f=129

for such contributions. Nice ones may find their way into a future release of MX Linux as part of the official default wallpapers.

For MX logos and resources you might wish to use with your backgrounds, see here: https://mxlinux.org/art

Just be aware that if you are using/manipulating other people's images, for wallpapers chosen as official wallpaper for an MX release, copyright licences on artwork and pics must be complied with, so use base material that is public domain or has acceptable licence terms like GPL, cc0 or a Creative Commons licence that allows modification of artwork and is not limited to non-commercial use. I believe OSDisc.com ships MX Linux isos on DVDs for a small price for people with limited data or really slow internet connections, and we don't want to get into an argument as to whether that is commercial use or not.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:57 pm

lhb1142 wrote:Just in case the developers choose to eliminate some or all of the current backdrops, I have saved them in my Pictures section. That way I can always add them if the developers choose to not do so. But I really hope they'll keep all of the current ones; they are really beautiful.

Lawrence H. Bulk
I copy the wallpaper collection of each release of MX in a separate subfolder of my Wallpapers folder in my Data partition, so that I can use them in any of my other distros using the Variety wallpaper-changer application.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Paul.. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 am

Yay, asqwerth! I didn't know about the repo packages mx17-artwork and mx16-artwork...nice.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:36 am

Paul.. wrote:Yay, asqwerth! I didn't know about the repo packages mx17-artwork and mx16-artwork...nice.

I think the old "extras" have been packaged into those new packagaes in the mx17 repo.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “MX Help”