MX-17 Beta 3 Feedback

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: MX-17 Beta 3 Feedback

#91 Post by chrispop99 »

It was brought in when I test-installed LXDE to help someone else - sorry!

I blame the cold meds I'm taking, and the cough that forced me out of bed at 5am today.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

timkb4cq
Developer

#92 Post by timkb4cq »

Jerry3904 wrote:Mugshot has never worked during testing, so we don't include it. Not totally sure it still doesn't work, however, so we should test it now on B3. Thanks.
I installed it, and per feedback in the Arch community discussion, installed accountsservice as well
It shows up in the Settings Menu with the title About Me and it works fine.
In order for it to be picked up by WhiskerMenu you need to right-click on WhiskerMenu -> Properties -> Commands (tab) and check the Edit Profile box.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

spsf64

#93 Post by spsf64 »

Just downloaded Beta 3 and during live usb boot I noticed the intel microcode msg still appears as I reported in beta2 (viewtopic.php?f=94&t=43278&start=160#p427207)

Some suggestions:
1 Add pcmanfm in order to Baobab (disk usage analyzer) be able open directories (it does not work with thunar, at least I can't make it work...)
2 Enable sound events by default (as suggest in a previous post)
3 Consider replacing Clementine by Guayadeque (it has a great online radio support and many other functionalities, also GTK based)
4 Mugshot would be a great addition...
5 Add templates to "Templates" folder; as MX comes with libreoffice installed I think it is good to improve user experince (see attached image)
Sergio Schneider

skidoo

#94 Post by skidoo »

I actually don't know if it works on live or not. If someone could try I would be obliged (I don't have any nvidia cards).
I don't think it can; a re-boot is suggested:

Screenshot.png
Yes, failure due to reboot (and the script isn't aware of the need to repack live-initramfs).
My most recent attempt (probably sgfxi, back around antiX15-b3) failed, and ingrained a "gun shy" outlook.
At the time, IIRC someone posted to insist "is possible" but I don't recall the details/workaround.
Now am wondering: install driver, immediately followed by live-remaster during the same session, would workaround?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#95 Post by dolphin_oracle »

skidoo wrote:
I actually don't know if it works on live or not. If someone could try I would be obliged (I don't have any nvidia cards).
I don't think it can; a re-boot is suggested:

Screenshot.png
Yes, failure due to reboot (and the script isn't aware of the need to repack live-initramfs).
My most recent attempt (probably sgfxi, back around antiX15-b3) failed, and ingrained a "gun shy" outlook.
At the time, IIRC someone posted to insist "is possible" but I don't recall the details/workaround.
Now am wondering: install driver, immediately followed by live-remaster during the same session, would workaround?
possibly. the nvidia driver loads as a kms driver module. In most cases, you don't even need the xorg.conf.

maybe we should have some sort of limit, to install only if persistence file is found. If that works. If it doesn't, we can set it to only work in an installed case. Its relatively easy to detect the live system.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

skidoo

#96 Post by skidoo »

do those graphical problems all result after running mx-viewer? and are they running in a virtual machine or on actual hardware
(I think hardware is what you said but confirming)?
Yes, my testing is always performed on actual hardware.

Yes, launching mx-viewer was the common ingredient across that batch of tests ~~ during that batch of tests, I was assessing the availability of per-item help.
Isn't it easily reproduceable? Both the tool window and the mx-viewer window are positioned, auto-centered. The artifacting appears in parent window as soon as you drag the mx-viewer window (intending to place it side-by-side with its overlapped parent window).

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#97 Post by dolphin_oracle »

skidoo wrote:
do those graphical problems all result after running mx-viewer? and are they running in a virtual machine or on actual hardware
(I think hardware is what you said but confirming)?
Yes, my testing is always performed on actual hardware.

Yes, launching mx-viewer was the common ingredient across that batch of tests ~~ during that batch of tests, I was assessing the availability of per-item help.
Isn't it easily reproduceable? Both the tool window and the mx-viewer window are positioned, auto-centered. The artifacting appears in parent window as soon as you drag the mx-viewer window (intending to place it side-by-side with its overlapped parent window).
Yeah, I can reproduce it here. At the time, I didn't have a mx machine in front of me. I just checked it at lunch.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#98 Post by Jerry3904 »

timkb4cq wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:Mugshot has never worked during testing, so we don't include it. Not totally sure it still doesn't work, however, so we should test it now on B3. Thanks.
I installed it, and per feedback in the Arch community discussion, installed accountsservice as well
In order for it to be picked up by WhiskerMenu you need to right-click on WhiskerMenu -> Properties -> Commands (tab) and check the Edit Profile box.
Good. I meant to follow up on the Arch discussion, but have been diverted. That works great, and I'm good with putting it in the RC as long as we can bring accountsservice in with it during installation.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#99 Post by chrispop99 »

timkb4cq wrote:
Confirmed that procedure worked for me.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Jerry3904
Administrator

#100 Post by Jerry3904 »

Great--I put a request into Tracker so DO could follow it
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”