Old Mepis Resurected

fbt

Old Mepis Resurected

#1 Post by fbt »

Recently I resurected an old PC to finish recording my vinyl to CD/mp3 and it still has the old Mepis running. Since I'm not going online with this old box I'll leave it as is to finish this project. Thought some of you might enjoy a look back at the past.
mepis.jpg

uncle mark

Re: Old Mepis Resurected

#2 Post by uncle mark »

fbt wrote:Recently I resurected an old PC to finish recording my vinyl to CD/mp3 and it still has the old Mepis running. Since I'm not going online with this old box I'll leave it as is to finish this project. Thought some of you might enjoy a look back at the past.
mepis.jpg
I'm still running M11. Still haven't found it necessary to change.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Earl57

#3 Post by Earl57 »

I'm still running M12 on my machines, too. This one on Wheezy, my others on debian 8.x. Still has that Mepis feel.

fbt

#4 Post by fbt »

I admire your effort to stick with an oldy buy goody. Are you able to complile newer apps? Kernels?

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

I was running MEPIS 11 on a work computer up until June this year - partly because of kluges using newer & older versions of tesseract ocr. The older version would correctly recognize certain text that the newer version would not - and vice-versa.
Kernels were not a problem, but building new versions of many userland programs using was getting difficult or impossible by 2015.

But that didn't stop the existing programs from working and they were fine for what I needed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

uncle mark

#6 Post by uncle mark »

fbt wrote:I admire your effort to stick with an oldy buy goody. Are you able to complile newer apps? Kernels?
If your asking me... nothing admirable. I'm just old and set in my ways. I want a Debian based KDE. Haven't found anything I like better than Mepis, and haven't yet found it necessary to change. Only thing that's given me problems is Flash in my outdated browser, but I'm not too concerned about it and have made do. (I stumbled into a strange workaround that makes no sense, but that's another story.)

I'm waiting on MX17, and will see if I can either learn to appreciate Xfce, or see if I can install KDE and Mepis-ize it to my satisfaction.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Ogis

#7 Post by Ogis »

fbt wrote:Recently I resurected an old PC to finish recording my vinyl to CD/mp3 and it still has the old Mepis running. Since I'm not going online with this old box I'll leave it as is to finish this project. Thought some of you might enjoy a look back at the past.
mepis.jpg
Hello. What spec of this machine?

fbt

#8 Post by fbt »

Pentium 4, 2 gig memory, ATI 9000, 2 hard drives with about a 1 terabyte of space.

Return to “Older Versions”