-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-16 public-beta1 available for testing.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

MX-16 public-beta1 available for testing.

#1 Post by anticapitalista » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 am

The MX Linux team is pleased to announce the first public beta release of MX-16 (codename 'Metamorphosis').

Get it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... ing/MX-16/

It is built on the reliable and stable Debian Jessie (8.6) with extra enhancements from the antiX live system and up to date applications provided by the MX Linux packagers.
Just like previous versions of MX, this release defaults to sysVinit.

Available in 32 and 64 bit.
The 32 bit version ships with 2 stable 3.16 Debian kernels (pae and non-pae), while
the 64 bit comes with the more recent Debian backports 4.7 kernel to cater for newer hardware.
All kernels have been patched against the Dirty COW exploit.

Both iso files weigh in at around 1.2GB in size.

What's new?

Aesthetic changes include a newer theme, new wallpapers and icons as well as
improvements to look of the installer.
Have you noticed the newly designed MX Linux website and forums?

Applications:
Xfce4.12 is the desktop environment.
Latest Firefox 49 for browsing and Thunderbird 45.4.0 for email.
VLC 2.2.4 caters for videos and Clementine 1.3.1 for playing and managing your music.
Full LibreOffice 5.2.2 suite
Shotwell 0.24.1 digital photo organizer
Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin with help from bunsen-pepperflash
Chinese and Japanese fonts included on the iso
gimp 2.8.18
grub-customizer 5.0.6
gscan2pdf 1.5.1-1 GUI to produce PDFs or DjVus from scanned documents
mx-clocky attractive desktop-agnostic analog clock
mx-debian-backports-installer
openjdk-8
samba shares
smtube - watch youtube videos without using a browser - ideal for low-powered laptops.
Security: Passwords and Keys 3.14.0

Further improvements and enhancements to running Live from a usb stick or frugally from a hard drive.
New! - live-kernel-upgrader - as it says, upgrade the kernel and remaster a running Live system.
- live-usb-maker - new cli tool to install a full-featured live environment to USB device that boots legacy and EUFI!

Plus many more to discover!

Please post comments, bugs in the thread and enjoy!

anticapitalista, on behalf of the MX Linux team.

Known issue: For flash, install freshplayerplugin
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX-16 public-beta1 available for testing.

#2 Post by chrispop99 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:55 am

I've posted this great news on the MX_Linux Facebook page.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by anticapitalista » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks Chris.

First known issue:

The UEFI grub menus for both 32 and 64 bit versions work just fine, but they are not the ones we will ship with for final since the Customise Boot option is missing.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Adrian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Just a comment, please test if you want and gives us feedback because MX-16 will be the "face" of MX Linux for an year, but you don't have to install, MX-15 is supposed to be upgradable to whatever MX-16 brings. All the programs will be upgradable and we'll make it easier to install the new packages (probably through an easy-to-install metapackage)

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by muskt » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hello. I have just installed the 64 bit version and have it up & running.

After downloading & verifying the md5, I attempted to burn it to a 2g flash drive that I have used before. It would not boot. (Back to Win10.) I located the instruction that said to insert "live" into the prompt. It worked, & booted fine. No surprises. I didn't get to mess around much & actually went back to that other OS to do something. While there, I set up a partition to do an install of MX-16 into. Yes, I know I could have done it in MX, but I didn't. When I got back around to doing the install, I was unable to boot from the USB drive. "Live" did not work. I reburned the ISO 6 times on that drive (with no success) and then tried another drive. On the second burn, I was able to boot, and completed the install.

I think it is beautiful. Everything that I tried worked (I didn't try many things).

I freely admit that when it comes to Linux, I am "dumb as a box of rocks". I do not know if it was my ineptness that caused the boot problems or a glitch. After getting it going, I experienced no more difficulties.

My system is the same as it has been for that last 5-6 years.
I7-930 with 6 G ram
Asus P6 X58 d mobo
Nvidia 550 graphics
Several WD Raptor HDs & a Samsung SSD (Mx is installed on one of the WD drives)

Thank you to the developers--Your efforts are appreciated.

Jerry in Delaware

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:54 pm

I am not getting my dongle working :/

This is what I usually do (what I have written down in my file which worked for mx15):
Installing wireless dongle:
when it does not get recognized enter the two following lines

sudo wget https://github.com/porjo/mt7601/raw/mas ... MT7601.bin -O /lib/firmware/mt7601u.bin

sudo modprobe -r mt7601u && sudo modprobe mt7601u

Alternative is to use the file in backups - wireless, move it to the destination and match permissions.

Left click on the ethernet icon in the notification area to select the network to connect to and enter password
First line now generates a 404, but I still have that mt7601u.bin and the MT7601.bin file which I put in /lib/firmware/ and matched the permissions.

But then when I do the modprobe it gives an error that it couldn't find it *scratches head*

I have rebooted, no dice.

It would be nice to get this working on then mx16 system, but I have NO idea what the commands do (save for the wget, that downloads) exactly. At a loss. Help?
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.111 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by BitJam » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:59 pm

muskt wrote:I attempted to burn it to a 2g flash drive that I have used before. It would not boot.
What program or recipe did you use to "burn it to a 2g flash drive"?

If you had repeated failures with one usb-stick but another one worked after the 2nd try then maybe that first stick was starting to fail. I think it is hard to find usb-sticks smaller than 8G now. Older, smaller usb-sticks are more likely to fail than newer, larger ones. The smallest size for the low-profile ones from Samsung that I like is 32G.

Your motherboard has two usb-3 ports available. For me, the speed of usb-3 has been a game changer for live-usbs. I'm able to boot to the antiX desktop in 10 seconds.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by kmathern » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Eadwine Rose wrote:I am not getting my dongle working :/

This is what I usually do (what I have written down in my file which worked for mx15):

First line now generates a 404, but I still have that mt7601u.bin and the MT7601.bin file which I put in /lib/firmware/ and matched the permissions.

But then when I do the modprobe it gives an error that it couldn't find it *scratches head*

I have rebooted, no dice.

It would be nice to get this working on then mx16 system, but I have NO idea what the commands do (save for the wget, that downloads) exactly. At a loss. Help?
MX-16 comes with the mt7601u.bin firmware file preinstalled and it's probably a more recent version than what you used to download from that github link.

Btw the github repository for it says to not use it https://github.com/porjo/mt7601u

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by Eadwine Rose » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:14 pm

Ok, it didn't see the dongle from the getgo, so....

I guess I am going to reinstall (I overwrote the file already there ;) ) and then run that sudo modprobe -r mt7601u && sudo modprobe mt7601u line then? I wager executing that sudo is the proper course of action?

Anyway, that is for tomorrow :) Thanks!
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.111 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by kmathern » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Eadwine Rose wrote:Ok, it didn't see the dongle from the getgo, so....

I guess I am going to reinstall (I overwrote the file already there ;) ) and then run that sudo modprobe -r mt7601u && sudo modprobe mt7601u line then? I wager executing that sudo is the proper course of action?

Anyway, that is for tomorrow :) Thanks!
Reinstalling the firmware-misc-nonfree package should get you back the original firmware file

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --reinstall install firmware-misc-nonfree

Return to “General”