MX-14 Review

NGIB

MX-14 Review

#1 Post by NGIB »

Saw the link on Distrowatch this morning and read the review. Why are folks so enamored with Plymouth? Other than the author's personal tastes, the system received outstanding marks...

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2014 ... truly.html
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX-14 Review

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks. People will continue to miss the effect of the size limitation, so want to see GIMP, Firefox, whatever.

That chart at the bottom is very impressive--congrats to anti and his crew!

I have created a Reviews page linked off the MX home page, though Peregrine may want to format my basic approach differently...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

NGIB

#3 Post by NGIB »

Personally, not including GIMP is a plus for me as I have never used it, probably never will. I like a distro that includes a relatively small set of applications which lets the end user set it up to their liking, the basics are fine for me.

Bottom line - to produce a full featured distro that fits on a CD and includes the full LibreOffice suite is quite an accomplishment.

Many folks will complain about the no splash screen. Perhaps a tab on the MX-14 docs on installing and configuring Plymouth would be nice? Maybe even a nifty MX-14 Plymouth theme just using the default wallpaper and a status bar?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Many folks will complain about the no splash screen. Perhaps a tab on the MX-14 docs on installing and configuring Plymouth would be nice? Maybe even a nifty MX-14 Plymouth theme just using the default wallpaper and a status bar?
People have been looking at that, but I don't believe we're ready to let it out into the wild. Could be wrong...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dyfi

#5 Post by dyfi »

A boot splash is only seen briefly (all being well) - text is fine with me.

NGIB

#6 Post by NGIB »

dyfi wrote:A boot splash is only seen briefly (all being well) - text is fine with me.
I'm OK with that as well but look at the big deal the reviewer made of it - one of the few negative comments in the review...

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

As with the "sale" of any product, very often the sizzle sells it. Or at least brings people in to take a longer look. In my opinion MX-14 looks great. But others do look for that sizzle.

Regardless of the reviewers issues with aesthetics, (his aesthetics), this was a very positive first review. Encouraging.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Utopia
Administrator

#8 Post by Utopia »

Better than most reviews, they usually talk only about the wallpaper. This reviewer only used one third of his blog to show what he preferred when it comes to art work.
And Plymouth should probably prolong the booting time, can't see why he wants it. Scrolling text is beautiful and fast.
Henry

NGIB

#9 Post by NGIB »

I actually like the wallpaper and that's rare for me - it's generally the first thing I change. I always load the murrine and xfwm4 themes and I use the silverado window border with one of the light murrine themes...

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

It was a good review. I wish he had tried the metapackage-installer. He listed it in included apps, but he didn't try it, instead going for the "PPA" route, showing his ubuntu roots.

But that niddling. Good review really.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Older Versions”